EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Clutch Cable Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:24 PM
devilock76
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Cable Adjustment

Should the cable be adjusted when the engine is cold or warm. I ask because I have too much play when it is warm and it is making Neutral hard to find. Oh and by warm, My oil temperature is reading about 185.

Ken

Old 09-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,897 Likes on 1,423 Posts

It shouldn't matter, but adjust the play warm if that's where it's acting up. Keep in mind that difficulty finding neutral is normal. That is, "They all do that, sir." And this can be improved significantly by changing the type of primary fluid after first making sure the clutch is adjusted properly, and not just the cable part, but the whole thing inside the cover. Your official H.D. shop manual will describe the procedure.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:42 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

As above, the type primary fluid seems to influence neutral 'findability'. IIRC, the FSM on my 93 says to adjust the clutch 'at room temp', but I have to read it everytime I do it. I also don't adjust the cable without going inside the derby cover and adjusting the rod to spec.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:49 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

You could try switching to something like Castrol "Type F" automatic transmission fluid. It seems to make it a little better than using the regular HD primary oil. Energy One also recommends B&M Trick Shift but I could not find that brand at the local Advance Auto Store. Also, my manual states to be careful not to overfill the primary as that could make finding neutral more difficult.Mine is the opposite of yours, it gets better as everything warms up.

On mine, it also seems to work better going from 1st to neutral, and timing the move as you blip the throttle a little, as the rpms change it is easier to slide out of first. One time a lady that pulled in front of me at the gas station and asked if she took the spot I wanted at the pump because I was sitting there and blipping the throttle, now if I have trouble at the gas station, I just turn it off and put it in neutral before I start it up again.

Much like Hackd , I adjust the rod prior to adjusting the cable, but with the Energy One extra disc kit using a heavier clutch spring it still is not as easy finding neutral on mine as with the stock clutch setup. However, it's one of those little things that takes a little getting used to do, maybe the next guy would really have a hard time, but now for me it is pretty normal operation. It's interesting how many skills you develop to ride an older Harley - all part of the "Harley Mystic" .

Old 09-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,897 Likes on 1,423 Posts

I am currently running Mobil 1 ATF in my primary and Mobil SHC630 in the transmission. The M1 ATF was at Autozone. The SHC630 you have to get from Grainger's. It made shifting really smooth and finding neutral easier. Which one did what, I dunno, as I changed both at the same time from HD transmission oil and HD primary oil.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:06 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

WE use Castrol Synthetic type VI in our primaries unless the customer really wants something else.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:36 AM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cold

Well, the service manual reads, adjust the clutch cable cold. Gap should be between 1/16 to 1/8 inch. Mine's at a 1/16. It works find. However, when shifting I miss 2nd gear once in a while. That said, I'm no mechanic, so I defer to those in the know.