EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:33 PM
dkfxr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks

This may be a stupid question but how do you know if your shocks need to be replaced? I have an 89 Electraglide that is fairly rough riding. The air will not stay to pressure on them but that may be the lines. Do you need the air for a smooth ride? I am coming from an 06 BMW that has a great ride and I may just be expecting too much.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:17 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

We definitely need the air on our bike, with no air the bike will bottom out far too often. I don't think the Harley will ever ride as smoothly as the BMW but there are better shocks available that will improve the ride. I would consider replacing the shocks because of their age, but I would not replace them with the stock shocks but go to the newer touring shocks, or buy a set of after market shocks.

We are currently using '09 bagger shocks on our 1990 flhtcu. A fellow bought the bike new and immediately replaced the shocks with Progressive 440 Heavy Duty shocks. New takeoff parts are usually well priced because the owners of new Harleys are more interested in getting rid of what they consider inferior quality - but they are better quality than the stock parts on older models. The '09 model touring shocks are set up for more weight than the shocks on older electraglides. The newer shocks are the same size, the tubing and fittings they use are different, I had to change the one piece of tubing - actually got it free at a dealer as the one mechanic had it laying on his box after he changed out a set of shocks.

0n edit: I purchased the shocks from a 2009 as a temporary measure so I could ride while my Heavy Duty Progressive 440 shocks were sent back for warranty work, and within less than 2 weeks, Progressive sent me what appears to be brand new 440 Heavy duty shocks for free, not even shipping charges! I still did not got around to putting the Progressive 440 shocks on again, as the takeoffs are good enough for me. Progressive shocks are expensive, but they certainly have one of the best, if not the best lifetime warranty for the original owner.

Last edited by pajoe; 09-12-2009 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Thumbs up

At 20 years old and with the description you give of their ride quality you could find a quiet corner to bury your old shocks!

There has been some debate in the Touring forum on shocks, as they affect every generation of dresser. If you have deep pockets, or a sensitive butt which likes to ride behind, you could consider Ohlins from Motorcycle Metal (a HDF sponsor). They are on my short-list as an upgrade for my 1990 bike.

Last edited by grbrown; 09-12-2009 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-12-2009, 07:21 AM
pajoe
Road Captain

grbrown,

That is an interesting thread about the Ohlins from Motorcycle Metal (a HDF sponsor). Several years ago when the Progessive 440 Heavy Duty shocks were very popular I read similar comments saying the Prgressive 440 HD shiocks were much better than the other Harley shocks available. On ours, riding 2 up 99.99% of the time, pushing the bike's weight limit (500+lbs) the newer stock Harley touring shocks work pretty good, actually as good as our Progressive shocks did...but we don't do any street racing. I think I paid $80.00 for my '09 touring shocks and that included an air pump. Maybe one of these days I need to put the new replacement Progressive shocks on, there may be a bigger difference now. I was comparing the ride to shocks that were several years old and apparently defective.

I do like the idea of 4" of travel to handle bigger bumps, these days when we cross some railroad tracks and other bigger bumps I must put pressure on the floorboards to keep from bottoming out, having a little more travel may eliminate most of that...decisions, decisions...

joe

Old 09-12-2009, 10:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Pajoe,

I was always happy with the original shocks on my bike - when riding solo! But fully laden with wife and luggage for a touring holiday and even at max pressure they bottomed out far too often.

I currently have Fournales air shocks, which are much better when solo - but you might guess they are still not good enough when fully laden. They are better, but we still bottom out too often and it is my wife's butt that takes the worst of it.

Most Harley shocks including after-market ones have between 2 1/2 to 3 inches of travel. The thought of over 4 is almost too much to bear! I am about to replace my original rear swingarm with a 2007, but next on my list of improvement projects is likely to be Ohlins shocks.

Last edited by grbrown; 09-12-2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-12-2009, 11:54 AM
pajoe
Road Captain

I read the '09 touring shocks are designed for much higher air pressure, but I never pushed it over 40 pounds. I also read some threads on replacing the oil in the stock shocks with something heavier will increase the amount of weight stock shocks can handle without bottoming out. My wife seems to handle it much better than I do, she very seldom complains about anything associated with riding.

The swingarm project does sound interesting, hope you take a lot of pictures..

Old 09-12-2009, 02:49 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pajoe
My wife seems to handle it much better than I do, she very seldom complains about anything associated with riding.

The swingarm project does sound interesting, hope you take a lot of pictures..
Your wife must be a saint - or she is very well padded.....

The swingarm project is something I first discovered on a UK Harley forum, but is also covered by Howard on the MM website. Funnily enough those few of us in the UK who do it are dependent on the US trike market to provide the parts! My 2007 swingarm assembly, just 200 miles old, is winging its way across the Atlantic as I write. I am waiting on news of my new style 2005 wheel, only purchased a few days ago. Good ole Ebay!