EVO All Evo Model Discussion

changing front tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 08:18 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default changing front tire

so how hard would it be to change my front 21" wire spoke tire and tube. i kinda of tried to break down my back factory mag but ended up taking it to a shop. im figuring the front being a tube wont be that bad, wont have to break it off the bead.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:51 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,743 Likes on 1,137 Posts

You still have to break the bead loose, but usually on a chrome tube type, that can be done with the heel of your boot if not the heel of your hand.

First rule is to always remove the valve core. Second, pinch the tire beads together when making the initial "pry" so the beads can slip into the center where the wheel is the smallest diameter. You'll likely need 2 bars (or big screwdrivers if your feeling lucky) Take care to not pinch the tube...

When going back on, take care to not pinch the tube and put just a bit of air into the tube before putting the second bead onto the rim. This gets any wrinkles out and makes it a lot easier to be certain the valve is centered on the rim (front to rear)

Finally when it's all on, put air into it till it seats the beads all the way around and then let it deflate again before installing the valve core.

With a skinny 21" you can most often pry the whole thing off (both beads) at once, but you need to start on the side opposite the valve and when going back on you can do the same by starting the valve in first, but it gets a little tricky if you don't have a cable made to screw onto the valve, so I'd recommend you put one bead on at a time. And it's a good idea to use at least a little bit of lube (soapy water, windex, vaseline or something) coming off or going on.

It's really not a hard job and if you had the wheel off and your tools laid out and had ever done it even once, you would already be finished in the time it takes to read this or certainly quicker than it took me to type it...

Old 12-26-2009, 08:58 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior

good idea about putting some air in the tube to get the wrinkles out and help hold it in place. what about the liner, should i go ahead and replace it, ive wondered how the liner keeps from moving.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:15 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team

If you're doing a new tube too (good idea - cheap insurance) put some air into it before you even stuff it into the tire and again, take the valve core out first.

Liners are cheap, but they really do nothing more than protect the tube from the nipples of the spoke nuts. If you pull it off the wheel, just as well replace it. But if it's not showing any rust, then it will last thru a lot of tires if left undisturbed... on the other hand, cheap insurance because you'd know it's age and what you have for sure.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, this is a little unorthidox but here is how I do it, front or rear..

For me, it's always hardest to get the old tire off without messing up the rim. If you are not getting a new tube, break the bead, get the valve stem out of the rim and use it to pull the tube out of the tire. Then get a jigsaw with a corse hacksaw blade and cut a "U" shaped chunk out of the old tire as close to the rim as you can without hitting it. Take a good bolt cutter and just cut the beads inside the "U" that are now easy to get at. To be honest, my 21" front tire is easy with spoons but this works real well on those thicker back tires or the larger fronts.

I use dish soap 50/50 with water for the installation lube and it helps to have 3 tire spoons, 2 regular size and one that is 2+ feet long for that final "flop".

I pull the rubber band off each change to check for corrosion, it's cheap. I change the tube every 2-3 tires, depends on the time between changes.

Doug

Old 12-26-2009, 07:08 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just put the tire in my vise & pop the bead that way. i use a shoe horn in between the rim & my spoon to pull the bead off the rim. You can also buy rim protectors for changing tires but there is so many things around your garage that you should have lots of options.
just take your time & all will go well!

Old 12-26-2009, 07:44 PM
hotrod351
Road Warrior

figure ill give it a try. i can get the tube and liner for an extra $13.50. ive got some tire spoons. i think if ii put duct tape on them to protect the rim i should be ok. worse case is i can always take it up to the shop. i just remember trying to break down the rear mag, i gave up. figured id damage them rim. but the front being wire spoke and having a tube, although the tire is tubless, would break down a lot easier. any way figured id try it and see.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:53 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by hotrod351
figure ill give it a try. i can get the tube and liner for an extra $13.50. ive got some tire spoons. i think if ii put duct tape on them to protect the rim i should be ok. worse case is i can always take it up to the shop. i just remember trying to break down the rear mag, i gave up. figured id damage them rim. but the front being wire spoke and having a tube, although the tire is tubless, would break down a lot easier. any way figured id try it and see.
Go for it hotrod. Yeah, the tubeless mags will eat ya lunch for you if you don't have a bead breaker. I wrestled with a vise and c-clamps for years and when they came out with the run-flat types I changed one and gave up and bought an antique car tire bead-breaker. C-clamp would work great on a chrome tube-type wheel, especially a skinny 21". And, that chrome won't scratch easy as the mags do.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:40 PM
hotrod351
Road Warrior

thats what is the pits. i had a old manual tire bead breaker. it sat out side for more that 20 years and i finally threw it away. it would of come in handy. im one of those people that never want to throw anything away, its always after you throw it away you can use it, or need, it.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:15 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I doubt you'll have any touble with the front.. I did mine in no time, but when I got to the rear, it whooped me!! I got fed up and took it to the indi.. It was bad enough that I just said the hell with it and have continued to let them do both whenever I need it. Its not that much and I know they can do it in their sleep.. Wouldnt have been so bad if I had the holding fixture, may eventually get one and start doing them myself, but the front was cake..

As for the duct tape..... I hate cleaning the residue, I used cardboard as a protector and just moved it as needed..

Quick Reply: changing front tire