EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Reuseable Oil Filter....Bunk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:37 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I think W.C. Fields said, there's a sucker born every minute.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:25 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pure Power filters are not "crap" and neither are K&P

Old 01-17-2010, 06:44 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i looked at this type of reusable filter before, not this exact one, and they look good but then i thought how much of a pain to clean it and its so much cheaper and easier to just buy a harley one and be done with it.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:53 AM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is your engine,but I sure wouldn't !

Old 01-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,432 Likes on 5,023 Posts

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
I think W.C. Fields said, there's a sucker born every minute.
P.T. Barnum

Old 01-17-2010, 08:13 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

No way,just not worth fooling around with.Filters that are proven to work are cheap enough.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:01 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Pure Power permanent oil filter on my bike. I am not affiliated with the company in any way. I just have the product on my bike.

Pure Power makes these for aircraft, which have far higher standards than ground-based vehicles, and also for the racing market. I figure if it's good enough for those markets, it's good enough for my bike.

It's aircraft-grade billet aluminum outside and a woven stainless steel mesh filter on the inside, that is claimed to filter down to 25 microns, or half the width of a human hair. It also runs all the oil through the filter, in contrast to throwaway paper filters that only run the oil past the paper filter, and it is claimed to flow 16 gallons per minute, which is about 4-5 times what a paper filter flows. They claim it "frees" power through flowing so freely, so the engine doesn't have to work as hard to pump the oil.

One of the cycle mags did a test of their own a few years back on it. They put fresh oil in a bike, ran it, then dynoed it. Then they replaced the oil with Pure Power oil and the permanent filter, and re-dynoed. The difference was 9 HP and about 8-9 ft/lbs torque.

I'm not saying it really does all of that, but I like the filter and the fact that it flows all oil through the filter, and cleaning it is easy. It also has fins machined on the outside which are claimed to act as an oil cooler.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:50 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
and cleaning it is easy.
doesn't really sound easy at all.

I always liked the idea...at the very least if we all used these we'd be throwing away less filters...but unless someone has one of those "safety kleen" type basins or something...?

Old 01-17-2010, 05:42 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave71
doesn't really sound easy at all.

I always liked the idea...at the very least if we all used these we'd be throwing away less filters...but unless someone has one of those "safety kleen" type basins or something...?
It's a piece of cake to clean. You just unscrew the outside cover - the main body stays attached to the oil filter mount - and take out the stainless steel filter and shake it in some parts cleaner or a bucket of warm soapy water. rinse it off and shake it well to dry it, and snap it back on, then screw the outer cover back on. Takes all of 5 minutes or so to do, and nothing gets thrown away.

I didn't buy this filter primarily to be "green" though... I bought it to filter my oil a lot better than paper disposable filters do. And think it does.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:09 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
It's a piece of cake to clean. You just unscrew the outside cover - the main body stays attached to the oil filter mount - and take out the stainless steel filter and shake it in some parts cleaner or a bucket of warm soapy water. rinse it off and shake it well to dry it, and snap it back on, then screw the outer cover back on. Takes all of 5 minutes or so to do, and nothing gets thrown away.

I didn't buy this filter primarily to be "green" though... I bought it to filter my oil a lot better than paper disposable filters do. And think it does.
Doesn't sound so bad. The magnets and ability to inspect the filter seem like a damn good idea, too.

hard to justify a $200 filter, though

Quick Reply: Reuseable Oil Filter....Bunk?