EVO All Evo Model Discussion

96 fuel injection?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009 | 09:57 AM
mkizer
|
Advanced
Angry 96 fuel injection?

Help me out here, I have a 96 ultra FI and I havent found out to much about this yet, I have seen total fuel systems but is there anyway to re-map the fuel? I was thinking about adding a cam to my motor because it doesnt have that nice sound yet but i am afraid that when I do it will idle to hight to even notice the lope? I have a set of screamin eagle pipes on but iam not convinced they are for me just yet almost too quiet.

I am new to the harley scene but I am loving my bike so far but I thought there would be alot more out there pertaining to these bikes? What was the big change in 97? I notice most seats and accesories go from new bikes to 97 and it leaves us out with the 96 year models.... I guess iam just frustrated thats all!

Old 06-25-2009 | 12:04 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

I believe they changed the EFI system then. Different computer. That means that if there's one model that is different, no one will make black boxes for that. That's probably what you are running up against. Really, if you want to do a bunch of changes like cams, heads, etc., the best thing would be to change the computer system. Either a complete system from a later model that you can change it to something like a Microsquirt. The Microsquirt would give you full, total control of the fuel maps with no extra boxes to buy. The later model HD system would need another box and other stuff, but more people would be familiar with tuning it. Depends on how much of a DIY'er you are.

Old 06-25-2009 | 12:24 PM
Curlybill
Road Master

Be sure and check what you have on the bike. The inject systems came out around 96. There where a lot of problems. And a lot were changed out. As far as seat ,etc, for 97 up, MoCo changed the way the seat is hooked up. 97 up has a hinge on the front were the older bikes don't.

Old 06-25-2009 | 01:28 PM
mkizer
|
Advanced
Default well

is there a way to change the bike to accept the newer seats?? come on guys give me some good info here.... I know there has to be someone who modded there fuel injected 96, I have had no problems with mine and it has 60,000 miles on it.. I just would like to have it sound and run a little better so is there anyone of the old evo fuel injected guys here?

Old 06-26-2009 | 01:12 PM
jasontrucks76
Cruiser

I have a 97 EFI and I can tell you this…… Mods are only limited by your imagination and pocket book. Seats should be simple, as far as fuel system..... I am and would suggest carb it if you really want to make some changes. Our old EFI's are not going to give us much room like the new ones. My 05 I could tune the heck out of the EFI but this 97..... Not so much.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing and how it works out!

JT

Old 06-30-2009 | 11:02 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

97's had an ECM change that allowed them to be programed, 96's had some sort of Harley campaign that updated them to the 97 ECM. The 97 ECM part number ends in 97, the updated ECM can be programmed by the Harley cartrage flash, Power Commander or Sert, after that, you have to sell a kidney to pay for all of EFI changes.

Check your ECM in the right side cover and see if it ends in 97, if it does you have options and I will be honest, just putting a cam in a Evo EFI won't give you the lope your wanting, it takes a whole lot of engine work and still won't sound like a carbed engine, the EFI has it's advantages but takes time to tune and patience to understand what is going on.

96 has a different top frame tube and 97 up seat and tank won't fit, I purchased a spare tank and found that out from researching during the purchase. Hope this helps

Old 06-30-2009 | 05:11 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

A basic heavy bike mod is a EV-27 cam that gives grunt and pulls to 5000 rpms, check for the 32423-97 ecm and install a basic controller which is a Power Commander 3 and find a canned map on the Dynojet website to match your build.

Harley has a Stage 2 that is a SE-3 cam, bigger red injectors, air filter and a flash cartrage that Harley loads to your ECM 32423-97, the flash is supposed to raise the rpm limit but info seems to be cloudy on what it actually does. The Stage 2 does work and some fair prices on E-bay

Having the heads reworked, milled and EV-27 or V-thunder 3020 will really wake the Evo up to a different bike. Bigger injectors should be installed, PC3 or a Sert and heading towards a dyno tune which is $$$$$

Strokers, big bore, heads, camshafts, changing primary gear ratios (yours is 3.15) modded intakes, injectors, bigger fuel regulator, true duels, 2 into 1 exhaust. The world of performance and M&M EFI is obtainable, I know EFI and performance can go together from my Evo ride but runability frustrations do occur and it takes time to get it perfect.

If you want the Harley loping idle, do the carb change over and save money instead of chasing it with the EFI. A modded M&M intake, large cam and fuel will get it close to the sound but not consistanly.

Your idle screw is behind the air filter element through a hole in the air cleaner backing plate on the right side of the backing plate, air filter element needs to be removed.

Old 07-01-2009 | 12:10 AM
mkizer
|
Advanced

thanks for the world of information!! I learned more from you then i have read in 45 days!! I was hoping there was a way to do the newer seat but I guess thats what I get for not researching more! I just couldnt pass this 96 up mainly because it was so clean and all the service records and of course the price... It also has never been messed with, i just put a set of screamin eagles on it and then I put on a K&N yesterday and the k&N really made a different machine out of it! I couldnt believe the difference the filter alone made! I was tottally shocked and blown away by just the instant change. I am going to just keep tinkering little by little and I built all my own engines for my drag cars but I have never even turned a bolt on a Harley so i guess this will be a good learning expierence and this winter it should be fun to do a rebuild and freshen it up for next sumer. Again thanks for all your help and its good to know there is a idle screw because it is idling a little high for me like at 1000rpm and I was thinking I had to by a commander to adjust idle... again thanks...

Old 07-01-2009 | 12:57 AM
phat96
Road Warrior

You can do plenty with the 96, I've wanted that slower lope too, but my bike runs and pulls hard with the EV27 cam and SE pushrods and JIMS hydralic lifters, I also put the SE stage 1 air cleaner and I'm using the Rev Tech DFO for fuel manegment, wanting to do the heads at some point and like Dr. Hess said maybe the microsquit at some point yea the idle is a little high but I can live with it, so I guess for now switching to a carb or buying a new ECM, isn't needed. So go out there and spend your money, god knows I have and the wife hasn't killed me.

As for the seat I found a saddleman seat in the Dennis Kirk catalog it's the profiler it looks cool and is under $400.
Good luck with your choices.

Old 07-01-2009 | 06:43 AM
gearheadmb1
Intermediate

i have a 94 flhtc had a lapera solo on it it was a pain in the azz
got boared one winter day and found a stock seat for a 97 and
newer real cheap and went to work on it. first had to cut the
toungue on it so it fit under the tab on the tank trial anr error
then made a bracket out of sheet steel into a u shape so it had
a finger on each side of the tongue to hold it from going sideways
have to bend the fingers up.then take part of the seat cover off
at the front to trim the seat pan to fit around the tank. staple
cover back on and that was it.looks good to me and feels good
that is what matters.and it was cheap 20.00 for seat and my time.
now lets ride
also happy canada day to all my fellow canucks
gear

Quick Reply: 96 fuel injection?