Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's too funny.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:32 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 89 FXRS
I have been a HD rider for over 35 years and I cannot believe the whining that I am hearing. So what a little oil pukes out the timing hole. I tried the clear plastic and found that it was a waste of time. I could not see the mark.

Anyway any timing light will do, Buck up and get the job done, I have more respect for the guy that checked his timing and got a little oil on himself than anyone alse that paid someone to do it for him. You guys that own Evos and newer have no idea what HD riding was like for those that choose HD as a DD and enjoyed every minute. I lived with people yelling to me to buy a Honda when I was broke down or pushing my bike before Evos. I would yell back that I would rathe push my HD. So buck and get dirty. I guarentee that you will get oil in your teeth from the smile knowing that you are doing something that every pan, shovel and knuckel owner have in common with the Evo.

The timing hole!
I don't remember it ever being this difficult seeing the line, I got a longer plastic timing plug and still couldn't see the line and I think it was more because the lite was reflecting on the plastic . I may have to eat the oil
I did try something else though, I put motor to tdc with line, scribed a line above the long open slot on the timing plate and tried timing with the front cylinder opening on the cup , not exactly accurate but its a start, I think I just have to find out where tdc on the cup is exactly and dial up 35 degree on light and see what I can do.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:13 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Originally Posted by ridemywg
I don't remember it ever being this difficult seeing the line, I got a longer plastic timing plug and still couldn't see the line and I think it was more because the lite was reflecting on the plastic . I may have to eat the oil
I did try something else though, I put motor to tdc with line, scribed a line above the long open slot on the timing plate and tried timing with the front cylinder opening on the cup , not exactly accurate but its a start, I think I just have to find out where tdc on the cup is exactly and dial up 35 degree on light and see what I can do.
If you dial up 35 on the light, it's doubtful you'll ever find either mark rewgardless of how much you adjust it.

Since your light only goes to 60, you need to leave it at zero and look the the advance DOT on the flywheel. And always use the front plug wire for timing.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:07 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Let's all get drunk and leave it that way ! Thank you very much !

Old 09-27-2009, 07:10 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I decided to do the next best thing and copy the TDC to the cup on timing side and use the left pillar bolt as a refernce point, I then extended the drilled hole to look like the stock slot on the timing plate and dialed the 35 degree up on the timing light, seems to have worked ok although the notch I cut into the cup seems to dance back and forward a bit around 1/4 inch.