EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Dyna 2Ki Programming Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:22 PM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dyna 2Ki Programming Help

Hi all, no help in the Electrical/Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection forum, but I hope someone can help me out here in Evo Classic Land. I am trying to set up the timing on my Signature bike (!988 FLHTP with 11-1 compression). Sorry, but I don't know what cam I have yet, waiting for snow to open it up and look. I hope I'll be able to run 91 Octane gas instead of 94+booster when I'm done. Swapped out my dual fire Dyna-S ignition for a Dyna2Ki single fire. Running S&S Super E with 295 intermediate and 72 main w/ Yost Power Tube. VOES set at 7 in-HG. Using sparkplugs that are 2 levels colder than stock. Right now I'm running on Curve 4 with VOES on and get some pinging at WOT under 2500 rpm. Here is what Curve 4 looks like:

Here's what I was hoping to program into the ignition:

Will this work? At least not blow anything up? Any advise (or laughter) will be appreciated. This is my first crack at this and I'm probably in way over my head, but what the hell. Gotta start somewhere.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:57 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Don't know how you ride or what you want from the bike but... I would drop the VOES line to somewhat match the WOT line (12 degrees higher) with an up curve from about 3200 to 3800 going to full advance.

On the other hand, you're getting ping at WOT and I've found it best to disable or put a toggle switch in-line with the VOES for test (ride) purposes. It's just a trial and error thing but no, the wacky curve in photo #2 won't hurt anything

Old 11-10-2009, 02:52 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I am only learning, guessing, and watching for ideas as well.

I have a 12 Volt led indicator in series with the VOES. I cut the VOES to ground wire close to where it attaches to the engine mount (ground) and used the wire closest to ground for the black (12V-) wire going to the led indicator and connected the wire closest to the VOES to the red (12v+) wire going to the led indicator. Every time the VOES switch closes and current flows though the VOES into the red wire of the LED indicator out the black wire to the ground the LED illuminates as the ignition module gets the signal and advances the timing. It basically matches the indicator on the ignition module but allows me to see it when I am riding. I originally purchased one from Radio Shack but since that time have added an air/fuel ratio gauges that also contains an led indicator.

I have the Ultima 2Ki programmable ignition on curve 4, and retarded the total timing until the pinging was under control. My VOES is set above 7 hg. I was satisfied with the dyno runs as I do not race. One of these days I want to try programming the curve a little differently, perhaps set the advance for 4000+ WOT rpms closer to the #3 curve. I thought it would be better to retard the timing until there is no pinging and then just advance a little at a time, mostly above the point where it would ping under WOT and use the VOES advance it under normal high vacuum conditions. My 113 only has about 10.2:1 compression, but it's a maxed out loaded bagger with two obese people which also increases the problem of detonation.

If you could find someone that has a good curve, maybe they could share it with you. It looks like the software will save and load curves.
Good luck and let us know how you make out, the information you share may be helpful for others.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:06 AM
Rob85WG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

With that compression on an air cooled engine you're going to need high octane gas.

I have the same ignition on my evo. I also have the super E. In general the advance should be more as the RPM increases. That's why the factory curves look like they do. I would use curve 4 and rotate the ignition plate one millimeter at a time until the ping goes away. Make sure your VOES light is working (goes out when you goose the throttle).

Once the ping is gone try curve 3 for more power. If no pinging then maybe try curve 2 for more power.

I wouldn't monkey with the shape of the curve.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Rob85WG; 11-10-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:54 PM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input guys.

PAJOE I like the idea of an LED indicator for the VOES, I'll have to look into one. I'm installing an AFR sensor and gauge as well. What do you have your AFR set at?

As for the funky Part Throttle curve , I have been reading a thread on another forum http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index....pic,941.0.html that discusses timing in some detail. I have based my curve on this:

Hard to follow in 3D, but it does show more advance at idle than a stock curve. I think with some more tweeking of the timing and maybe a little richer intermediate jet, I might be able to run 91 octane without too much loss in performance. So much for the theory, time to test it out. I guess we'll see.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:55 PM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

"PAJOE I like the idea of an LED indicator for the VOES, I'll have to look into one. I'm installing an AFR sensor and gauge as well. What do you have your AFR set at? "

shovhd,

As I wrote previously, my goal is not performance but a good ride so I have quiet cvo mufflers with 1.75 Fullsac baffles and for the most part run the carb a little rich. At the bottom of the dyno run you can see the air/fuel ratio. The air/fuel ratio gauge I use has leds that light up, I only monitor the front cylinder. Every now and then I try a different setting, but I tend to procrastinate, it performs well enough for me the way it is so I really am not too excited to have a more perfect setup. Maybe I will have it tuned by a professional , one of these days. The idea of more power and louder pipes sounds great, but I prefer to keep it the way it is - most often it's just me and my wife on some 2 lane road all alone.

Last edited by pajoe; 11-10-2009 at 04:12 PM.