EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Reuseable Oil Filter....Bunk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:40 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave71
Doesn't sound so bad. The magnets and ability to inspect the filter seem like a damn good idea, too.

hard to justify a $200 filter, though
Maybe - that's 20 oil changes at $10 per change, so yes it's expensive. But, you don't throw away a filter at every oil change, so that helps the environment, and I think it cleans the oil much better and therefore it protects the engine much better... what's that worth? To me, it's worth a lot.

Like I said, I bought it primarily to clean my oil better, and it was worth it to me to have something like this in place of paper filters, which seem like pretty ancient technology to me. It's funny that people spend so much for a Harley, and Harleys are known for being hard on oil due to the heat, etc. - but everyone just uses old technology paper filters without ever really thinking about what actually goes on inside of it. Paper filters run oil PAST the paper, not through it, and the paper is supposed to grab any small pieces of metal in the fibers of the paper. In a demo, the Pure Power CEO cut apart a new filter and tried to blow through a single piece of the paper, and couldn't. He said if you can't blow through it, you sure can't expect oil to be able to pass through it. Then he held up the tightly woven stainless steel screen that his filter uses, and he could blow through it easily - that's the screen that traps anything bigger then 25 microns in the oil flowing through it. It was pretty convincing to me... and the fact that large fleets and racers use his product is even more convincing. I'm thinking of getting one of his filters for my Avalanche and my wife's Mariner as well.

To me, having a woven stainless steel 25-micron screen that the oil goes THROUGH is a lot better than having paper that the oil goes PAST. There's also a bypass that opens at 16 lbs of oil pressure to let the oil flow by a completely clogged screen - which shouldn't ever happen unless your engine is destroying itself, or you haven't cleaned the filter in 50,000 miles. I also like the machine fins all the way around the filter that increase the external surface area to provide oil cooling like the fins on the cylinders do. It just makes a lot of sense to me! And the two internal magnets that will each grab onto a bunch of ferrous metal passing by - that's a good thing too, I think.

I think it's a far superior product to any paper filter... but to each his own. I don't get paid to sell these things - I just want to protect my engine as much as possible, and using the Pure Power oil filter seems to be an excellent way to to do that. If I ever read anything that convinced me that this filter is a bad thing for my engine, or that paper filters really are better, then I would have no qualms about going back to them... but I haven't read anything like that, and I really don't expect to.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:41 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

didn't mean to start a filter debate, my man.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:05 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

didn't mean to start a filter debate, my man.
This thread IS about filters!

Old 01-19-2010, 05:19 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
This thread IS about filters!
Hey...Captan Obvious...that you?

Heh..yes, I know it's about filters...but it's gonna turn into the usual "reusables are stupid" vs whatever else that's been done ad nauseum.

Guy asked specifically about the ones on ebay, that's all.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,105 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Re-useable filter on a HD? No way. Frist on the Aircraft Filter vs a regular filter remember there isn't a whole lot for dust and grime at 5,000 ft., very little humidity, and the filter is designed to go to by-pass real easy. Aircraft filters are replaced or cleaned every 100hrs or less, not by mileage. Turbine engines use metal mesh filters, piston a/c usually use paper filters. The reason is because a turbine does not "make metal" if it does it will quit running soon. Actually what the filter catches is a lot of "coke"/carbon that is created in the labyrinth bearings and then is cleaned out with an ultra sound cleaner. Also there is usually some sort of centrifugal filter system to catch and metal that may enter the system and again there is a mag plug to catch the metal. If you get a mag plug lite you are required to land as soon as possible and check the plug.

Your HD has a magnet in the bottom of the oil tank attached to the drain plug, so that is redundent.

Explaine to me how a metal mesh is going to capture dirt particales and filter out contaminants like water, carbon, unburnt fuel? These things are absorbed in a paper filter.

But to answer your question, No I would not use one. Replaceable filters are cheap and a sure bet of not reintroducing contaminats to the oil, soap and water???? Water is what we want to keep out.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:48 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey...Captan Obvious...that you?

Heh..yes, I know it's about filters...but it's gonna turn into the usual "reusables are stupid" vs whatever else that's been done ad nauseum.

Guy asked specifically about the ones on ebay, that's all.
Dave - why are you getting upset? This is a forum after all, and I was just trying to help out the OP with some experience and information about reusable filters that I think is very much related to the specific question he asked. Isn't that what a forum is all about?

In a thread, are we only supposed to directly answer the OP's question? In that case, my answer to the OP is simply NO. Wow - that's really useful, huh? Or should we try to provide a bit more meaningful input for the purpose of helping others here?

And by the way, I was responding to your post saying you thought the magnets were a good idea, but that $200 was really expensive. How's that related to the original post?

I am not interested in debating anyone about the merits of reusable filters - I was simply passing on my experience and opinions like everyone else on this thread has. But I've had enough of this one...

Old 01-19-2010, 06:34 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
Dave - why are you getting upset? This is a forum after all, and I was just trying to help out the OP with some experience and information about reusable filters that I think is very much related to the specific question he asked. Isn't that what a forum is all about?
Not upset in the slightest.

In a thread, are we only supposed to directly answer the OP's question? In that case, my answer to the OP is simply NO. Wow - that's really useful, huh? Or should we try to provide a bit more meaningful input for the purpose of helping others here?
You misunderstood my intent, or I didn't express it well enough. Either way, there's no need for all this.

And by the way, I was responding to your post saying you thought the magnets were a good idea, but that $200 was really expensive. How's that related to the original post?
Totally unrelated, almost completely off topic on my part. I think what I MEANT to say was "didn't mean to derail the OP's thread"

I am not interested in debating anyone about the merits of reusable filters - I was simply passing on my experience and opinions like everyone else on this thread has. But I've had enough of this one...
Who's upset now? Not worth that kind of response. Hope you're not as annoyed as you sound as there's no reason for you to be. Just a little bit of the ol' "things in type often come across wrong" stuff.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

OK gents. I have what I need. The deafening silence of our fellow EVO riders (who are more interested in riding what they have instead of the latest color) speaks volumes. NGH, thanks for your experience, but I´m gonna pass.