EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Sportie carb suggestion??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:55 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Sportie carb suggestion??

I know this is the wrong forum, but I trust you guys better than some of the others...

I need a suggestion on the O/L's bike. Its an '05 883C with V/H slip ons and I've got an SE air cleaner to put on it.. Its factory jetted, never been opened from what I can tell.. Any suggestions?? I've heard recomendations of peicing a kit with an '88 XL needle and a 45 or 46 main jet, or a Dyno Jet kit.. I do plan to, eventually, bump it to 1200 with cams at a later date, if that might sway your recomendation at all..

Thanks,

Old 03-17-2010, 08:51 PM
roadhog96
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to get some helpful info here. http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm

Old 03-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

If that's a CV carb, I think finding someone that knows the CV carbs, like maybe an aftermarket shop, and having them jet it would be your best bet. Or try what others have found to work, but make sure that's for a 883. We had 3 carbs on Dr.Linda's 883, and they all sucked. The original butterfly, a Screaming Eagle butterfly and a S&S shorty. The original was so lean it was dangerous. The other two were just way too much carb for <900 CC and I don't think they ever had enough air flow past the venturi to work properly. The fuel injection rocks, but that's quite an undertaking. Dr.L says it's like riding an automatic transmission: Just put it in a gear and go. And that's with open drag pipes.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:07 AM
HGM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
If that's a CV carb, I think finding someone that knows the CV carbs, like maybe an aftermarket shop, and having them jet it would be your best bet. Or try what others have found to work, but make sure that's for a 883. We had 3 carbs on Dr.Linda's 883, and they all sucked. The original butterfly, a Screaming Eagle butterfly and a S&S shorty. The original was so lean it was dangerous. The other two were just way too much carb for <900 CC and I don't think they ever had enough air flow past the venturi to work properly. The fuel injection rocks, but that's quite an undertaking. Dr.L says it's like riding an automatic transmission: Just put it in a gear and go. And that's with open drag pipes.

Yea, thats what I'm concerend about... I've got no problem playing with the carbs, but everyone, including nightrider, concentrates on the big twins for recomendations.. It is still a CV and I've got some ideas on what worked for my old 1200, but again, like you said I'm just looking for some been there done that info on the little motor.. Part of the reason we're messing with it now is because of the dangerous hessitations these things have stock..

On that Mega Squirt, did it change the sound likethe HD FI? Thats was one of the criteria when we bought the bike.. She liked the sound of mine over the newer FI bikes.. So, we got the carb..

Old 03-18-2010, 05:12 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

go with a 45 int. jet and a 165 main and you should be fine

Old 03-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

I wouldn't say it changed the sound. Except it doesn't have a flat spot in the middle of the power band anymore. That sounds different. Idle sound is the same.

Going Megasquirt on a carbed bike was a fairly large undertaking. I wouldn't recommend it for someone non-technical. A thorough understanding of bike electrics and some familiarity with Megasquirt is really needed. And getting it all to fit on a Sportster was like putting 8 lbs of shiite in a 5 lb bag. Sure does run good though. I am seriously considering doing my bike too. I suppose I will eventually, it's just a matter of when.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:58 PM
HGM
Road Warrior

Thanks Kirby..

Dr Hess, mind me asking what that Squirt cost?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

According to my service log, I have about $600 in the EFI conversion. Keep in mind that price includes my building the ECU from scratch and it's "based on" a Megasquirt (MS), with some MS parts like the main chip itself, not an actual MS. When I built it, the Microsquirt (uS) wasn't available. Today it is, so that would be easier, but not cheaper. The six bills is pretty much total cost for me, including the fuel pump, Buell throtle body/intake, fuel filters, lines, oxygen sensor, etc. I already had the Stimulator, various laptops and cables and other bits. I don't remember if I added in the cost of the new solder station I bought to build the board. My $5 crap-shack soldering iron, used on the other 2 MS', just wouldn't cut it for the tiny components I had to use on this one.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:37 PM
HGM
Road Warrior

Cool, I'll have to put that on the list to do one day... I'm all about FI, just not sold on the OEM stuff.. I'll probably jet now, its just starting to turn nice here and we'll be on the road as much as possible..
Thanks for the info...