need timing light

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:27 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default need timing light

Hi
Its time I get a timing light for my 89 decker and from what I've read and heard there are timing lights that you can set to the degree you want, can I get some input as too which timing light works well and what your using?
Thanks

Old 09-22-2009, 05:35 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,175 Posts

The deal with the variable advance timing lights is that you can set the degrees of advance you want on the light (35 degrees for an Evo) and then read the TDC mark on the flywheel, rather than the advance mark on the flywheel which is a small dot. The variable advance feature retards the flash of the light and has no effect on the actual ignition.

Some lights with that feature have a switch for 2 or 4 cycle. Since the (stock) ignition is dual fire, if the light does not have a selectable (2 or 4), you have to double the values. That is; to read 35 degrees at the TDC mark, you'd have to set the light at 70 degrees. Also if it has a tach built in, it would read double of actual rpms.

I try to avoid opinions (usually) concerning personal preferences, but considering you basically only need to set timing once, I'd recommend the cheapest one you can find which has a selectable cycle feature. Lots of choices out there, so shop around. And I do recommend the clear timing hole plug rather than old storm doors, diving goggles or disposable clothes - they will blow a lot of oil out at you!

Old 09-22-2009, 06:39 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts
Default timing

little secret here,take out the timing plug and get the advance mark (round mark) in the middle of the window,drain primary and take off instection cover,clean a spot on alternater rotor & inner primary,get some white out and mark rotor and primary,put timing plug back in and time with light thru inspection cover hole,no mess,ALOT easier to see mark.try it,you`ll like it
kirby
vee twin racing
www.veetwinperformance.com

Old 09-22-2009, 07:43 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by t150vej
The deal with the variable advance timing lights is that you can set the degrees of advance you want on the light (35 degrees for an Evo) and then read the TDC mark on the flywheel, rather than the advance mark on the flywheel which is a small dot. The variable advance feature retards the flash of the light and has no effect on the actual ignition.

Some lights with that feature have a switch for 2 or 4 cycle. Since the (stock) ignition is dual fire, if the light does not have a selectable (2 or 4), you have to double the values. That is; to read 35 degrees at the TDC mark, you'd have to set the light at 70 degrees. Also if it has a tach built in, it would read double of actual rpms.

I try to avoid opinions (usually) concerning personal preferences, but considering you basically only need to set timing once, I'd recommend the cheapest one you can find which has a selectable cycle feature. Lots of choices out there, so shop around. And I do recommend the clear timing hole plug rather than old storm doors, diving goggles or disposable clothes - they will blow a lot of oil out at you!
Thanks again for the valuable input. I did buy one timing light at our Canadian Tire store in Ontario here it was 50 bucks, I connected it up and got one flash out of it and that was it. I had thought maybe that one was maybe only for points. I seen they have another one that has the degree dial on the back for 100 bucks and was thinking this may be the one I need. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...ng%2BLight.jsp

Old 09-22-2009, 08:17 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have an extra Dyna 2000 mod Hell with the timing light ! The last time someone wanted me to time their bike I took them behind the shop showed them what to do (timing plug removal etc etc ) At which time I went back into the shop 10 minutes later the guy came into the shop dripping oil off his new leather I asked him how it went he said he really didn't need it timed !!! I did offer him a beer

Old 09-22-2009, 08:21 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Originally Posted by sqdealgeorge
The last time someone wanted me to time their bike I took them behind the shop showed them what to do (timing plug removal etc etc ) At which time I went back into the shop 10 minutes later the guy came into the shop dripping oil off his new leather I asked him how it went he said he really didn't need it timed !!! I did offer him a beer

Old 09-22-2009, 08:32 AM
prodrag1320
Banned

time it like i explained,you`ll never time it thru the timing hole again,trust me.same with open belts,mark the pully and time it off that
kirby
vee twin racing

Old 09-22-2009, 09:25 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sqdealgeorge
I have an extra Dyna 2000 mod Hell with the timing light ! The last time someone wanted me to time their bike I took them behind the shop showed them what to do (timing plug removal etc etc ) At which time I went back into the shop 10 minutes later the guy came into the shop dripping oil off his new leather I asked him how it went he said he really didn't need it timed !!! I did offer him a beer

Old 09-22-2009, 09:27 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
time it like i explained,you`ll never time it thru the timing hole again,trust me.same with open belts,mark the pully and time it off that
kirby
vee twin racing
No matter which way I time it I still need to know which type of light to get.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:24 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Default timing light

just go to autozone(or whatever)and get the cheapest one they have,no dials,no switches,just a regular timing light,2,4,6,8 cylinders dosnt matter,just a regular timing light
kirby
vee twin racing

Quick Reply: need timing light