EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Suggested maintenance for 1995 EVO with 35k

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:59 PM
abbzer0
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggested maintenance for 1995 EVO with 35k

So I recently purchased an 1995 FLSTC and absolutely love it. It seems to run just fine, no issues apparent, etc. I know there is the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality (or, fix it until it breaks! lol) but I was wondering about some things I should look over at this point as far as preventative maintenance (Besides tranny fluid & oil changes.)

Now would probably be the time to dig in if need be since it is 12 degrees outside! (Kerosene heater in the garage works wonders during the winter!)

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the cam bearing has been changed from an INA to Torrington. Check that stupid sandwich spring in the clutch for rivets coming loose and or replace it.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Olias
Novice

Basic stuff like VERY regular nut and bolt tightening (or just checking) is one of the best preventative measures I've found. A lot of folk know this but many forget to do these checks. It's amazing what vibrates loose on Evo bikes, with the engine being a solid mounted bugger. A stitch in time saves nine as me ol granny used to say. LOL.

When you're doing the checks you're also paying attention to the nooks and crannies of the bike and spotting potential problems before they happen. Just common sense really.

Nice bike mate by the way. I've got the 1996 FXSTC. Love it.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:36 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

At 35k miles, I would probably definately change all fluids including brake fluid. Check lights, brakes, belt, primary chain, and lots of visible nuts/bolts all over the bike.

Take a good look at all the brackets on the bike. Brackets love to get loose or even break in half.

Granted, your bike probaly has the INA cam bearing. I honestly don't know if there is a way to tell which bearing you have without tearing into it. Try to locate the maintenance history, talk to the previous owner, and/or even shops/dealerships to know exactly if the cam bearing has ever been changed.

Asking around might SAVE you alot of time on that bearing simply by asking around first.

Lastly, let your EVO warmup before riding. The EVO likes to have some heat before riding off. If not, you'll be changing out cylinder base gaskets rather shortly.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:55 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior

evo left stock are very very low maintenance, like others have said, get rid of that inner cam bearing, the ina has a cage around the needles, the better torrington does not, im sure you can find pictures by searcing, other than a good fluid change, maybe some plugs, i wouldnt reccomend anything else, also harley says you should pull and inspect lifters every 25000 miles, so that may be something to do, but no hurry. chad.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:42 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

check your spokes to see if any are loose.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:37 PM
abbzer0
Intermediate

Thanks for all these recommendations, I will take them all to heart. I think they may have put a new cam in this bike, but don't know for sure. I am the third owner. The second owner didn't really know much about mechanics, etc.. but purchased the bike simply because he "had the fever." I'm sure we all know folks like that, buy a nice bike, then sell it a few years later without putting hardly any miles on it at all. Well, as nice as the fellow is, that was him. I plan to contact the HD Dealership who sold him the bike to see if they have any record of the previous owner.

I agree, a GREAT place to start would be contacting the previous owner to see what they have done to the bike.

If you have any more recommendations, please keep 'em coming! Thanks!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,076 Likes on 1,193 Posts

If you do your own oil changes, don't forget the lifter filter. Pull it, clean it in gas and put it back in. Watch for the spring. This is easy to do, you might need someone to point out where it is located. And by all means GET A MANUAL.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:35 PM
abbzer0
Intermediate

Funny you should say that.. My wife got me the Factory Service Manual for Christmas. (You know your wife is a keeper when she does something like that!! ) Found where it is located. Now going to look at the replacement process for that bearing. Also found a decent link with pictures if anybody cares to look:

http://fritz.schiemann.net/FLSTC/index.html

Old 01-03-2010, 10:47 PM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior

if you do replace that bearing, either have a shop do it or buy the tool, i bought a puller off of ebay, and it was 54 bux, its just not worth it to save the money to try any other style of puller and break that bearing. also, a small cam change will do wonders for the bike, Many people will suggest a andrews27 and in its own respect, is a very good cam, but andrews uses very radical ramp rates, and sometimes cause noise, im a big fan and advocate of vthunder cams, soft ramps and they are generally very quiet. chad.

Quick Reply: Suggested maintenance for 1995 EVO with 35k