EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Trailer Pulling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I ended up with the Harbor Freight Haul-Master Tag A Long. Nice little trailer. Took only a couple hours to assemble the thing. On the box it said Max 45 MPH, In the instruction book it says Max 55 MPH. On the trailer ID tag and safety warning it says 55 MPH. After much checking and some phone calls, All it means it the ratings they post on their trailers is a manufacturers CYA thing. I used the Hoppy Power taillight converter kit and it works very well. Does not pull any amps from the bikes system. Took it for a test yesterday and it pulls straight and true. Had it up to 70 MPH with no problem at all. Only 2 issues I have with it is this. 1) Its gonna need some additional lights and 2) the rear of the leaf springs make some noise over bumps. I'm going to put some rubber in that area to quiet it down. Today, Were headding to the beach with it loaded. After that, who knows. Wife calls it her new shopping cart! I can see what's comming from that! LOL. I attached a pic. It looks just like a Piggybacker without the chrome bumper.

Attached Thumbnails Trailer Pulling.-trailer01.jpg  
Old 07-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Looks nice.
Couple-a-notes:

It does pull amps from your bike's system. They have to come from somewhere. It just isn't pulling any (significant) current through the rest of the brake/running/turn signal circuits. It pulls it directly from the charging system.

On the squeek, when I put my trailer together, which is substantially the same thing, only bought separately, I noticed that the HF spring/suspension system looked like it would make some noise from the spring rubbing on the frame. I greased those contact points up. Also, the bracket where the spring end rides, the bolt they had holding it on looked like it was going to ride directly on the spring. I welded the bracket to the frame instead of using the bolt. We'll see how it works out. I'm doing a clutch cable on my bike right now, then I need to road test my rig. Just finished a total clutch job on Dr.Linda's Sportster.

Mine took me a couple weeks to build, but I mostly used the HF trailer as parts. I cut it narrower, shorter, tubbed the box, welded everything, etc. The only thing I couldn't figure out how to do is make paint stick to the box. I tried every paint out there, including the special prep the factory suggested and nothing would stick to it. Oh well, grey is a good color for a box top.