EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Installed 6 spd 90 Evo - Trik Shift

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Hooter1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed 6 spd 90 Evo - Trik Shift

Put a post on here over a year ago about the detent spring breaking on the trans in my 90 Springer. Also has bent shift forks(or something similar since it won't shift into gear under full throttle). Got married, bought a house, and basically put off fixing until now. Rather than rebuild old one, found a brand new Trik Shift 6 speed on Craigslist locally for $400. I know these are cheap knock off transmissions, but got it in tonight and shifts incredibly well. Rather than put the money in my 5 speed, thought I'd take a chance on this one and gain another gear. The install wasn't too bad. Anyone else have experience with these transmissions?

On a side note, my wife thinks something is wrong with me going for a ride at 8:00 at night in 25 degree weather.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:28 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hooter1
On a side note, my wife thinks something is wrong with me going for a ride at 8:00 at night in 25 degree weather.
No experience to offer, but that's a damn good deal on a new 6-speed tranny. I will do the same thing after I get my new cam, lifters, and ignition in if necessary... and I'm sure my wife will think I'm crazy, too!

Old 12-27-2009, 12:54 AM
Lzydog
4th Gear

I have 6-speed (Ultima gear set) in my 98 FXDL. Have cam/head work/carb/pipes, and it works fine. I pushing 40,000 miles, now. However don't know exactly when the trans/ work was done. The only problem I have, is the neutral light doesn't work right. Neutral lights up in gear and doesn't when it's in neutral.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:39 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lzydog
I have 6-speed (Ultima gear set) in my 98 FXDL. Have cam/head work/carb/pipes, and it works fine. I pushing 40,000 miles, now. However don't know exactly when the trans/ work was done. The only problem I have, is the neutral light doesn't work right. Neutral lights up in gear and doesn't when it's in neutral.
Get a neutral switch from a V-rod ending in -98. That should fix your problem. You will also need the two leads that go on the switch. Attach one lead to the wire that goes to your present neutral switch and the other to a good ground. That should fix it for you. If you have any questions send me a message with your phone number and time to call and we can talk.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:45 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Put a post on here over a year ago about the detent spring breaking on the trans in my 90 Springer. Also has bent shift forks(or something similar since it won't shift into gear under full throttle). Got married, bought a house, and basically put off fixing until now. Rather than rebuild old one, found a brand new Trik Shift 6 speed on Craigslist locally for $400. I know these are cheap knock off transmissions, but got it in tonight and shifts incredibly well. Rather than put the money in my 5 speed, thought I'd take a chance on this one and gain another gear. The install wasn't too bad. Anyone else have experience with these transmissions?

If you are "Power shifting, full throttle, stab the clutch and bang it into the next gear, then you will have problems and they will inctease as you add HP, clutch, and tire. These trannies really don't like that and you will break springs and bend a lot of shifter forks doing that. It can be done but it is costly for a street bike and does cut way down on the longeviety.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Hooter1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by miacycles
If you are "Power shifting, full throttle, stab the clutch and bang it into the next gear, then you will have problems and they will inctease as you add HP, clutch, and tire. These trannies really don't like that and you will break springs and bend a lot of shifter forks doing that. It can be done but it is costly for a street bike and does cut way down on the longeviety.
Are you referring to the stock trans(which had this same problem after pistons, head work, cam, etc.) or also the one I just put in? As cheap as these knock offs are, it wouldn't surprise me but felt I'd take the chance and maybe go a little easier on this one. I did the motor in this bike 10 years ago before all the big cube motors were out and it held it's own pretty good. Now, not much sense in it as I'm the little guy amongst the big dogs(95, 96, 110, 124, etc.). Actually thinking of taking out my S&S 561 cam out for one with less duration and removing the White Bros fart pipe for some drags just to get some sound back in the bike.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:10 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Are you referring to the stock trans(which had this same problem after pistons, head work, cam, etc.) or also the one I just put in? As cheap as these knock offs are, it wouldn't surprise me but felt I'd take the chance and maybe go a little easier on this one. I did the motor in this bike 10 years ago before all the big cube motors were out and it held it's own pretty good. Now, not much sense in it as I'm the little guy amongst the big dogs(95, 96, 110, 124, etc.). Actually thinking of taking out my S&S 561 cam out for one with less duration and removing the White Bros fart pipe for some drags just to get some sound back in the bike.
Both, unless you do a lot of prep work their lifespan will be shortened greatly by power shifting. Even with the mods they don't really like doing that.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:09 AM
Lzydog
4th Gear

Thanks, John sent you a message.

Old 09-30-2024, 07:34 AM
Iivey555
Stage I
Default Trik-shift 6

I got a healthy trik with ultima gears behind a ultima el bruto 127 with work and shifts hard. I bang the gears and have never had problems out of it. 💪🏻

Old 09-30-2024, 04:39 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 848 Likes on 456 Posts

If you are changing gear at full throttle then maybe buy a Ducati instead....