EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Has anyone changed out the ECM, mine 96 RK - efi

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009 | 11:54 PM
phat96
|
Road Warrior
Default Has anyone changed out the ECM, mine 96 RK - efi

Jamie at fuel moto recommended that I should change out the ECM from my 96 to a 97 or a 98, then connecting a Power Commander for better tuning, wondering whats envolved,

how easy is it?

what should a newer ecm cost?

is there other parts needed other than the ecm?

Old 06-01-2009 | 12:51 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Default ???

I've seen the ads and some posts here by J at Moto so must be a reason LOL... but why change the ECM from a 96 to 97/98? Is the 96 somehow incompatible with the PC? In any case, ECM is will run about $189 if memory serves me right and no other parts required. PC tuning is either easy or difficult depending on your level of experience. I'm not that familiar with PC's [prefer SERT but is not available for 96 RK] but may require some dyno time also to verify tuning.

Old 06-01-2009 | 01:40 AM
ToWhlRidr
Advanced

I have a 96 EGC and I was thinking about changing the ECM as well. The best reason to change it (that I got) was because the 96 ECM is not programmable whereas the 97 is. And as for price, I think it was around $350, but don't quote me on that.

Old 06-01-2009 | 07:50 AM
robzuc97
Road Master

Not to give anyone a hard time but I'm still confused: I have a '97 FLSTC and the ECM is not "programmable" and does not have a "data link" for this purpose or even a scanylizer port. ECM, unlike newer bike goes bad you just replace it with another; newer TSM/TSSM ones you do have to "program" [password learn]. I would have remembered $350 cuz I had to replace my due to "bad owner re-design after a NADY alarm install" [but that was purchased in Kingman AZ] and may even be less than what I "remember". Got me curious now so I'll check the Fuel Moto website see what up...

Old 06-01-2009 | 08:21 AM
robzuc97
Road Master

E-mailed Jamie at Moto and takes about 48-hours response time so we can see waht be up. There are usu. good at reponding and may even do it here himself! I'm ready to be proven wrong as my '97 is carbbed so maybe the EFI's are different... Sorry my curiosity has hijacked the thread somewhat!

Old 06-01-2009 | 09:39 AM
phat96
|
Road Warrior

Robzuc97, with my 96, the best I can do is a revtech dfo, or other fuel managment devices that don't alow you to tune like you can with the power commander. I can't set up for maximum hp or to slow down the idle or to give it a slower lope.

Old 06-01-2009 | 03:35 PM
skooba
Cruiser

The 96 ECM in not programmable, it has a locked MAP. Once it is loaded at the factory there are no changes. No aftermarkets will effect the locked MAP. Also the 97ECM is a different size, a bit smaller in thickness if my memory serves me. Should however bolt right in the same spot. Did on my Ultra.

I had to change the 96ECM to a 97ECM to put the PC3 from fuel moto on my bike. I didn't realize when I first purchesed the PC3 that I needed to make the swap and there was no effect from the module.

Also the 97ECM is blank, there is no program what so ever in the box, you will need to have at least the stock MAP loaded, another $150. And it is best done and attached to the bike. If your PC3 dies on you and you need to unplug to go to stock to get yourself home and you don't load something it there you are screwed.

The ECM was last year $430 at the dealer 20% less on-line from Chicago Harley Davidson. You can do it it either way, but remember an ECM is an electrical part and is not returnable to Chicago. You will need a bench test statement from a local dealer to prove a defective unit before they will consider even an even exchange let alone a refund.

How I know: EXPERIENCE

Old 06-01-2009 | 05:29 PM
phat96
|
Road Warrior

Thanks scooba, personal experience what was I was looking for. Were you happy with the results or should things have been left alone or stock ?

Old 06-01-2009 | 06:14 PM
robzuc97
Road Master

Here's the reply from Fuel Moto:

"There were different ECM strategies between these years and to use the PC you must use the later ECM.
Thank you.........Jamie
Fuel Moto will be moving to our new location June 4th & 5th. For more info please visit http://fuelmotousa.com/move.htm"

Sorry to hijack ya but curiousity got the best of me!

Old 06-01-2009 | 09:26 PM
skooba
Cruiser

Phat,

I ended up pulling the PC3 and going to a stock Stage 1 HD MAP, SE Air Cleaner and Stock HD Performance Tour Mufflers. The bike run's like a bear, good solid pull to redline. 5000 miles since the change over to the 97ECM. Good soild performance, no popping, pinging or tempermental crap. I get 47-50 mpg all day long. Couldn't be happier, won't touch it again, unless in breaks. The PC3 is in is orginal box on the shelf in the garage.

Skooba

Last edited by skooba; 06-01-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone changed out the ECM, mine 96 RK - efi