EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Had a bunch of Aholes insult my "Dinosaur"

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:03 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile What jacket???

The first thing I noticed was her NICE BIG SMILE! The second thing I noticed was that it's a Evo. The third thing I noticed were the Straightshots (if that's what they are)... how do they perform?

Didn't even notice the "offending yuppie jacket" until I read the text of your post! And still don't care!

RIDE ON!

Old 11-24-2009, 02:38 AM
ottoman007
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice bike i like the Steal Your Face. I would of told my wife that they called her a dinosaur and stood back and watched the show.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:08 PM
bparsel
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ottoman007
Nice bike i like the Steal Your Face. I would of told my wife that they called her a dinosaur and stood back and watched the show.

Ive got the "Steal Your Face" primary cover as well. Love it and all the Deadheads always take notice.

NorthGeorgia - The Vance AND Hines perform great. Pretty soft sound on idle but really open up and crack when I get on it. The Performance is good too but took some carb tuning to dial them in.

I havent been on in awhile, cant believe this thread has hit 18 pages. I really appreciate everyones responses. My girlfriend just told some other friends of ours about this story on Sunday at the bar. They werent too surprised though as they told us about similar instances when they werent all geared out and caught some grief for it. Oh well.

Again, thank you all for your responses and hopefully many of you are still riding in this weather as I am. But 30 degrees and snow later this week mean the bike may soon be going to sleep for the winter!!!

Old 11-24-2009, 04:51 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by bparsel
Ive got the "Steal Your Face" primary cover as well. Love it and all the Deadheads always take notice.

NorthGeorgia - The Vance AND Hines perform great. Pretty soft sound on idle but really open up and crack when I get on it. The Performance is good too but took some carb tuning to dial them in.

I havent been on in awhile, cant believe this thread has hit 18 pages. I really appreciate everyones responses. My girlfriend just told some other friends of ours about this story on Sunday at the bar. They werent too surprised though as they told us about similar instances when they werent all geared out and caught some grief for it. Oh well.

Again, thank you all for your responses and hopefully many of you are still riding in this weather as I am. But 30 degrees and snow later this week mean the bike may soon be going to sleep for the winter!!!
Yeah, they do perform well and I like the roar. I'm always fiddling with my exhaust tho... right now I have a set of long straight thru fishtails on it 'cause I love the look of 'em. They don't perform quite as well as the V&H Ovals tho - hard to match the performance of V&H headers with their own slipons. I had to rejet and tune my carb, too. I think I'm running a 175 main jet and a 45 idle... I can't remember! Runs great tho. I put a finger-adjustable idle screw in it, and MAN do I love that little thing! Makes it SO easy to tweak your idle mixture!

Old 11-24-2009, 09:45 PM
the_old_one_two
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Dead rocks man, I've been to so many of their shows throughout the years. Don't mind saying I shed a tear or two when Jerry left us.

I had a SYF derby cover on my old bike. It went with the bike when I sold it. Right now I have a SYF thin metal sticker on my oil cap. A nice touch...

Roll away the dew!

Old 11-25-2009, 08:22 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by tmd442
That's why I like my dog more than most people!
AMEN TO THAT, TMD! My 3 dogs are ALWAYS happy to see me, and I like their philosophy... "the only a**holes we like are each others'..."

Old 11-25-2009, 09:27 AM
bparsel
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
right now I have a set of long straight thru fishtails on it 'cause I love the look of 'em.

I was running a set of fishtails for awhile, they did look great sticking out the back but they were SO LOUD that I had to change them. It was just too much for me. Ive been debating making the switch to the rineharts. My buddy has them and they look and sound great, but I'm afraid I might miss seeing those long V&H's running down the side, that and the "Crack" sound they have.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:21 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KRS
What a bunch of dicks. I get that from the "real bikers" too. I don't dress like I'm going to a *** rodeo, nor do I wear any leather. I tend to get the 'wtf' look from these guys when I roll up in jeans, Chucks and a hoodie. Fvck 'em.

BTW... My North Face fleece is my favorite thing to wear in cooler temps. Very comfy.
that's the outfit of choice...doesn't get much more comfortable than that...

im 22 but i bought my 08 bob wrecked and wrenched it back to life from the frame up...did the same with a '90 heritage before i sold it to pick up the twin cam...dont know if this makes me a "biker" and to be honest i really don't care.

don't make a point of telling me what i'm not when you're the one pretending.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:35 AM
hdtech.ironthunder
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My everyday ride is a 91 fxr, best bike Harley ever built in my opinion. You probally have more miles on you tires than they'll ever ride. Now back to my dinosuar...

Old 11-25-2009, 10:56 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by bparsel
I was running a set of fishtails for awhile, they did look great sticking out the back but they were SO LOUD that I had to change them. It was just too much for me. Ive been debating making the switch to the rineharts. My buddy has them and they look and sound great, but I'm afraid I might miss seeing those long V&H's running down the side, that and the "Crack" sound they have.
Rineharts are awesome! They sound great and look great with those black caps.

What I did to solve the noise problem with the straight through fishtail pipes was really simple. I used the old "Snuff or Not" trick that I had used on the TT pipes on my first bike 100 years ago - a Honda CB350. I still think about that little bike... :O)

I bought two 3/8" thumbscrews, stainless washers and nuts at Lowes. I went with 3/8" instead of 1/2" because the 3/8" thumbscrew head is much bigger. Then I drilled a 3/8" hole in the TOP of the fishtails right between the 2 mounts on the top of the pipes, where they bolt to the bag supports. Then I "fished" (sorry!) the thumbscrew through rear end of each pipe and bolted it in place, hanging down into the pipes with the thumbscrew head at a 90 degree angle across the pipe.

This setup runs really well. It TOTALLY eliminated the nasty reversion roar the open pipes previously had, quieted them down a lot, and gave them a sort of "slap-slap" kind of sound. I liked the very LOUD ringing sound of the totally unbaffled fishtails, but I run V&H dresser duals with no crossover (thus no scavenging), and the reversion sound on deceleration was actually LOUDER than the sound of acceleration! Pretty obnoxious! Plus, I figured all that cold air rushing back up to the exhaust ports on deceleration was probably not very good for the engine anyway.

I like to think those little thumbscrew baffles have helped a bit with the loss of low-end torque that unbaffled long straight pipes have. It does pull really strong from about 2500 RPM and up, but doesn't run as strong on the low end as it does with the V&H Big Ovals slip-ons... so if I get tired of the fishtails or go on a long trip, I'll slap those back on. They are much quieter on the highway than the fishtails are, and pipes are easy and quick to change out.

Quick Reply: Had a bunch of Aholes insult my "Dinosaur"