EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Looking for Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 10:24 PM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 301 Likes on 204 Posts
Default Looking for Y-pipe

Y-pipe on my 1989 Electra Glide has crack near rear exhaust port. Anyone have a good take off laying around. Thank you.

dave

Old 10-27-2009, 12:35 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Dave, just get your pipe welded. they all crack there so I welded mine & its good now. If you look at the design of the exhaust & the engine mounts, you will see that the engine moves but your pipe on the right side is bolted to the frame near your foot peg making it rigid to the moving motor. If you dont use a re enforced pipe it will crack again so your better off just fixing it so it will last.
I used a 110 volt Mig welder & burnt in a few beads where they are known to crack.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Yeah, and don't ride it until you fix it. I dropped an exhaust valve guide from that.

You can also replace the whole exhaust system with one from a similar twinkie bike, at least up to 2K7, which is what I did. As I'm sure you have found, the Y pipe itself is now unobtainium.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:40 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can get a set of Fullsac true duals for under $200 ad you won't have that problem any more. Send me a message and I can tell you all about them.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:16 PM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 301 Likes on 204 Posts

Thanks for the inputs. My second option was to take it to a muffler shop and have them weld it up. Definitely not riding it until it's fixed.

I didn't know you can put a late model Y-pipe on. Thought they changed around 1995, and then again in 09 with new style pipe. I didn't think 95 Evos were any different than 89 Evo Bagger? Anyone know for sure what is interchangeable, cause I can look on Ebay too. Thanks.

dave

Old 10-27-2009, 08:51 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,703 Likes on 2,126 Posts

Originally Posted by daven9113
Thanks for the inputs. My second option was to take it to a muffler shop and have them weld it up. Definitely not riding it until it's fixed.

I didn't know you can put a late model Y-pipe on. Thought they changed around 1995, and then again in 09 with new style pipe. I didn't think 95 Evos were any different than 89 Evo Bagger? Anyone know for sure what is interchangeable, cause I can look on Ebay too. Thanks.

dave
You are right in both cases. The Y pipes do fit all those years but the outlet ends and mufflers were different. '94 and earlier use a clamp over the ridge on the Y pipe and muffler, 95 and later are straight and the mufflers slip on with no ridge.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:17 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzo
You are right in both cases. The Y pipes do fit all those years but the outlet ends and mufflers were different. '94 and earlier use a clamp over the ridge on the Y pipe and muffler, 95 and later are straight and the mufflers slip on with no ridge.
Dr Hess correct me if I'm mistaken... I think the outlet from the Y for the left side is a different length requiring you to use the newer left downpipe and requiring you to modify the brace that bolts to the starter solenoid as well.

Daven, if you're totally happy with your mufflers, the Fulsac setup as John suggested is a great option.

Otherwise you can pickup a TC exhaust with matching heat shields for dirt cheap if you're patient.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

I replaced my entire exhaust with the '07 FLHTUICEIEIO which I paid around a bill for, complete and shipped, so I don't know if it is a different length, but I think it was the same. I think I reused one original bracket and it was around the starter, and/or I ground the new one down so it pinched tighter right at where the rear Y connnects to the next piece. It wasn't much to do.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:17 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
I replaced my entire exhaust with the '07 FLHTUICEIEIO which I paid around a bill for, complete and shipped, so I don't know if it is a different length, but I think it was the same. I think I reused one original bracket and it was around the starter, and/or I ground the new one down so it pinched tighter right at where the rear Y connnects to the next piece. It wasn't much to do.
My 3rd brain cell remembered something about the bracket...

I snagged an NOS Y-pipe off fleabay last year for 45.00 and was tickled because I didn't want to give up my mufflers. And later bought a set of heat shields off a 97 Road King and the "s" shield didn't have the notch for the clamp in the correct spot. The left shield had to be shortened to clear the v-clamp and it doesn't fit correctly to the "s" shield either... But hey, I still have my favorite mufflers

And just for everyones info - the left heat shield costs more than any other single piece of the entire exhaust system. 165.00 when they were still avaliable and I think the later ones aren't much less than that. So I'm not fussing about the 32.00 I gave for the whole set.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:49 AM
IDIDNTDOIT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the local INDY has a full system from a '87 FLHTC. If you want I will see if he will sell the pipes....

Bill

Quick Reply: Looking for Y-pipe