EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Upper end Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:19 PM
bikerdan128
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down Upper end Ticking

I have an 85 FLHTC. This is my first evo. It has about 40000 miles on it. I just rode it on a 500 mile round trip. On the way home it started to tick/clack at 4000 RPM or about 80 Mph. If I backed it off to 3500 rpm the noise stopped. By the time I got close to home I couldn't get over 3200 rpm without hearing the noise. The bike has the same power it always had and the oil pressure stayed the same. It starts right up. Does this mean I need to have the heads done? Or is there something I can do without tearing it apart? I've always had shovelheads so I am new to the whole evo thing. If that noise was coming out of my shovel I would get the heads done but I don't have the cash for that right now so looking for a cheap fix. any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:26 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerdan128
I have an 85 FLHTC. This is my first evo. It has about 40000 miles on it. I just rode it on a 500 mile round trip. On the way home it started to tick/clack at 4000 RPM or about 80 Mph. If I backed it off to 3500 rpm the noise stopped. By the time I got close to home I couldn't get over 3200 rpm without hearing the noise. The bike has the same power it always had and the oil pressure stayed the same. It starts right up. Does this mean I need to have the heads done? Or is there something I can do without tearing it apart? I've always had shovelheads so I am new to the whole evo thing. If that noise was coming out of my shovel I would get the heads done but I don't have the cash for that right now so looking for a cheap fix. any help would be appreciated.
Could be a little scoring of the cylinder wall, and/or one of your valve seats has hammerd to the point the contact area of the valve has widened well beyond limits. I've seen a lot of both, but most often it is the valve seat.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:43 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,449 Likes on 5,034 Posts

You could have a lifter going bad, the early evo lifters have a history of failures. They will fail at the roller, which can cause serious damage.

40,000 miles is a good amount of miles for the “A” design lifters.

I recommend you pull the lifters out and toss them into the scrap pile, and buy a set of lifters from Harley.

The Harley lifters were upgraded in the mid `90s and are excellent.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:30 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
You could have a lifter going bad, the early evo lifters have a history of failures. They will fail at the roller, which can cause serious damage.

40,000 miles is a good amount of miles for the “A” design lifters.

I recommend you pull the lifters out and toss them into the scrap pile, and buy a set of lifters from Harley.

The Harley lifters were upgraded in the mid `90s and are excellent.
Good point Dan.

I started typing and totally forgot the year/mileage posted.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:50 AM
bikerdan128
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks fellas, I will try the lifters first . Hopefully that will get me through the summer.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Red98RoadKing
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Well I feel your pain. I've had a lot of help here but I'm about ready to get another engine. I've replaced the lifters, pushrods, rocker arm, checked side play in the rocker stand, instaled heavier oil pump spring, tried different weight oils upto 70 wt and still no fix. It will be quiet until it warms up then ticks like it has not enough oil pressure to keep the lifter pumped up. I've cleaned the oil passage screen the lifter block doesn't look worn.it has the noise coming from the front head and right at the exhaust rocker. AAAArrrrgggg!

Old 05-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,449 Likes on 5,034 Posts

Red, you could be hearing clatter from excessive gear lash between the cam gear and the pinion gear. It can be caused by incorrectly matched gears, or by a worn bushing in the cam cover. It sounds just like a clattering lifter,and gets worse when the engine gets hot.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 05-26-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:57 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Red98RoadKing
Well I feel your pain. I've had a lot of help here but I'm about ready to get another engine. I've replaced the lifters, pushrods, rocker arm, checked side play in the rocker stand, instaled heavier oil pump spring, tried different weight oils upto 70 wt and still no fix. It will be quiet until it warms up then ticks like it has not enough oil pressure to keep the lifter pumped up. I've cleaned the oil passage screen the lifter block doesn't look worn.it has the noise coming from the front head and right at the exhaust rocker. AAAArrrrgggg!

Relative question, since we're all in the same boat....

Do you hear the same noise between the jugs, near the bases?

My story sounded much like yours, but I recently noticed that the noise is not quite as isolated as I thought.. Seems to migrate everywhere..

Old 05-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Red98RoadKing
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HGM
Relative question, since we're all in the same boat....

Do you hear the same noise between the jugs, near the bases?

My story sounded much like yours, but I recently noticed that the noise is not quite as isolated as I thought.. Seems to migrate everywhere..
No just the top end at the front exhaust area, it is getting worse and it looks like I'm down to the valve seats need redone like I was warned of here before, I just can't get my head around that causing the noise but its about all thats left.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:30 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Red98RoadKing
No just the top end at the front exhaust area, it is getting worse and it looks like I'm down to the valve seats need redone like I was warned of here before, I just can't get my head around that causing the noise but its about all thats left.
If you are referring to something I've written... trust me, that's your noise. I've spent many thousands and too much time chasing that exact noise on mine for 15 years and 80,000+ miles by going around the actual problem, rather than fixing it.

Word of advice - whether out of ignorance or greed many, if not most high-performance/race type machine bike shops WILL work around the issues, rather than addressing the actual problem, charging for "upgrades" with increased performance claims, yet still not take care of what was initially wrong - right Greg?

So, I've been teetering on this decision for a long time, mainly financial reasons, but have decided to "tool up" and start taking care of heads like they should be, without charging HD machine service or big fancy "race" shop prices. No Terry, I'm not advertising anything except my disgust with seeing SO many guys with rattling engines who spend big bucks for butcher jobs and still having a rattling engine when the dust settles.

It'll take me a couple months, but y'all get back to me....

Quick Reply: Upper end Ticking