EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Carb Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:51 AM
95 Ultra
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carb Question

When I purchased my '95 Ultra a few months back, it needed a new carb. One of the ears that holds the float in place was worn/cracked, and the mechanic at the local Harley shop said it couldn't be repaired. Anyway, I ended up buying a new Keihan carb from the Harley dealer, but there was a catch. My cruise control cable won't hook to it. I was told this before I bought it, but I was in a hurry to get the bike running, and didn't shop around for any other carbs. After a little rejetting, this carb runs great, but no cruise control. The difference in this carb and the original one seems to be that the butterfly is pressed on this carb, and the old one was held on by a nut, which also held the cruise control cable. Anyone else run into this problem with a newer carb, and if so, is there a simple fix to reattach the cruise control to this newer carb, or is another carb available that would work. Harley dealer says they do not sell one that will hook to my cruise. I guess everything is fuel injected now.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:34 AM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought one on eBay for my conversion from FI to carb. Remove the throttle shaft off your new carb and replace with the one from your old carb. Also, change the cable bracket.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:41 AM
legacycycles
Oops
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not for sure on this one but there has to be a way...Id have to agree with moog on this one though.Try using the parts from the old carb,as they havent changed much over the years.It seems like s&s makes a cruise bracket but im not sure if itd for the kehins though.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:54 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 Ultra
When I purchased my '95 Ultra a few months back, it needed a new carb. One of the ears that holds the float in place was worn/cracked, and the mechanic at the local Harley shop said it couldn't be repaired. Anyway, I ended up buying a new Keihan carb from the Harley dealer, but there was a catch. My cruise control cable won't hook to it. I was told this before I bought it, but I was in a hurry to get the bike running, and didn't shop around for any other carbs. After a little rejetting, this carb runs great, but no cruise control. The difference in this carb and the original one seems to be that the butterfly is pressed on this carb, and the old one was held on by a nut, which also held the cruise control cable. Anyone else run into this problem with a newer carb, and if so, is there a simple fix to reattach the cruise control to this newer carb, or is another carb available that would work. Harley dealer says they do not sell one that will hook to my cruise. I guess everything is fuel injected now.
That's weird... I had been thinking about putting cruise control on Bertha, but I discovered that I have the (I thought...) "older" style CV carb that doesn't have the right fitting for the cruise control cable. I thought that newer CV carbs had the right fitting - but your experience says differently.

I found a site on the net that offers a kit that uses the standard H-D cruise control module, but it won't work with my carb. I guess if I ever do decide to put CC on my bike, I will have to get a CV carb on eBay or at a rally to do it.

One more thing for my wish list...

Old 12-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the 96 Ultra carb linkage.
(I know it's filthy! I just got it on eBay and will of course need to rebuild it!)

Attached Thumbnails Carb Question-cruiscrb.jpg  
Old 12-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

My 93 FLHS has the CV carb with the cruise bracket. Came OEM with the bike. I converted to the HD electronic cruise back in 2005 using the kit the HD sold for the FLHT. Pretty simple modification, once I figured out what needed to be attached an where.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:01 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Moog Player
This is the 96 Ultra carb linkage.
(I know it's filthy! I just got it on eBay and will of course need to rebuild it!)
Yeah that's the post I have that won't work with cruise control. I would like to find an old carb with the right linkage and just switch the linkage to my carb... Oh well, will just have to go to some rallies or swap meets in the spring and look for one!