EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ultra Purchase. Twin Cam or Evo

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:28 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucker99
6) Sound: Woh, nothing sounds better that an EVO piped right.
Shovelhead with straight pipes.....

Old 01-13-2010, 03:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hackd
Any shovel! Having owned all three generations of big twin my FX probably had the best sound and low down torque. I was really disappointed with my Evo when I first bought it, but it slowly grew on me, helped by various improvements. My TC is really my wife's, although I get to ride it as much as she does and I still don't like it, mainly because of its vibration.

It seems we've pretty well covered this topic, of late Evo versus modern TC! If you buy an Evo at half the price of a new bike and are prepared to spend some of what you save you can have a cutting edge bike. You can improve performance with cam, ported heads and perhaps big-bore cylinders, which will put most TCs behind you. A stabilizer kit will give you a better handling bike and new shocks will improve ride and comfort, topped off with a rebuilt saddle to suit you and yours. All these services are available from HDF sponsors, who get great feedback from fellow HDFers.

With a few suggestions from the rest of us here we will have you fully kitted for that world tour in no time!

Old 01-13-2010, 06:37 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

1997-1998 Touring bikes were great. But, they also had their weaknesses as well. The Magnetti-marreli EFI definately had its short comings though. Lots of stuff on those bikes can be upgraded though....with cash! EFI can be replaced with carburetor or can be replaced with the current Delphi system with a few kit/modifications.

My father bought a 2010 Ultra Limited....I've ridden it a few times. I have to say that it is a very nice bike and feels ALOT Lighter than any EVO bagger. Fly by throttle takes time getting use to and the electronic setup takes time as well. It is nice to have that extra 6th gear, but in reality....it really does not make a big difference. I really do not like the heat from the new bikes either....my EVO gets hot, but not hot like the TC does. I also did not like the seating arrangement either....Harley must have changed the seating position/handlebar position because I almost felt like I was on the bike rather than in the bike.

Both bikes can get you to the same place and at the same time. Both bikes can carry about the same amount of stuff. Both look about the same from a distance. As much as I like the new one, my old EVO wins in my book though.

Try them out......I think you'll like them both.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:12 AM
bigtone
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys,
V2 you mention the 09 is a totally different bike;does that mean better? At the risk of sounding like a smart ***; I can't help but notice you still have a strong attachment to the '96. Doesn't sound like it was like an old PIA girl friend that you couldn't wait to replace with someone better. So the question is: Is the 09 $20K better than your '96? Sorry to back you in a corner...

GR: You're right, there's a wealth of knowledge here. That's why I'm still considering an EVO. It's common knowledge that a stock dresser EVO packed with gear, and 2-up lacks ***** in the mountains. A cam change appears to make a world of difference.

I'm concerned about the frame and ergonomics of the bike. The tailwagging that V2 mentions is a real concern, and dangerous, especially ridding 2-up. That's a new one; perhaps the bike was damaged in a crash and the swing arm tweeked? Characteristic of the roads down under maybe?

So far this is what I got:
1) Clutch pull. The new ones have it here. Us old farts with arty can surely appreciate
that.
2) Power. I've read here that an Andrews cam, period, put's you right there with 96 CI'ers. True or False?
3) CD player. New Ultra's definately have it over the cassete.
4) Brakes. Not sure but my Heritage has a single rotor on the front and I don't have any problems. Not sure if I buy into that ABS stuff. If you brake correctly in the first place you shouldn't need it.
5) Vibration: Don't know. The twin cam guys say that counter balance engine makes you feel less tired after ridding an hour. A crock or what?
6) Sound: Woh, nothing sounds better that an EVO piped right. The TC sound like a Star (Yamaha) IMHO.

The pilot & queen seat look identical on both bikes. Am I missing anything??

Sorry to ramble guys but I hate pissing money away if I don't have to. Worse yet, I DON"T want the queen saying "you should have bought a new one". There are some real deals out there on old dressers!
First, I have a 90 ultra and I could not believe how much better the brakes were after I rebuilt the calipers. They do work nice if you keep up with the maintenance. Some guys brag about how much better their twin cam dressers are than their old evos, but part of it is comparing a new bike to a 20 year old bike. Next, the counterbalanced engines are in the softails, not the rubber mount bikes. Overall, I say buy an evo an put some of the money you are saving into upgrades. I put an andrews EV-27 in mine and I am very impressed.

Attached Thumbnails Ultra Purchase. Twin Cam or Evo-bothbikes.jpg  
Old 01-13-2010, 08:09 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hackd
Well that was a given with those heavy flywhels.

a buddy of mine has a 93 shovel in a fxe, and imma steal it .

Old 01-13-2010, 09:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by bigtone
First, I have a 90 ultra and I could not believe how much better the brakes were after I rebuilt the calipers. They do work nice if you keep up with the maintenance.
True! But these days I find a pair of 6-pot callipers with 13" discs are just fine. When I have fitted my later swingarm and rear brake I will be able to call on 16 brake pistons to slow me down. Bike had five originally!

Overall, I say buy an evo an put some of the money you are saving into upgrades. I put an andrews EV-27 in mine and I am very impressed.
Agreed about buying an Evo, but be warned. My EV27 was great, until I had a rush of blood and installed a stroker crank. That was wonderful, but my new S&S 107 gets me by.

Evos are a great place to start - so much scope, so little time!

I am really looking forward to us getting our teeth into Tucker's new bike!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:35 AM
96 FXD
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally prefer Evo's, but they are not getting any easier to find. The older ones are falling in price, but parts availability isn't always the best (something to consider if you do a lot of touring), and you can count on the bike probably having some miles and needing some work. The later Evo's are great, but are priced pretty close to the Twinkies, and usually have lots and lots of miles on them.

You could not pay me to own a bike newer than '05, period. You can always add a 6 speed to an older bike. Or throw a carb on one, etc.

If you were blindfolded, and rode a later evo bagger, and then a identically setup twinkie bagger, you are not going to notice a difference, at least not night and day. It's all going to depend on how the bike is setup.

I would look for the best deal I could find, regardless of year. The price difference between the late Evos and earlier Twinkies is slim in many cases. You should be able to find a beautiful bagger, with motor work and mods already done, with under 25K, for well under $15K. Probably closer to $10K if you really look and have cash in hand, ready to buy.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:10 AM
legacycycles
Oops

Enough said,I cant add anyhting else.Good job guys.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great stuff here!! I can't help thinking there are a bunch of old farts (like me) on this forum because you'all think like me! What wasn't mentioned is the milage thresh-hold. At what milage to you walk away from an old evo. Mine has 50K on the clock. I bought it 2-years ago with 30K on the clock. Service was unknown and I replace the cam brg and lifters because...everyone here told be to. Bike runs great. There's an HD dealer selling a 95 Ultra with 70K on it for 5K!! I called and it was a trade, no service history and no warranty with the bike. Appearance wise the bike is very clean; but at that mileage is something going to grenade inside. Yea I'll do the same thing, change the cam brg and lifters, a $500 expense no big deal. But if I gotta replace pistons and bore jugs, I'm not sure I want that project. Now, this is not what everyone mentions, this is getting the bike up to spec. I would need to do that in addition to the improvements mention here right right? Ok, ok did I read right? a post said the new Ultra's vibrate more that the EVO's!! WTF!! That alone is reason to head for the old stuff! Yea, gotta admit a shovel sounds the best. Haven't seen one in a long time; think they're going the way of the Dodo bird. Too much of a PIA to keep running.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:38 PM
legacycycles
Oops

Yea, gotta admit a shovel sounds the best. Haven't seen one in a long time; think they're going the way of the Dodo bird. Too much of a PIA to keep running.
I know this is the evo forum,but easy fellow,old harley never die.

Quick Reply: Ultra Purchase. Twin Cam or Evo