EVO All Evo Model Discussion

120 ultima installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 06:02 PM
lowglide88
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up 120 ultima installed

Well guys....I have finally started up my 120' Ultima...sounds great...running hooker step-tuned exhaust...engine runs smooth..I was concerned about the engine hitting the frame,even after modifying the front engine mount,but its not an issue the engine barely moves..could not take it out for a ride the weather has been crummy..everything seems fine with the engine..I did notice on the rear cylinder in the area where the head/cylinder meet(gasket) a slight film of oil on the cylinder fin..I noticed this even before I started the engine..during the install..wipe it away..it would come back..I figured it was oil from assembly...prime the engine with oil, noticed it then too...started it up..it was still there..not alot.. but i noticed it..after the third time I started it up and it seemed to have stopped...I'm hoping after I actually getting the engine up to full operating temp and take it for ride it will be fine..thinking that once everything gets fully heated up it will fully seal being its a completely new engine...am I guessing right or wishful thinking?...anybody else experience anything like this with an Ultima engine?

Old 05-05-2009, 06:19 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

New gaskets can "weep" most of the time they stop, sometimes they don't. As the rings seat and you have les blowby the problem should go away.Thats why you need to follow the break-in procedures and do all the heat cycles. Also let the engine warm up fully before riding it hard or you will have gasket leaks. The engine still has a crankcase ventilation system designed for an eighty cubic inch engine. We usually add an aditional breather line to the upper vent line that goes from the crankcase to the oil tank. This also helpsprevent the dipstick from popping out when you really hammer it. Hope this helps,ride safe, take your time getting to know your "new" bike and don't forget to upgrade the brakes!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 07:32 PM
lowglide88
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey John...I was hopin' you would read this...thanx for the reply...I ran the engine through the suggested 2-2min cycles for initial start-up and had some high speed fans blowing over the engine as suggested...I will keep that in mind about the breather..like I said weather had been rainy so i haven't had it out for ride yet...any other suggestions when i take it out for that initial ride?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:26 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just keep the urge to get on it down until you get aout 500-1,000 miles on it, short rides with low loads on the engine,. don't lug it or buzz it, let it warm up before you take it to speed. Change the oil and filter after 50 miles and again at 150 miles. Oil is cheap engine parts aren't. Do you have an oil cooler?? We are getting ready to try some different oil in ours, I will let you know if it works. We had the original '95 charging system die so we replaced it with a 40 amp three phase compufire set up. A coulpe of our customers asked about them so we thought we would try one for evaluation purposes. It looks like a quality piece and charges great so far.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:16 AM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I am glad the front motor mount mod worked for you. these things pull like a truck its hard to hold on and I havnt even went above 4500 yet (no need) I used 20/50 penzoil reg oil. untill break in then Mobil1 20/50 for cars 22 bucks for 5 qts walmart. If you read formula is same as the mobile 1 for v twins

Old 05-06-2009, 10:38 AM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish you the best of luck with your new screamer. My experience with the 120" Ultima has not been great. I went through all of the suggested break-in warmups, cool-downs, no jumping on it, change the oil and filter early and often, no lugging, even got a tach to be sure. At about 5,000 it munched a front lifter (I'm not a mechanic so I'm sorry to say that I can't tell you much more than that), and stranded me in Bumf-ck, Idaho.

Midwest, although very personable and friendly, accepted the engine in Missouri and re-built it, but wouldn't pay for the removal and install by a certified shop. (I understand that's normal but it sure as hell didn't make my day to find that out.) My dyno results after tuning while on the dyno are about 108 hp and 127 ftlbs torque. Just my experience and I hope yours turns out much better than mine - if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't.