EVO All Evo Model Discussion

machinist

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:28 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by t150vej
The increase from 80" to 83" is a marketing ploy. The Evo is 1340cc is approx. 81.7" so you won't gain any appreciable "size" with that type conversion. You would only be going from a 1340 to a 1360. The 10:1 pistons would add some level of performance, but I don't think you can buy a better quality cylinder than OEM. They have a high nickel content in the liner which is one of the major ingredients of their longivety.

If it's the torque plate issue on your mind, yes, when oversizing you must use them, but assuming the bore is good, to simply scuff hone (break the glaze) to allow new rings to seat, they're unnecessary. I've used straight blade flex hones and ball-type flex hones on countless jugs with absoutely no problem whatsoever.
What he said, use a ball hone and itll knock the glaze off the cylinders, I always use hastings rings, they are the makers of the stock harley rings anyway, If your loooking for more performance, take them heads to a decent machinst up your way and have him knock .040 off the head surface, itll give you a bump of compression and you wont be so out of pocket for shipping and such. chad.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by t150vej
The increase from 80" to 83" is a marketing ploy. The Evo is 1340cc is approx. 81.7" so you won't gain any appreciable "size" with that type conversion. You would only be going from a 1340 to a 1360. The 10:1 pistons would add some level of performance, but I don't think you can buy a better quality cylinder than OEM. They have a high nickel content in the liner which is one of the major ingredients of their longivety.

If it's the torque plate issue on your mind, yes, when oversizing you must use them, but assuming the bore is good, to simply scuff hone (break the glaze) to allow new rings to seat, they're unnecessary. I've used straight blade flex hones and ball-type flex hones on countless jugs with absoutely no problem whatsoever.
I'm running the Revoultion Performance 85" kit at 10.5 to 1 with ported SE heads and some other goodies with excellent results, like dynoed at 98.6/95.3. This kit is not an inexpensive eBay special though and other mods are required to achive my level of performance. Otherwise Rufus is correct in how to proceed.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:50 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hatchetman
RAIN............every day!
Recoopin' from shoulder surgery so I cant even wrench on the old iron bitch for a few more weeks!
But Im not in the snow, I could ride if I wasn't all stiched & screwed together.
Hatch.
If Bertha ever heard me call her a bitch, she'd throw a rod!

Hope you heal up soon, Hatch!

Old 01-06-2010, 07:27 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok so back to the added compression , what effects does it have on 89 evo cases and which is recommended if I need to go oversize on my cylinders or if cost warrants going with a cylinder/piston bore kit? And what is the proper combination needed with a stock head if I keep the heads I have as far as which compression piston. Also is the stock ignition ok?

Old 01-06-2010, 08:21 PM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ridemywg
Ok so back to the added compression , what effects does it have on 89 evo cases and which is recommended if I need to go oversize on my cylinders or if cost warrants going with a cylinder/piston bore kit? And what is the proper combination needed with a stock head if I keep the heads I have as far as which compression piston. Also is the stock ignition ok?
Well, you need to tear it apart and see what your dealing with, see how much taper is in the bore and if how the bore actually looks. Secondly, i dont think added compressioin will effect your cases, i believe the only single hang up in 89 was the left bearing race coming loose, but i could be wrong, youd have to ask one of the more seasoned hd riders, but dont lose sleep over it. In my opinion only, harley has a very very hard cylinder/jug, it usually takes over 50k miles to show wear and sometimes they dont even at that mileage. If you dont wanna deck the heads, you can purchase a set of 9.5 to 1 keith black pistons from jireh cycles for 114 bux, and they will ship to canada, if you question your jugs, send them off to scott at hillside, let him give them whatever they need, and order the pistons thru jireh yourself, youd still be ahead of what your looking to spend, chad. p.s stock ignition is perfectly acceptable for easy rider.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:14 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Chad some very good points.I went up to our local kawasaki dealer yesterday, the main guy there is a long time harley wrencher, long time acquaintance, although he wasn't there I talked to his wife , seems hes slow this time of year so looks like I;ll get him to give the bottom end a once over and either him or I will mic the jugs ( I'll do it if I can understand the procedure, from my rebuilding evo motor dvd I recently acquired they show to only mic the top of jug area compare it to piston, but I think there's more to it than that. I can then see what scott can make available.