EVO All Evo Model Discussion

not real happy with the power

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:15 PM
jurob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default not real happy with the power

98 electra glide classic. stock motor with k&n filter and se slipons. bike runs fantastic just lacks *****. i'm not expecting a sport bike, but i really expected more.

12k on harley reman and less than 1k on upgraded cam bearings.

i'm thinking about doing a cam swap and want recommendations based on my needs.

naturally more power, but want more lowend torque. is there and aftermarket cam that fits this bill or is the stock back best suited for this? most aftermarket cams i see have more duration than stock which is more setup for rpm's. i'm not looking to raise my shift points so what options to i have.

i've thought higher flowing heads, but that won't increase my lowend.

i ride with a raider s, xl1200, fatboy and a shadow 750 and i'm always playing catch up. part of the reason is i'm not going to beat the **** out of my bike to keep up, but i'm obviously outgunned even by the little 750.

doing about 70@3k so not interested in gearing for better acceleration.

money is an obvious issue so i won't be dropping in a s&s.

all opinions appreciated.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:37 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jurob
money is an obvious issue so i won't be dropping in a s&s.

all opinions appreciated.
I messed around with mine for a few years, then dropped in an S&S 107! Gets me by.

Prior to that I used an Andrews EV27 cam, a Crane ignition module, to give progressive advance curve and a jet kit to richen up the carb a little.

Hopefully there will be more ideas along soon!

Old 09-30-2009, 04:45 PM
mjunk1
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard to answer because your expectations are yours alone. I run a Basani 2:1 exhaust that didn't really effect my bottom end at all - it still pulls really well for my liking. You might try the exhaust route as the backpressure is a big part to getting and keeping the torque - if I understand correctly.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:56 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,816 Likes on 1,178 Posts

Number 1 rule with an Evo is they need a better than stock cam. Just about any aftermarket cam you choose will make a tremendous difference, even a Screaming Eagle version.

Second, and just as important, they need to breathe.

As most who frequent here already know, I won't enter into the cam discussion, but do youself a favor and choose ONLY a brand/style that is considered a "bolt-in" cam.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Rock-solid combo for what your looking for is a Wood 6 cam, mild cylinder head mods, and a quick tune. 80 hp and 90 ft/lbs are the norm. Did one this past week, again. Great fuel economy as well. Much fun.
Scott

Old 09-30-2009, 08:15 PM
creekside
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up EVO power combo

The usual thing to do is rejet the carb after the free flowing air box is installed. A 45 low circuit and 180 main with either the XL needle or a tiny washer or two (depending on the cam) over the big twin one is a good base line. Turn the (hidden) air screw out about 2 full turns and work it from there. Idle about 950. If you didn't rejet the carb, you are running way too lean.

Exhaust can't be too free flow for the street S/E slipons should work ok if they aren't all burned up inside. new baffles would fix that if they are. You want some back pressure.

EVO's need a cam to make power, the stock one just sucks. An Andrews EV27 is nice for all round riding a EV13 makes more low end torque for heavier bikes, where the EV3 and EV46 are great for hopped up softails and dyna's. I run a 27 and love it in my Dyna. It's not a rocket, but 80 comes plenty quick for me, and holds well on the hills.

Really good heads can add another 10 ponies. Buy from compaines like SS, JET, Delkron, or even SE (but you will have to use their gaskets and manifold)--Compaines that specialize in HD heads. What you don't want to do is put in big oversize valves and get it ported by someone who doesn't understand the HD motor's characteristics.

You can expect 70-75 hp/ 80-85 lbs tq with the carb, pipes, and Cam combo if your motor is in otherwise good shape. Give your stock heads a really good valve job and you should bolt back on 5 more.

Or get a newer motor and swap it out. Nice 113 SE would produce a lot more power...maybe 40 more ponies...

Good luck

Old 10-01-2009, 06:11 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,816 Likes on 1,178 Posts

Originally Posted by jurob
i ride with a raider s, xl1200, fatboy and a shadow 750 and i'm always playing catch up. part of the reason is i'm not going to beat the **** out of my bike to keep up, but i'm obviously outgunned even by the little 750.
Remember, you're riding with little bikes that were designed to be quick. And if you took that "pack" out west where you'd roll 75 - 85 all day long, you'd see that even your stock bike would likely be waiting on the others and they'd be whining when they caught up

Old 10-01-2009, 06:41 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

mill .040 off the heads,S&S .520 cam,S&S E carb or 42mm mikuni,we`ve done this combo more than i can count.great torque,great HP(80/80)
kirby
www.veetwinperformance.com

Last edited by prodrag1320; 10-01-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:33 AM
rezrider
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on the cam and rejetting, good free flowing breather and exhaust should do the trick. I think i would be checking that bike out for timing and carb, should'nt be getting beat up by a 750 shadow bone stock!

Old 10-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,425 Posts

A better ignition module really makes a difference. I have a Screaming Eagle and I'm happy with it. Then a decent carb and clean up the intake manifold. The monster Twinkies might get me on the road, but that's about it.

Yeah, you ain't gonna keep up with sport bikes. Whenever someone tells me how fast their jap bike is and how slow my bike is, I say "OK, let's race. Long beach to Daytona and back. First one wins." See how they are after 1 day on the road. You'll never see them after that because they'll still be trying to rest up at the motel. You just have to choose your battles.

Quick Reply: not real happy with the power