EVO All Evo Model Discussion

85 FXRS Rocker boxes

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Drdirlywood
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 FXRS Rocker boxes

Hey guys, newbee here with an 85 FXRS that has both of the rocker boxes leaking. front side is leaking the worst and i can get to that one but the rear is starting to leak also. The FXR frame is really tight over the rear head and i am wondering if there is some trick i am missing to getting in there and sealing it. Any help would be great, thanks attached is a pic of my ride

Attached Thumbnails 85 FXRS Rocker boxes-bike02.jpg  
Old 09-23-2009, 11:06 AM
mjmangus
Tourer

Welcome. As far as I know you have to remove the motor, which isn't that hard to do but a real PITA when all you want to do is stop a few leaks. Maybe somebody else has some ideas. Good Luck

Old 09-23-2009, 01:41 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have an 85 WG that was leaking also. Don't have to pull motor. The rocker cover is actually 3 pieces. You have the top a spacer and the bottom. Once you get the bolts out the top part will slide right out. Spacer isn't bolted down either.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,905 Likes on 1,424 Posts

That's just a regular rubber mount frame there, right? You can do like most of us and cut down a allen wrench until it fits under the frame for the left rear bolt, or you can do like the book says and lower the motor at the front motor mount. Either way, that's the only one you have trouble getting at.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:27 AM
Drdirlywood
4th Gear

Thanks for all of the info guys, I'll give it a go this weekend

Old 09-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Welcome.

Now for your 'problem': Leaky rockers (along with base gaskets) are a somewhat common condition on EVOs, so there are lots of 'tricks of the trade' to reseal them.

You do not have to remove the engine to reseal the rocker boxes. The MoCo would've went bankrupt back in the early 90's if that was the case. I have a 'special' cut down Allen wrench that I use. However, there are specialized wrenches that would be worth the money to have in your tool box. Check with either JP Cycles or any of the other vendors.

Put the bike on a jack/stand, pull the fuel tank, and remove the covers. I would fight the urge to just replace 'what you think is leaking', and replace the entire gasket set. If you don't have a torque wrench, you will need one for the bolts inside the boxes. You should be able to R&R your rocker boxes in an afternoon. The dealers, IIRC, charge around 4 hours labor + parts. The last gasket set I purchased from a dealer was around $50.

Use quality gaskets. The new OEM replacements are fine. I've never used any of the ones from James, et. al., so I can't comment on them.

IMPORTANT: Check the individual pieces for warpage. They DO warp. When they warp, you aren't going to get them to reseal. Ya gotta trust me on this one, after three years of dealing with leaking rocker boxes, I can attest to that. Oh, and just because the parts are NEW, doesn't mean they are not warped. Get a piece of plate glass and 'wiggle' them on it. Most commonly it's the center 'spacer' that warps. Here's another 'Trust Me': If you've got a warped section, pay the $$$ and get a Genuine HD part to replace it. Unless you're going to upgrade to a set of S&S boxes, I wouldn't throw money away on aftermarket junk.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:05 AM
rigevo
Novice
Wink

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
That's just a regular rubber mount frame there, right? You can do like most of us and cut down a allen wrench until it fits under the frame for the left rear bolt, or you can do like the book says and lower the motor at the front motor mount. Either way, that's the only one you have trouble getting at.
Here is how I do it.
I cut a small piece of allen wrench avout 3/4 inch long and insert it into the hex head and use a wrench to turn the allen wrench.
I fiund it a lot easier than trying to get that allen whrench into the bolt hear every time you have to re-position it.
Try it you'll like it.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:57 PM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8,470 Likes on 2,483 Posts

Piling on here....
I also use the cut down allen wrench. Fortunately, I've had to open those so rarely, I haven't minded doing it that way. As previously posted....check the trueness of your rocker box sections on a sheet of kinda thick glass. I used James gaskets on mine and they did great.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:07 PM
89 FXRS
Cruiser

I will have to disagree with all of you. I have done the job a few times and the best way is the way that the manual states. Lower the motor. You do not have to remove the motor as someone stated. Just lower it from the front motor mount. It is way easier than screwing around with a shortened allen wrench and no room to work. I tried that way too and ended up having to go back in and do the job the correct way.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:57 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain

Have an 85 FXWG don't have the option of dropping the front mount. It's not rubber mounted.

Quick Reply: 85 FXRS Rocker boxes