EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Can I add cruise control to my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:47 PM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I add cruise control to my bike?

Hey guys can cruise control be added to my bike? It's a 1996 flhr-i but were they all able to accept CC? and what do I look for to see if it can be added. Wrist starting to be a real issue.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Check your old HD catalogs, I believe The MoCo offered a kit.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:47 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 791 Likes on 384 Posts

I looked into this for my 94. What I ended up doing was adjusting the friction lock where it'll hold for a few seconds before it releases so I can give my throttle hand a rest.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:52 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have actual cruise controls???? I thought cruise control on a motorcycle was just a throttle lock or is that what you guys are talking about?

Old 08-17-2009, 12:40 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Toke a look at the Kuryakyn Premium Iso-Grips with the Throttle Boss(69.95 retail). They have a little adjustable lever on the end that allows you to rest the heel of your hand on it rather than holding it with your wrist. I use them and love it. Hope this helps.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:41 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggDogg
They have actual cruise controls???? I thought cruise control on a motorcycle was just a throttle lock or is that what you guys are talking about?
No Harley has an electronic cruise control.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:07 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Actuallly, electronic cruise control was, and has been an option for a number of years beginning circa 1989 on the carburetor touring models. It worked via a servo mounted to the throttle cable bracket, controlled by a module in conjuction with the speed sensor inside the speedo (like the AVC for the radio). I don't know about the fuel-infected bikes......

I don't have the parts book for that late of a model, but anyone who does could give you the part numbers. I have no clue whether they'd still be avaliable.

My g/f gave me a throttle lock lever that works the best of anything I've seen/tried. It's called KleverLever. Real easy to work with thumb or forefinger and they are about 6-7 bucks. Should be some on fleaBay. PS they come in colors too....

Last edited by t150vej; 01-08-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:07 AM
phat96
Road Warrior

Thanks guys but I was wanting something I could remove my hand from completly to rest it or shake it out. John I have the Kuryakan Iso grips with the throttle mate and it's ok, but wrist still hurts carpo symptom I guess. I've seen a company that sells the cruise control set up in the high $300's but something about a clip for a spring behind the EFI on the motor I guess, I just wondered if all Road Kings would have this or not?
Thanks guys.

Last edited by phat96; 08-18-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:36 AM
wulffe
Tourer

On the Klever Lever and the other extenders for the thumbscrews I've been reluctant because I sort of think that the thumbscrew makes the throttle harder to twist when it is 'almost' engaged and that this was adding to my wrist fatigue issues so I run it several turns out from being engaged. But I've never been sure.

Is there a noticable increase in resistance on the throttle when the extenders are at their disengaged setting? Seems like that would be 1/4 turn or less from locked.

Love my old beast but I envy cruise control most, hand control based radio functions and the newer saddlebag setups next.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:40 PM
askoldbob
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my '95/'96 parts book doesn't show factory c/c came on carbed or injected Roadkings. It does show it came on injected e-glides. Throttle body is the same. If you can find a p&a catalog from around that era you might find something there. If you want part numbers, e-mail me and I'll scan the pages and send them to you as long as the MOCO doesn't come after me. And yes, it's just like a car.

Quick Reply: Can I add cruise control to my bike?