EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Oil blowing out of the carburetor????

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 02:48 PM
guspup
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil blowing out of the carburetor????

1991 FXRT 1340 This started today at start up. The air temp was 45F. The “enrichener ****” won’t stay out so I gave it a little gas to keep it running. It runs great; I did not know there was a problem. I went about 3 miles & stop to put on gloves and seen the oil
I went back home and found an oil spot & trail it the drive right where I warmed up. The oil is blowing out of the carburetor. The blow by tube is NOT plugged.??????

Old 09-30-2009, 04:18 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

do you have head breather heads on it? its impossible for oil to be "blowing out the carb"and still be running(you`de have to have a hole in the piston,or a MAJOR valve problem).youve got to have head breathers in the heads,and thats where the oil is comming from
kirby
vee twin racing

Old 09-30-2009, 04:24 PM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by guspup
1991 FXRT 1340 This started today at start up. The air temp was 45F. The “enrichener ****” won’t stay out so I gave it a little gas to keep it running. It runs great; I did not know there was a problem. I went about 3 miles & stop to put on gloves and seen the oil
I went back home and found an oil spot & trail it the drive right where I warmed up. The oil is blowing out of the carburetor. The blow by tube is NOT plugged.??????
I am not sure how much oil you are talking about, but if you fill the oil level up to the full mark, you can get some blowby. I tend to have mine 1/2 mark on the dipstick. I have also seen bikes with oil coolers in cooler weather cause oil to come out of the breather. Tell us how much oil is leaking?

Old 09-30-2009, 05:00 PM
guspup
6th Gear
Default I am not sure how much oil you are talking about??

I am not sure how much oil you are talking about?? Well I bought the bike 2 weeks ago & have not put any oil in it yet. The oil mark was at ¾ above add. Now it is 20% above add. A little oil goes a long ways on a clean bike & drive!

Old 09-30-2009, 05:48 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,175 Posts

1991 is a bottom breather engine and it's likely oil accumulated in the breather tube which was originally routed up to the air filter. Assuming it's still routed as original, it blew out onto the air filter and dripped down. They all do that at times and most guys, even dealers re-routed that breather hose to the ground. Again, it's not nice, but typical for them to "slober" out the breather tube under certain conditions.

Reving up a cold Evo is the worst thing you can do. I've seen many do it all the time with no problems, but it'll blow out your cylinder base gaskets more often than not if you continue starting it that way.

On the backside of the enricher ****, where it's mounted, there is an 11/16" or a 3/4" plastic nut. Loosen that and then tighten the knurled nut that's outward behind the ****. Snug up the hex nut on the backside and that will (should) take care of the enricher cable.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:29 PM
guspup
6th Gear
Default Man, did YOU just make my day!!!

Originally Posted by t150vej
1991 is a bottom breather engine and it's likely oil accumulated in the breather tube which was originally routed up to the air filter. Assuming it's still routed as original, it blew out onto the air filter and dripped down. They all do that at times and most guys, even dealers re-routed that breather hose to the ground. Again, it's not nice, but typical for them to "slober" out the breather tube under certain conditions.

Reving up a cold Evo is the worst thing you can do. I've seen many do it all the time with no problems, but it'll blow out your cylinder base gaskets more often than not if you continue starting it that way.

On the backside of the enricher ****, where it's mounted, there is an 11/16" or a 3/4" plastic nut. Loosen that and then tighten the knurled nut that's outward behind the ****. Snug up the hex nut on the backside and that will (should) take care of the enricher cable.
I know it has a K&N air filter so that should clean up well. Thank you for the tip on how to fix the enricher ****. I will give the new Se_rs bike jack a work out!
You guys are great!!!!!
Thank you

Old 10-03-2009, 02:23 PM
mjmangus
Tourer

If I don't run my '91 every couple of weeks it does the same thing. Try a search on wet sumping.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:11 PM
guspup
6th Gear
Default Thanks for the tip mjmangus!

I did a search on wet sumping. I see that I am not alone. I looked in the service manual & it shows a crankcase breather filter that is cleanable. I am going to give that a look too. I fixed the enrichener cable and cleaned the whole bike up again. We have had cold and rain so I have not tried it out yet.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:23 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 160 Posts

There's a check ball in the oil pump that may be dirty or have something in there to keep it from seating. Mine used to dump the oil if it sat for a week or longer. I would put a clean pan under it when I started it, catch the oil that came out rarely more then 1/2 a qt, and pour it back in. oh yeh, don't oil the choke cable or it will never stay out.,,

Old 10-10-2009, 08:03 AM
grdig1
1st Gear

I have been having the same problem for years if i let my 92 FXR sit for more than a week just start her up with a pan under her.

Quick Reply: Oil blowing out of the carburetor????