EVO All Evo Model Discussion

engine oil in primary

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009 | 09:25 PM
brwdarr
|
Advanced
Default engine oil in primary

I got to daytona and check my oil and it was 2 quarts low. odd, because it has not used any oiil sence I bought the bike. pull the derby cover and oil came flooding out. I found my engine oil. what is the problems and what can i do to get the bike home? thanks

Old 10-09-2009 | 09:39 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

You are losing oil at the seal between the engine and the primary, behind the front sprocket/stator. There are several causes: Bad seal, bad junction between the seal and the case, bad case. Some year Evo's are more susceptible to this than others. I forget which years had more problems.

Now, to get you home: If'n it were me, I would add 2 quarts of oil to the oil tank, fill my saddle bags with oil, keep a very close eye on the engine oil level, drain out extra from the primary and add engine oil whenever necessary and ride home.

Old 10-10-2009 | 06:18 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Some 88-91 had issues with the cases letting loose of the main bearing bore housing from the aluminum and others were porous and leaked across. Could be either in your case. It usually goes the other way - primary fluid into the engine if it's the seal/spacer.

Engine oil in the primary won't hurt anything. But check the tranny too. If it's gotten way too high in the primary, it can push it thru the mainshaft via the clutch release rod bore and overfill the trans as well.

You only have about 500 miles so, follow the Dr.s advice and keep us posted. Good luck.

Last edited by t150vej; 10-10-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-10-2009 | 06:58 AM
prodrag1320
Banned

make sure compensator nut isnt loose,this will seperate the bearing & let oil pass thru
kirby
vee twin racing

Old 10-10-2009 | 07:12 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by brwdarr
I got to daytona and check my oil and it was 2 quarts low. odd, because it has not used any oiil sence I bought the bike. pull the derby cover and oil came flooding out. I found my engine oil. what is the problems and what can i do to get the bike home? thanks

brwdarr, I just remembered you replaced the stator before this trip...

The 2 tiny screws that hold the retainer for the stator lead - the drillings go all the way thru the case... reckon you left one loose or out?

Attached Thumbnails engine oil in primary-plug.jpg  
Old 10-10-2009 | 09:34 PM
brwdarr
|
Advanced

sorry for the slow response, but I've been on the road home from my trip. I added some lucas to my oil and that seam to slow it down alot. I lost very little oil on the way back. I want know for sure how much untill I pull the derby cover off. I'll do that tomorrow. I did just replaced the stator before this trip. I did put both of the little screws back in. as far as I know everything was done to spec. I think this may have been a problem before the stator change. I don't know for sure, but either way I 'm going to have to go back in there. I'll recheck my work and see if I may have done something wrong. I'll let you know what I find. thanks

Old 10-11-2009 | 07:23 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

oops double posted

Last edited by t150vej; 10-11-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-11-2009 | 07:31 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Glad you made it back OK.

Not saying it can't be a seal problem... and hope it's not a loose bearing housing. No good way to check that without the installation tool. But try to move the sprocket shaft in and out with the rotor removed. Look very closely where the steel insert fits the aluminum case. Or clean it well and put a spot of paint over the area and let it dry. Then if you can hold the shaft and pull in and out hard, see if the paint breaks where the steel meets the case.

Attached Thumbnails engine oil in primary-case.jpg  
Old 10-11-2009 | 08:09 AM
brwdarr
|
Advanced

thanks for the picture. I will check it out. if it is loose there does that mean the block is no good? am I looking at a new motor? if so I hope that isn't the problem, but knowing my luck oh well. thanks

Old 10-11-2009 | 08:22 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by brwdarr
thanks for the picture. I will check it out. if it is loose there does that mean the block is no good? am I looking at a new motor? if so I hope that isn't the problem, but knowing my luck oh well. thanks
If that turns out to be the case, there is no suitable "fix" for it.

BUT, you can get new cases from HD with the original serial number stamped on it. Seems they're about 700.00 and I've never bought any, but assume they would come with the oil pump bushing and pinion bushing installed. So you'd be looking at cylinder studs, main bearing and pinion bearing plus gaskets.

Again, I won't say it can't put oil in that direction, but from my experience, it always goes the other way (primary into engine) if it's a seal/spacer issue.

Would be best if you could get a big washer or something you can put on the shaft between the compensator nut and spline area to make it easier to push-pull for checking. And if you can get someone to lean on the bike from the other side so you don't knock it over while yanking on it... yeah, I did that once

Good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: engine oil in primary