EVO All Evo Model Discussion

96 fuel injection?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009 | 10:02 AM
mkizer
|
Advanced

Ok I just checked it and checked it twice to make sure and this is what I get? After I cycle the switch The light goes off and then about 8 seconds later it comes back on and never flashes and stays steady for about 6 to 10 seconds and then goes off and never comes back on??? So what in the world could that be?? I need to invest in a service manual and I will come tomorrow but they are closed today....

Old 07-06-2009 | 11:59 AM
mkizer
|
Advanced

by the way I rode it to work this morn..... i figured out if I ride it until the damn thing quits I will know for sure what in the heck is wrong with it!!! I was thinking maybe a temp sensor?? would this cause all of this crap?

Old 07-06-2009 | 05:19 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Temperature sensor will cause a bad idle because the engine is running really rich and trying to choke down when hot, should be some black smoke when you are trying to clear it out but won't backfire. I guess it could foul the plugs and pop when they decide to lite.

Crank sensor will cause an engine to surge and shut off irratically as it controls the injectors, no backfire

Ignition module controls ignition fire thru ECM to coil, can be a source for backfiring but does it backfire thru intake or exhaust? Pull your ign module cover and see how bad module is melted, they do change shapes from heat but some start dripping and a lead to your problem

Basics of plug wires, cracked coil or loose wire connections can also be in the picture, can't always condem an EFI control so quickly.

Trying to throw some things out there as talking about a problem usually stimulates some dead brain cells and a light will go on.

Old 07-07-2009 | 12:56 AM
2nd Mike
Tourer

phat 96, are you running the '96 ecm?

I spun a cam bearing last year,decided if I needed a new cam,I might as well go for the stage II kit!

I installed the cam.new bearing,new oil pump(the bearing chunks took it out),Jims lifters & SE adjustable push rods along with a Techlusion TFI running the 96 ecm.
It ran better than stock by a long shot with the factory "black" injectors.

I finally got around to installing the red injectors today and it was running so rich at idle that it would barely run and fowled the plugs while I was trying to adjust the TFI.

I slapped in another set of plugs and it still ran extremely rich at idle(my eyes still burn) but it came alive above 2500rpm,cleared out,and revved like a crotch rocket!

The throttle response above 2500 was impressive but the plug fowling idle(green pot set to "off") will require me to reinstall the "black"injectors unless someone has a suggestion.

I checked for intake leaks-none.

I'm bummed but not defeated!

Thanks. I hope this won't be considered a thread hi-jack!!

Old 07-07-2009 | 09:45 PM
mkizer
|
Advanced

No HI JACK AT ALL!!! We are all here for the same reason!! Well so far I have good news!! I bought me a temp sensor yesterday and came home today and 20 minutes later I had the the new sensor in and while I was at it I went ahead and put plugs in it, it had some Champions and I only like Champions in my lawn mower so I crossed over to some autolites. Well I could tell immediately that it seemed to idle better after initial warmup.... I then went for a ride to get it to operating tempature in town and was yanking on it pretty hard and the bike just felt different in a very good way!! Well so far no more hesitation, no more funky crap at all so I am hoping that its cured for now?? fingers crossed!! I do only have one question since I am a little gun shy and it might have always done this and I never noticed but I did today and thats when I start it the engine light stays on for like 8 seconds but goes off?? I know this might sound like a stupid question but is that normal?? Thanks

Old 07-08-2009 | 12:02 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, it's normal for the engine light to stay on for a few seconds after turning the switch.

Old 07-08-2009 | 12:31 AM
phat96
Road Warrior

2nd Mike, yup I'm running the stock 96 ecm and stock injectors on my bike, I've had no problems (knock on wood) with ecm or injectors with my add ons to the motor, about 4 years ago I had a blown head gasket and the clutch took a dump, but good since then. Only difference on our bikes is I went with the DFO from rev tech and you went with the technolusion. Getting my bike dyno-ed next month. I want to see what it will do, before looking into head work on it GMR is in Prescott about 90 minutes from me.
Have a good week.

Old 07-08-2009 | 09:02 AM
mkizer
|
Advanced

Well I guess I should have said it stays on after I start the bike? But it doesnt flash? Oil pressure is 20-30 but I am not sure if I ever noticed the light staying on after I started the bike for 8 seconds or so..... I did ride it to work this morning and its a different bike for sure...

Old 07-08-2009 | 09:26 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member

Mkizer, If the light stays on after starting the bike then goes out, it is showing that there is a stored code in there.

Old 07-08-2009 | 10:14 AM
mkizer
|
Advanced

thanks, I have tried getting this code with no luck!! I turn the ignition on and sit for 3 secs, turn off for 3 secs and back on for 3 secs and back off for 3 and then leave on?? its not showing anything... I will go try it again since it is at work with me...

Quick Reply: 96 fuel injection?