EVO All Evo Model Discussion

a lil guidance from the guru's please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:10 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default a lil guidance from the guru's please!

I am getting ready for winter wrenching & plan to pull the heads & barrels because my compression is down around 100 pounds in each hole. Tested with choke off, warm engine, full battery & throttle wide open. 4 compression strokes per test.
Bike has awesome top end but nothing from 2000 & lower. What I hope for is a re ring & re seat the valves to cure the problem. Mileage is 75,000km or 46,000miles. Doing this with engine in frame. Any tips or advise would be welcome.
Second problem which is chronic, something is rattling in the front of the bike. thought it was the fender so I swapped it out for a chrome one. No change. Not the calipers or pads. not the front rotors. Does it on deceleration. Im thinking now it might be the springs inside the forks?
I made a video on u tube because a guy 100 miles away was interested in my bike. I can hear the rattle on the video. To see it, go to u tube. in the search bar type in "hatchetman2965". I have 2 video's there. It is the shorter of the 2, I think its the bottom one.
Any help would be awesome!
Hatch.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:50 AM
mjmangus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your heat shields.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:54 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior

I tested with all heat shields removed & the whole exhaust has been swapped out as well.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,911 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Does the compression come up when you add a tablespoon of oil during testing?

I've never heard anyone complain, ever, of fork springs causing noise. Loose gas tank? Motor mounts loose? Motor vibrating against the tank or frame or something? Look around for something with the paint worn off. When it's doing it, push on stuff that you can reach, like the tank or anything else up front and see if you can feel the vibration or if the sound changes.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:40 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

the pushing on stuff is what you need to do,youll find it eventully,borowed my bike to a guy last fall,took it out in the spring,has a rattle that drove me crazy,checked & double checked everything,nothing.went to put a couple cassette tapes in my w/shield pouches,he put a can of mints in one of the pouches,that was the rattle,glad i didnt start tearing the fairing apart!!
kirby
vee twin racing

Old 10-16-2009, 10:23 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,816 Likes on 1,178 Posts

With that few miles, you'd probably only need to scuff the cylinders, intall new rings (re-use the pistons) and service the heads. (valve grind and seals) About 150.00, if you do it all but the valve job yourself...

Yeah, a rattle will drive ya nuts and my crystal ball ain't working today, so you'll have to find that yourself

Old 10-16-2009, 11:03 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

have the cylinders torque plated and checked,evo`s had a nasty habit of going out of round (since its apart,its well worth it)i would figure your shop,if youve been using them for parts & stuff,wouldnt charge anything,i wouldnt to one of my customers
kirby
vee twin racing

Old 10-17-2009, 07:03 AM
askoldbob
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought. Long duration cams will produce low cranking compression but make the bike really come on in the high rpm's. Unless you have other problems, I would do a cylinder leak down test and see what you have. If you know what is in the engine, I'm just practicing my typing skills.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:08 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior

Later today I will be rolling out "The old iron bitch" & checking some of these theories, Thank you!

Old 10-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the rubber thing on the clutch adjuster intact? Mine is shredded and it rattles against the tip over bar. Will replace that at some point.

Quick Reply: a lil guidance from the guru's please!