EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Had a bunch of Aholes insult my "Dinosaur"

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:39 AM
patriotmc
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ouch

You have a great looking ride. If I had rolled up, I'd have said hi, nice bike and something about the weather! Some people are just a**holes. If I'd have been you and my special lady wasn't with me, I'd probably have said something stupid and gotten into trouble.

Now, I'm probably going to p**s off most of the folks on this tread. It seems that most of you think that to be a "true biker" (whatever that is), you need to ride an older model and no Harley clothes. That kind of attitude is just about as bad as those a**hole the OP ran into.

Some of you said you bought your 88, 95, 02 new. Now you pride in it being old but put down those that have a new bike. I bought my last two bikes new. I've worked over 45 years to be able to do that and see nothing wrong with it. I'm not a poser trying to get an old bike and wear ratty clothes so that I look like a "biker". I don't wear a Harley jacket because I can buy better for less. That doesn't mean I don't like the Harley jackets, but not about to pay $400+ for one. I wear Harley shirts because there are cool ones out there.

I guess I'm in somewhat of a minority, I agree with a few of the other posters that it doesn't really matter what you ride or what you wear. Just be respectful to others. And if they're aren't respectful to you, make a decision to either let them know they are jerks or what away if that's the better decision at the time.

The OP was right to walk away, outnumbered and with his girl. These jerks were lucky that they didn't say that to some MC member and wind up with some really bad conequences!

Sorry to vent.... but I think it's good to support the OP but not to put so many other bikers down. I ride a lot of solo, 2-up solo with my gal and sometimes with a group of HOG, friends or PGs. I've got over 15K this year in MN where we get to ride about 6 months out of the year. I don't do much wrenching myself but can do a few of the basics. I like all the bikes.... cheet, even some cool Asian ones... and most of the folks that are riding them. I love to run into other "bikers" on the road and shoot the sh*t. I don't try to pretend I'm a biker... I just love to ride and like most of the people it brings me in contact with.

Now ya'l can take your shots!

Old 11-19-2009, 05:48 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Originally Posted by Swamp_singer
ahhh....helll with that....i would have ask them if they knew all the moves to the song Y.M.C.A......
T F F ....

Old 11-21-2009, 10:45 PM
kevin6803
Advanced

Probably a good idea to vent here instead of on somebody's face, who is likely to have a lawyer on retainer. One thing I get a laugh out of is how many people that have a harley, which I thought was an expression of individuality, get so uncomforable when one of their biker brothers actually shows some individuality.
How often do you get a blank stare when you say you have an EVO to somebody at a bike function?

Old 11-21-2009, 11:04 PM
LX HEMI
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They were probably on rentals

Old 11-22-2009, 06:58 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bparsel
MAN does this chap my A$$. The girlfriend and I went riding Sunday and made a stop at the local bar. We were the only bike when we got there, had lunch and walked out to a group of about 5 new bikes - All heritage softails, mostly BRIGHT YELLOW parked next to us. I was wearing jeans and my vinyl Harley riding jacket with a hoodie. Girlfriend was wearing a white northface fleece, OH no, NOT BLACK!!. I ride a sh*tload and couldnt care less about what I'm wearing or what she's wearing as long as we're covered.

Well the group of guys and women were head to toe chaps to headbands and instantly started making comments about my girlfriend wearing a "Yuppie" jacket. Then proceeded to ask - "What year is that?" I responded It's a '95, thinking they would compliment how clean it is - their response - "How do you 2 ride that dinosaur?"

Are you fricking kidding me?!?!?! I was so pissed I had to turn my back and not say a word. Just fired up the old evo and let the Vance an Hines drown out the a$$holes. Then once we hit the road my girlfriend asked what they meant. I told her we werent wearing enough "Harley" gear to be seen as cool to them.

I just dont get some people. Alright - RANT OVER.
Eventually your skin will thicken and you will take comments like as a good thing.You will or should learn to take it is as recognition,life is much easier that way.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:04 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldnt sweat it one bit. Those are the exact kind of people that give the whole Harley concept a bad name. Too insecure with themselves so they have to put others down in order to keep their ego's going. I wouldnt even think twice about it.

PS. I love North Face jackets and fleece ;-)

Old 11-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

MAN does this chap my A$$. The girlfriend and I went riding Sunday and made a stop at the local bar. We were the only bike when we got there, had lunch and walked out to a group of about 5 new bikes - All heritage softails, mostly BRIGHT YELLOW parked next to us. I was wearing jeans and my vinyl Harley riding jacket with a hoodie. Girlfriend was wearing a white northface fleece, OH no, NOT BLACK!!. I ride a sh*tload and couldnt care less about what I'm wearing or what she's wearing as long as we're covered.

Well the group of guys and women were head to toe chaps to headbands and instantly started making comments about my girlfriend wearing a "Yuppie" jacket. Then proceeded to ask - "What year is that?" I responded It's a '95, thinking they would compliment how clean it is - their response - "How do you 2 ride that dinosaur?"

Are you fricking kidding me?!?!?! I was so pissed I had to turn my back and not say a word. Just fired up the old evo and let the Vance an Hines drown out the a$$holes. Then once we hit the road my girlfriend asked what they meant. I told her we werent wearing enough "Harley" gear to be seen as cool to them.

I just dont get some people. Alright - RANT OVER.
That's unbelievable!

The only people I know who can afford new Harleys in this economy are pretty much yuppies (or at least fairly well off) - my wife and I included, I guess.

Those idiots probably live in nice homes and drive the kids around in minivans!

You handled it really well, and probably better than I would have. I know better, but I would have struggled to turn the other cheek with that bullshit.

Good for you,
Murph

Old 11-22-2009, 12:07 PM
hddan502
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man that is a nice looking 95'. I bought a new 07 street bob to get into riding, mainly just to ride and not worry. I also have to much HD crap that i do not wear. But I want to get an older carberated bike one day. I think the old Harleys just look and sound better. Would never spout off $hit about anyone's bike, I mean that is what a Harley is about, buying it riding it and keeping it and making it look how you want.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Funny enough, we took this pic at a stop on Sunday and even features the girlfriend wearing the offending "Yuppie" coat next to the "Dinosaur"!

I live my life by the rule of mind over matter. I only mind what people say if their opinions matter to me. As you may have guessed, that list is very short. Enjoy your ride and let those thoughts roll off your back like water on a duck.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:55 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Wow! What a bunch of JERKS!

Blow them off!

I've been riding since I was 15 - started out on a little Honda CB350, then moved up to a Kawasaki Z1, then a Kawasaki Eliminator 900 (MAN that was a faaaaast bike! 0-60 in 2.5 SECONDS!), etc. - and now a nice OLD black 1995 Evo FLHTP that I wouldn't sell or trade for anything. My wife bought it for me for my 50th birthday a couple of years ago. She rides too. I've put a veritable boatload of stuff - most of it chromed because that's what I like against black - on the bike, and now it's just the way I want it, and I don't care who thinks what about it, or me! I know my bike like the back of my hand, and I can pretty much tell just by feel and sound when it's not happy. I enjoy fiddling aruond wth it as much as I like riding it!

I guess I've been lucky, but I've never run into any idiots like the ones you encountered. The worst incident I've ever had was when a guy on some newish Harley with fancy paint walked up to me at a gas station and said "What IS that? Some stripped-down Electra Glide or something?" I looked him straight in the eye and said "It's a POLICE bike." He looked at me fairly wide-eyed, turned around, and walked away. I hope he thought I was a cop! I was quite amused...

People like that just don't "get" what motorcycling is all about... it doesn't matter WHAT you ride, or what year model it is - as long as you respect other riders AND their mounts, and you're enjoying the ride and the many great people you can meet along the way. Those jerks were, and surely still are, posers who probably couldn't even change the oil and don't understand the first thing about how their machine works - only that it's "new" and that they have the latest greatest MoCo duds to go along with their expensive new machine, so they feel "cool". I'm impressed... NOT! I do have a nice H-D leather jacket, H-D chaps I were when I need them, H-D boots because I like them, and some Ts I got gratis from the dealer when we bought my bike. But that's pretty much it as far as MoCo clothes in my wardrobe... does that make ME a poser? I certainly hope not...

I appreciate all bikes, and all riders who are decent people - period. I've had lots of great conversations at numerous rallies, gas stations, bars, etc. with people who rode everything from a scooter to a Hayabusa to a Road Glide to a Boss Hoss to a totally custom chopper! I love talking about bikes, especially with people who know what they are talking about and aren't just trying to impress me with their bike, their duds, or their "knowledge". I nearly always try to start up a conversation with other bikers - and nearly ALL of them will talk with me... the vast majority are very nice. But, for reasons unknown to me a few of them don't seem to care to talk, so if they don't respond I just shut up and go about my business. No harm, no foul... But no one has ever talked to me like those morons talked to you, and you did the right thing by just getting out of there. It was very zen of you... avoid the fight if at all possible!

I agree with others here that people like the ones you ran into give Harley riders - and the whole biking community, really - a very bad name, and they are probably jerks off the bikes, too! I can't stand trivial people like that.

So don't fret about 'em... just get out and enjoy the RIDE! There are a LOT of nice folks out there to meet! Maybe we'll even meet some day... other Evo riders are kind of special to me!

Quick Reply: Had a bunch of Aholes insult my "Dinosaur"