idle mixture adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010 | 03:00 PM
BIGGERJIM
|
6th Gear
Talking idle mixture adjustment

hey yall
i've got a question for the carb tuners, how in the world are people getting to the idle MIX screw with the air filter on the bike, i get the bike warmed up and i just get frustraded
trying to get to the screw to adjust it, is there some trick i'm missing, or is it my fat hands, bike is a stock 95 low rider conv, air cleaner lid is stock also,
any suggestions would be welcome

Last edited by BIGGERJIM; 03-11-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2010 | 05:09 PM
nwbikerid
Cruiser

I just take a stubby screwdriver and sometimes get my fingers burnt, on that crossover pipe, can't exactly explain it without doing it if you know what I mean. Maybe the last time I did it I had the air cleaner off, it's been a while since I've done it, now you got me wondering how I do it, might have to go out tonight and check it out again.

Old 03-11-2010 | 08:05 PM
nwbikerid
Cruiser

Ok, so I just went out to try it and I'd have to take the air cleaner off too, not an easy by the side of the road thing, but then we all carry tools right? lol

Old 03-11-2010 | 08:26 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

First thing you need to do is find the right screw driver before you ever even warm the bike up. Make sure it fits good and it's not to long. Scribe a line down one side of the one you choose so you can tell how far you are turning it. Get your bike as hot as you can by riding it. Don't let it idle to get it up to temp. Set the idle low so you can hear the difference in the rpms when tuning.

Old 03-11-2010 | 11:32 PM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master

Easy, buy a Mikuni . Dont even need to get off the seat!

Old 03-12-2010 | 06:20 AM
09DynaMan
Banned

funny answers
Of course, the real answer is you cannot access the screw with the stock air box fitted
But you already knew that
Get any screwdriver you like....... lol

Old 03-14-2010 | 09:16 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

I can get to mine real easy, but I do not have a crossover pipe. Lots easier than getting to the idle screw. Guess you need one of those special idle screw drivers to get to that.

Old 03-14-2010 | 08:41 PM
roadhog96
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BIGGERJIM
hey yall
i've got a question for the carb tuners, how in the world are people getting to the idle MIX screw with the air filter on the bike, i get the bike warmed up and i just get frustraded
trying to get to the screw to adjust it, is there some trick i'm missing, or is it my fat hands, bike is a stock 95 low rider conv, air cleaner lid is stock also,
any suggestions would be welcome
I've been hanging around here for a while and finally dicided to register after reading this post. I've had some experince with this topic so thought I'd share my 2 cents. As you already know, it can be done easily with the air cleaner removed. It can also be done with it installed depending on the exhaust system installed. I used a flexible shaft screwdriver and reached right up inside the carb with the air filter cover on. Also used it to remove the float bowl with carb on bike. Or if you have a few dollars to spend, there is a nifty little device on the market that will make it real easy to get at with the cover installed. http://cv-performance.com/index.php?...od&productId=1 Personally I think it's way over priced but it is kind of cool. It's one of those things you would like to have but don't want to pay that much for it, maybe at half that price I would consider it just for the simplicity and ease of making adjustments.

Old 03-15-2010 | 06:24 AM
dremelts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roadhog96
there is a nifty little device on the market that will make it real easy to get at with the cover installed. http://cv-performance.com/index.php?...od&productId=1 Personally I think it's way over priced but it is kind of cool. It's one of those things you would like to have but don't want to pay that much for it, maybe at half that price I would consider it just for the simplicity and ease of making adjustments.
I agree, it is way over priced. Also, I think it is too short. So, I made my own by modifying the stock one. I you have a lathe it is pretty easy. Just chuck it up on the smooth part and drill a shallow hole in the end where the screwdriver slot is. Then, solder a piece of brass rod in the hole. You can make the rod whatever lenth you want so that it extends below the float bowl and is easy to adjust.

Here is a link to a pic o the one that I did: http://www.57panhead.com/images/Carb/IMG_1246.JPG

Old 03-15-2010 | 08:58 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by dremelts
I agree, it is way over priced. Also, I think it is too short. So, I made my own by modifying the stock one. I you have a lathe it is pretty easy. Just chuck it up on the smooth part and drill a shallow hole in the end where the screwdriver slot is. Then, solder a piece of brass rod in the hole. You can make the rod whatever lenth you want so that it extends below the float bowl and is easy to adjust.

Here is a link to a pic o the one that I did: http://www.57panhead.com/images/Carb/IMG_1246.JPG
That's a neat trick Dremelts! Even with the overpriced screw and an extension in the form of a spark plug boot I can't turn mine.

Have you thought about your same idea with a speedometer cable soldered to the screw? That would allow for a near 90 degree bend and make it really handy...

Quick Reply: idle mixture adjustment