Dim Yellow Lighting on 96 Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 11:06 AM
CandyMaker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dim Yellow Lighting on 96 Electra Glide

Hi,

I'm looking to improve the lighting on my 96 Electra Glide Classic. Before I ask for help let me give you a little background on me and the bike.
I bought the bike over the summer and it's my first Harley. Except for the oil cooler, everything on the bike is stock. I have very little experience working on vehicles. One of the reasons I bought a semi-older bike was because I wanted to learn how to do some basic maintenance and improvement projects on a motorcycle. I have about 5 years riding experience and feel that improving the lighting on this bike would improve its safety too.
With all that said I think an HID headlight would look sweet and increase performance. I've done some preliminary research by reading reviews on HID set ups both HD and aftermarket and watched some install videos on youtube. Although I have limited wrenching experience I feel like I could install one of these lights. But I have some reservations about the project...

I've read that installing HID lights and other lights for that matter (LED) put added stress on the existing wiring system. Would I be entering that territory if I replaced the headlight? I know I couldnt rewire the lighting system and Im pretty sure that if I have to start adding other pieces of equipment I could get in over my head very fast. After the headlight Im sure I would get the itch to do another light or two...how many can you do before its an issue?

Sorry if these are basic/dumb *** questions. I would just like to try it myself before just taking it to the dealer.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

LEDs draw very little power. You can upgrade the headlight without going all the way to HIDs for less money with Sylvania Silverstars or something like an Osram 80/100 bulb. The bike can also handle the addition of spots. Lots of good info available on the subject.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:51 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Silverstars! As for led's, around 40 of them is equal to 1 regular bulb so you can go full Elvis if that's what blows your hair back!!
You can change out your headlight pot for a custom look & still run Silverstars. I think that is a little cheaper but the light will be awesome. Older bulbs will go yellow just from age but check & clean any & all ground connections you have!

Old 02-03-2010, 06:30 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

I remember in the older days......the headlight was always dim/yellow everytime at idle. Turn signals wouldn't flash either. You had to keep the motor reved up just to keep the lights working properly! Those were the days....thankgoodness for 12 volt systems!!

You can do several things with lighting......whatever you do, don't forget about the rear lighting. Rear lighting is what really counts though....you want the folks behind you to see you. I suggest upgrading the rear first....I would start with a 2 in 1 that turns your turn signals into brake lights.

Enjoy your bike though.....plenty of things to with that model year. It is so much easier to find parts and to upgrade HD bikes 1996 and newer. It is almost like Harley forgot about or doesn't care about the 1995 and older!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:53 AM
CandyMaker
Novice

Thanks for the ideas guys.

It sounds like just upgrading the bulbs may be the way to go for me. Definately a project up to my skill level. I agree that the rear lighting needs some major upgrading too. I plan on getting the BAL-1 light for the tail light. For me its video that sells the product and the videos of those lights look incredible.

As far as the model year of the bike 96 may be a good year for some stuff but I am having problems finding equipment I'm looking for. Seats for the Electra Glide changed between 96-97 and I'm having a hard time finding one that fits the 96. Also I wanted to get the hardware to make the Tour Pak detachable, same thing. The hardware only fits 97 and newer. Is there a good website for pre-97 equipment? I googled a bunch of different things looking for one and I can't find a site that carries 96 detachable hardware equipment. I went to the dealer and asked a parts guy if he had any vendors he could recommend and he told me to fabricate one. I said thanks and walked away. I dont have those kind of skills.

Thanks again for the advice on going with better bulbs rather than HID. I now begin my search for new bulbs and lens'. Sounds like I'm going have fun replacing everything next weekend.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:46 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

dont count yourself short on skill's. you have just never tried that kind of project! Have you searched through jc whitney for parts? they dont carry everything but if you find a part they are usually a lil cheaper. Keep your eyes open for swap meets as well. There is always some cool bling floating around at those places & if you dont find your part, You will have seen alot of hooters while you were lookin!!!
I will see if I can dig up some links for you to look through!
Hatch.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:20 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Before you start replacing, you might want to do some checking to ensure that all is well in your electricalcharging systems. Start with the grounds, then check the various switches and connectors for voltage drop. After you are sure that all is well then you can upgrade and be pretty much worry free. Adding a load to a shaky electrical system is asking for trouble. Hope this helps..

Old 02-03-2010, 01:54 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CandyMaker
Thanks for the ideas guys.

It sounds like just upgrading the bulbs may be the way to go for me. Definately a project up to my skill level. I agree that the rear lighting needs some major upgrading too. I plan on getting the BAL-1 light for the tail light. For me its video that sells the product and the videos of those lights look incredible.

As far as the model year of the bike 96 may be a good year for some stuff but I am having problems finding equipment I'm looking for. Seats for the Electra Glide changed between 96-97 and I'm having a hard time finding one that fits the 96. Also I wanted to get the hardware to make the Tour Pak detachable, same thing. The hardware only fits 97 and newer. Is there a good website for pre-97 equipment? I googled a bunch of different things looking for one and I can't find a site that carries 96 detachable hardware equipment. I went to the dealer and asked a parts guy if he had any vendors he could recommend and he told me to fabricate one. I said thanks and walked away. I dont have those kind of skills.

Thanks again for the advice on going with better bulbs rather than HID. I now begin my search for new bulbs and lens'. Sounds like I'm going have fun replacing everything next weekend.
It's NOT TRUE that the detachable hardware only fits 97-up bikes! I've griped about the detachables hardware not fitting pre-97 elsewhere here - but I figured out that it DOES! The MoCo just doesn't advertise it. I have the detachable Tour Pak rack on my 95 FLHTP pictured in my sig below. All you have to do is put another washer between the frame and the spacer on each of the four bolts on the detachable hardware kit that bolts to your bike - to move each side out from the frame about 1/16" to 3/32"! Then the detachable Tour Pak rack will slide right onto them. The 97-up frames are just slightly wider back there.

Why the MoCo wouldn't include the additional 4 $.05 washers to make the detachable Tour Pak rack fit pre-97 models is stupid... but it fits their "we want you to buy a new bike, so we're not going to do anything to help you fit stuff onto your old one" mentality these days.

I second the recommendation of lighting up the rear of your bike! The brighter it is, the better you might attract the attention of the driver behind you! Mine is lit up on the rear like a Dutch brothel. I got a Kuryakyn light controller to make the standard turn signals and Tour Pak lights act as brake lights without having to have two-filament lightbulbs and sockets - it plugged right in. (I have the rear light bar that goes across the rear of the Tour Pak). When I hit the brakes, a whole lot of lights fire up back there! It also pulses all of them them 3 times and then they stay on solid until I release the brake. I put one on my wife's bike, too.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 AM
ToWhlRidr
Advanced

I have a 96 EGC and have run into a similar problem with what will or will not fit the 96. I have added the detachable hardware from the 97 and newer bike and it bolts up perfectly. The problem was I needed a longer bolt for the fender bolt. I went to Fastenal and picked up some bolts and was fine. As for the headlight, I went with the Silverstar bulb. I do some late night or early morning riding and it helped greatly. I also added the fuel console from the street glide. I had to figure a way to attach the t-bracket at the base of the console, but it looks nice. So, I take the 97 or newer hardware won't fit ask a suggestion, not a rule.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:20 PM
CandyMaker
Novice

Hey Everyone,

Just did some upgrades today. I agree that the years listed in the parts catalog don't mean much when it comes to fitting here's two examples from my experience today:

1. I purchased the halogen headlamp p/n 68342-05. According to catalog "fits 00-later touring models with 7" headlamp". I plugged it right into the bike and put together the stock hardware. The lamp fits perfectly and looks much nicer.

2. Also purchased auxilliary lamp bulb kit p/n 68348-05. According to catalog "direct replacement for original equipment". The kit came with a wiring harness to connect with the existing harness. The problem is my bike doesnt have wiring harnesses on these bulbs. The bike's wiring has a "U" connector directly to the lamp. No harness. Does anyone know where I can buy the harness that connects to my bike and connects to the new harness? I called the parts guy that helped me today but he hasn't called back yet. I also need nesting rings for these lamps? Would the dealer carry those too? Sorry to be such a noob.

Also replaced the original 96 windshield today and added some trim to the batwing. Feeling pretty good about myself and the bike today. Skill level up from 0 to 1.

Quick Reply: Dim Yellow Lighting on 96 Electra Glide