EVO All Evo Model Discussion

How to check swing arm/suspension problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:15 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to check swing arm/suspension problem?

I'm having a problem and looking for a little help. Was riding home last weekend on long ride and started noticing a clunking sound in rear when going over small bumps in the road. Also noticed when pulling in and out of gas station drive ways.
Also when applying rear brakes I felt a vibration. (pads less than year old)
And heard a clicking on some tight right turns.
I figured by the sound and feel that the swing arm bushings are worn. Put the bike up on the jack and everything feels tight. How do you actually check for swing arm wear? Any other suggestions on things to check?
95 Ultra 51k

Old 10-11-2009, 01:29 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A loose swing arm will handle like crap in corners. grab a buddy & while he pushes the rear wheel left to right, look at the swing arm where it bolts on for any play. I would almost guess a wearing rear wheel bearing. Check your rear rotor as well as your rear sprocket for loose bolts etc. I dont think its your swing arm. How many miles on it???

Old 10-11-2009, 05:17 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Go here and look for this also

Old 10-11-2009, 06:56 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,819 Likes on 1,180 Posts

"Sounds" more like a wheel bearing to me as well. But it could be a brake pad has come loose from the backing plate also. As mentioned in the previous posts, a thorough inspection of basically everything on and around the rear wheel is in order.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:15 AM
wjl24
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hatchetman
A loose swing arm will handle like crap in corners. grab a buddy & while he pushes the rear wheel left to right, look at the swing arm where it bolts on for any play. I would almost guess a wearing rear wheel bearing. Check your rear rotor as well as your rear sprocket for loose bolts etc. I dont think its your swing arm. How many miles on it???
51,000 miles on it. Checked for loose bolts etc. Doesn't seem to be any slop in swing arm. Also looked for cracks. I guess I'll remove wheel and check bearings and go from there. Thanks

Old 10-11-2009, 04:53 PM
wjl24
Road Captain

Well I was getting ready to remove rear wheel but thought everything seemed right back there so decided to take it for a ride and try to pinpoint problem. I found it, but it was not what I expected. It's the motor mount. At least it's a fairly easy fix!

Old 10-11-2009, 05:21 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Front or top motor mount ? Pull the chrome caps off the swingarm axil and see if the trans axil nuts are centered in the holes I had a rear tire that was wearing on one side and after I took off the chrome covers I could see that the left nut was toward the bottom of the hole It turned out to be the top engine stabilizer

Old 10-12-2009, 03:37 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,819 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Hmmm. I wonder if he meant front motor mount, front or top adjusting link or rear motor mount.. which is the swingarm, kinda. Maybe its a loose passenger floorboard mount...

Where's your old toolbag George? - I feel an episode coming on

Old 10-12-2009, 05:52 PM
wjl24
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sqdealgeorge
Front or top motor mount ? Pull the chrome caps off the swingarm axil and see if the trans axil nuts are centered in the holes I had a rear tire that was wearing on one side and after I took off the chrome covers I could see that the left nut was toward the bottom of the hole It turned out to be the top engine stabilizer
It's the front motor mount. I already checked the trans axle nuts. There centered.
I was pretty shocked when I finally got a chance to look into this and found it was the motor mount. But when the rear tire hit a bump it sends the front of the motor down and transfers the shock through the frame. Really felt like it was more centered. But I'm thrilled that's all it is!

Old 10-12-2009, 06:01 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Talking

Originally Posted by t150vej
Hmmm. I wonder if he meant front motor mount, front or top adjusting link or rear motor mount.. which is the swingarm, kinda. Maybe its a loose passenger floorboard mount...

Where's your old toolbag George? - I feel an episode coming on
Maybe my Gremlin bell is loose?

Quick Reply: How to check swing arm/suspension problem?