EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Good Quality LED Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 06:22 PM
HarleyX89
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Quality LED Kit

Hey guys, haven't been on in a while but I was just looking for some recommendations of good sites with LED kits for my 1989 FLHS.
As of now I have gone through 2 cheap sets($70-100) & 1 good set which was like $160 but I haven't liked any of them & most are so over priced for a few cheap LEDs. I'm gonna search the forums but just thought I'd say hi & ask a Q since I haven't been on in a while.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,321 Likes on 5,873 Posts

I just bought a blinding tail light from these folks...brightest I seen.

http://www.radiantz.com

Old 03-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

I replaced my fender tip bulbs and tour pack bulbs with LED's from superbrightleds.com, using the amber or red ones depending on placement. The LED replacement for those bulbs is working well for me. I have not been able to find an acceptable replacement for the turn signals or front running lights/brake light bulbs (1157) . For the brake light, I am considering cutting up a 18 wheeler trailer LED bulb and adding a white LED for the plate. I don't really need it on my bike, but the fuel injected Sportster needs every milliamp it can get.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:22 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
I replaced my fender tip bulbs and tour pack bulbs with LED's from superbrightleds.com, using the amber or red ones depending on placement. The LED replacement for those bulbs is working well for me.
Where did you get the bulb cross-reference information?

Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Just looked them up myself. There's only like 3 different types: 1156 (1 element, rear turn signals), 1157 (2 elements - brake, front turn/running) and the little funny push in ones for the fender tips and tour pack. Superbright has a 1157 replacement that's like 3 watt or something and I think would work great, but it didn't fit in the brake light socket as the heat sink interfered with it. It was also very expensive, so I returned it.

These were the ones I used for the fender tips/tour pack:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...Fwled-whp6.htm
red or amber, depending on the color of the lens. As I said, I'm happy with these. Fender tips and tour pack side lights aren't that big of a deal anyway, unlike a brake light, for example.

I have some 18's on the front of the Sporty and 24's I think on the trailer, but I'm not real happy with either. They are not bright enough, especially in the daylight. Also, if you swap out your turn signals for LEDs, you are going to have to change out the flasher module too. If you have one of those "smart" modules that cancels, you may have other problems. My bikes have a standard automotive turn signal flasher, so it is easy to swap out. I bought a universal one from superbright and put it in the headlight bucket on the Sporty in place of the OEM one.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:54 PM
HarleyX89
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a good kit with a decent price on Amazon called Stingerz level 2 accent LED lighting kit, price at $150. 144 LEDs in total so I think I'm gonna go with this set & use that Radiantz link to add some 30 LED strips to the frame later on.
Thanks for the links guys, sorry if there was any confusion on the topic. I've gone through so many of these kits & most are completely over priced junk but the radiantz link & what I found on Amazon seem really high quality. Finally found me a job & my 2nd check is going to this & a new windshield since mine is 1 stray rock away from shattering it is so cracked. lol.
I finally have everything pretty well taken care of on my bike so now I want to focus on more cosmetic accessories.
Well thanks again for all the replies.