EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Stock keihin carb Hi-flow accelerator pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:00 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock keihin carb Hi-flow accelerator pump

Looking at my New "Andrews products, Inc" catalog for an upgrade to an EV13 or ev27 for my EVO bagger.

On page 16, they sell a high flow accelerator pump for my year '86. Is it worth it to keep the butterfly going with an EV cam upgrade in you opinion?

Off the mark..... Andrews, Inc is only a few miles from my house.

Can I get a cam/high flow from them at a lower cost just showing up at the door?

I have done this with National (makers of windscreens) in Melrose Park, IL. Blemish shields go below 1/2 price. Only 5 miles away.

Really can I get a cam from Andrews at if I walked in their plant??
Opp

Old 03-14-2010, 09:14 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think they would do that. If they did then their dealers wouldn't like that one bit, and their dealers buy a lot more than people coming off the street !!! If you put a CV on the bike, you will put a smile on your face !!!!

Old 03-14-2010, 10:48 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by miacycles
If you put a CV on the bike, you will put a smile on your face !!!!
i second that.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:03 PM
black bart2
Intermediate

A few years back, I installed an Andrews EV27 and a CV carb and manifold. You shoud re-jet the carb. My 1985 FLHT was used as a DD for many years and never had a problem. I still have the FLHT, now used for fun runs since I retired. I woulld never sell it because it's a great bike. I have used other Andrews cams on my early Shovels with good results. Don't waste your time on the stock Keihin carb. I did, with absolutely no improvement, just costly results and a lot of labor. The accelerater pump, Thunder jet, and re-jetting did nothing. Used CV's are a dime a dozen on Ebay. Be sure to get the choke with the carb. Also ask if the plastic inlet to the carb is intact and not cracked. Main and pilot jets are cheap and easily replaced prior to carb installation. The CV is truely a vast improvement over the butterly unit. Just my $.02's.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:25 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior

Thanks for the replys!

Funny thing is after my rebuild of the Keihin and bigger low curcuit jet, the damn thing runs great. It's just I saw this high flow pump kit in the Andrews catalog and I post this question 'Does anyone buy this kit?'

I bought a buddy manifold for use with the CV. Just need to get the other parts. Question, do I need a CV back plate also? I would like to retain the original round air cleaner cover.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Mr1986FLST
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I installed that kit some months ago when I did my rebuild. The kit was easy to nstall and definitely made a difference when just starting onto the throttle, better acceleration....but I am still considering swapping to the CV...my keihin butterfly carb still has an occasional cough that I cannot eliminate despite looking for intake leaks everywhere and not finding any...I shouldn't be so concerned I guess since I've had that forever...I also had lots of probs trying to get it jetted just right...even though it seems to run fine with no signs of running lean or rich when inspecting the plugs, I have the A/f mixture screw backed out almost all the way and even upped a few sizes on the slow jet with no difference. I am about to change cams, and after that I think I'll be going to the CV.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:10 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,823 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by oppirs
Question, do I need a CV back plate also? I would like to retain the original round air cleaner cover.
Yes, the CV backing plate and cover are different in that they have a raised place for the vacuum chamber, but if you do use the stock stuff, no one will ever know it's different from original.

PS; you can still find the logo inserts like your original, but you generally have to get a dealer to do a search to find one. I found one at a dealer in NJ for my 87 Tourglide. They come off rather clean and are no problem to install.

Last edited by t150vej; 03-29-2010 at 07:14 PM.