EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Pulling Inner Primary - Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009 | 08:03 PM
wulffe
|
Tourer
Default Pulling Inner Primary - Help

I am trying to pull the inner primary on my beast. I have the enclosed chain on an 84 1/2 Evo.

After removing everything including the 4 bolts holding the chain enclosure on I am trying to rotate the primary clockwise around the mainshaft just as the manual says.

But it won't go. The metal flange lower right facing the primary which hooks up to the chain enclosure hits the frame brace crosspiece. I have some pictures that I will try to post in a little while although I'm not sure they will tell the full story.

I can accomplish what I need to do without actually pulling it off. I'm replacing the gaskets to the trans/starter/solenoid from the inner primary adn I can get them in there without getting it any further off but I sure would like to know how to do this while it's still hanging there in case I ever need to do it. Planning on buttoning it up tomorrow morning. It almost looks like I'd have to raise the transmission.

Old 07-31-2009 | 09:16 PM
Rob85WG
Tourer

I've had my 85 apart but no enclosed chain, I have a belt. I check in later to see how you're doing. Pics would sure help.

Rob

Old 08-01-2009 | 07:48 AM
oldroadie
Intermediate

I'm not sure since mine is a 95 Dyna but it was dead simple to pull the lot once I got in there:

Maybe a FLH has frame obstructions that mine doesn't. Not much help am I?

Old 08-01-2009 | 09:37 AM
bigtone
Cruiser

He means enclosed rear chain guys......I used to have an old 81 FLT wich was a rubber mount 5 speed and enclosed rear chain, pretty much what you have but with a shovel engine. I pulled the inner primary off, but it was many years ago. I do remember interference that you dont normally see with a rear belt. I think I may have slightly raised the trans to get the clearance to rotate and remove the primary. For how much trouble that rear enclosed chain is, I think I would scout ebay for an inner primary and swingarm and pulleys and convert it to belt.

Attached Thumbnails Pulling Inner Primary - Help-bothbikes.jpg  
Old 08-02-2009 | 04:36 AM
wulffe
|
Tourer

Thanks all. Bigtone - It's good to have some validation that it wasn't like one of those metal puzzles where it looks impossible to separate the pieces but it's dead easy once you know how. Raising the tranny for a relatively basic maintenance move - sheesh.

I may get the pictures uploaded someday but I don't have the right USB for the camera I used to take the pictures and my old camera won't take the same memory stick.

I agree the enclosed chain is a PITA but on the other hand 75K miles and the chain looks perfect. Not sure changing to a belt will rise to the top of my wanna list unless I have some sort of disaster that makes it at least partly a gotta.

Old 08-08-2009 | 04:15 AM
wulffe
|
Tourer

OK. Closed it back up.

Unfortunately I still have the leak – worse than before so I have to open it back up. missed somewhere on the gasket but that is not all that surprising since I was trying to install it with the inner primary still hanging on the mainshaft and my fat fingers trying to work blind.

I am also struggling with getting the chain enclosure sealed to the primary. I can’t even see where I’m trying to apply the silicone and I am seriously considering pulling the enclosure system off. What would be involved in that? Would it just be a matter of pulling off the pieces and then putting a spacer in on the back wheel? Any idea what size spacer or a source? Or a trick to getting a good seal on this blind?

I'd like to switch to a belt so I don't have to lube the chain periodically once I pull the enclosure but cash is an issue.

If I pulled the enclosure off, what primary could I switch to without other major changes? If I have to raise the tranny to pull the inner I’d like to do it only once. Any chance of keeping the outer primary I have and replacing only the inner?

Old 08-08-2009 | 09:34 AM
notlost_nc
Road Master

Have you removed the 2 hoses from the back of the inner primary ?

As for reinstalling the boots I have had good luck with reinstalling with blue rtv and using ball end hex wrenches. I attach a coat hanger to the chain to pull it through the boot after I get it installed. If you have the back wheel off it may be easier to get your fingers in for the top one. Once you get it installed properly you'll forget all about what a PITA it is to work on. Good luck.

Old 08-08-2009 | 09:44 AM
notlost_nc
Road Master

If you're totally ready to surrender you can try this Supermax kit.

FXR and FLT

Kind of pricey, will most likely give you some incentive to keep the chain.

Old 08-08-2009 | 07:32 PM
bigtone
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wulffe
OK. Closed it back up.

Unfortunately I still have the leak – worse than before so I have to open it back up. missed somewhere on the gasket but that is not all that surprising since I was trying to install it with the inner primary still hanging on the mainshaft and my fat fingers trying to work blind.

I am also struggling with getting the chain enclosure sealed to the primary. I can’t even see where I’m trying to apply the silicone and I am seriously considering pulling the enclosure system off. What would be involved in that? Would it just be a matter of pulling off the pieces and then putting a spacer in on the back wheel? Any idea what size spacer or a source? Or a trick to getting a good seal on this blind?

I'd like to switch to a belt so I don't have to lube the chain periodically once I pull the enclosure but cash is an issue.

If I pulled the enclosure off, what primary could I switch to without other major changes? If I have to raise the tranny to pull the inner I’d like to do it only once. Any chance of keeping the outer primary I have and replacing only the inner?

I sold my 81 FLT that I mentioned in my previous post to a friend years ago. He removed the enclosed chain and just put an o ring chain I believe. he ran it that way for years until he sold it.