EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Rock poking through belt!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:14 AM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Rock poking through belt!

The other day we had my bike up on the rack and I noticed the belt had a rock through it!!! The rock was small and embedded right into the belt. I decided to leave it where it was at.
I have asked some of my buddies and a few say replace the belt ASAP and a few say let it go and don't worry about it.
What do you guys think? Any experience with this? I hate to pull it all apart and buy a new belt if I don't have to.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:29 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My 2000 service manual only calls for belt replacement if the stone damage is on the edge of the belt.....I have a buddy that got a rock hole in his belt in 2000. He is still riding on that belt.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Remove it! That rock is doing the belt no good where it is.

I have had the same experience and am continuing to use the bike. If the damage is near the edge of the belt there is a risk the belt will break.

The photo is of the damage to my belt. I have done around 4,000 miles since finding it and removing the stone, including a 2,500 tour on holiday, 2-up and fully loaded. There is now a small crack in the outer layer of the belt, which is recent. I don't have any long trips planned, otherwise I would replace it now, but I reckon it will last a while yet, riding day trips.

Attached Thumbnails Rock poking through belt!-drive-belt-7jul09.jpg  
Old 08-17-2009, 07:21 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Definetly remove the rock, it will damage the pulley. As stated previously stated it is probably ok if it is not near the edge. Do you have the lower belt guard in place??

Old 08-17-2009, 02:32 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

i had a rock go through the belt on my 85. i removed the rock and rode it for 11 years before i replaced it. the only reason i replaced the belt was, the teeth started to peel off the belt.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:30 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bagga
i had a rock go through the belt on my 85. i removed the rock and rode it for 11 years before i replaced it. the only reason i replaced the belt was, the teeth started to peel off the belt.
Bagga,

Thanks for posting that! Some of my pals have been giving me a hard time for not replacing it immediately. Roughly how many miles did you do on your 'damaged' belt?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:05 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

40k- 50k, i really don't know. the hole was right in the middle of the belt.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:22 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely remove the rock!
If the damage is minimal, you can still use the belt, but if it's near the edge, I'd replace it. It'll be less pain if you replaced it now, rather than having the belt blow on a trip while out of town.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:22 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a rock poke a hole in my belt on my 87 FLHTC. Asked everyone what they thought, all the wrenchs said let it go. So I let it go, one night one of my friends just finish breaking in his 1200 sportster. At a light he was egging me on and I jumped on it and BAM the belt broke right where the rock poked thru. Now I was playing around,but it wasnot a whole shot. I was just taking off the line. I would pull the rock out and if you let it go don't beat on it.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:30 AM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by miacycles
Definetly remove the rock, it will damage the pulley. As stated previously stated it is probably ok if it is not near the edge. Do you have the lower belt guard in place??
I do have the lower belt gaurd in place. Thanks for the advise on pulling the rock out. In around a 100K of riding with belts I have never run into this problem. The rock is not in the center and not on the edge if I remember correctly. I will see if I can upload picks tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Rock poking through belt!