EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Why did HD build a motor to leak oil all over the place ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:58 AM
98 roadglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why did HD build a motor to leak oil all over the place ?

Last year i purchased a 98 roadglide with 41.500 miles on it, all my hd buddies told me to buy an evo motor, so i listened. The crank case breather was hanging down and breathing oil on the ground. it had a screaming eagle air cleaner, i had the top end rebuilt last year new pistons,rings,5000 over on the cylinders,new cam,the stock air cleaner put back on. now it leaks/breathes oil all over the side of the motor. why would a company engineer a motor to do this. Had i have known this i would have bought a twin cam, but i hear they also have problems.bearings ? I am almost ready to buy a gold wing. any imput would be great, as for the engine.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:48 AM
skullhead
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine is a 96 with 40k miles and it hardly bleeds any oil. Not sure why yours is puking so much. Maybe brighter minds than me can point you in the right direction.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:00 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Take the rocker box cover off, then remove the intermediate rocker box. Next to the umbrela valve is a 1/16" hole, drill it out to 1/8". This will help with oil coming out of the breather. If the engine was rebuilt, and the ring gap is too large you will get a lot of blow by and that will cause the same problem. Have someone do a leaksown test on the engine. With the little time on it since the rebuild you should have less than 10% leakdown. Any more and you start getting the problems you are describeing. Hope this helps.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:08 AM
brwdarr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 90 tour glide and it doesn't leak at all. well maybe a little. I can wipe the bottom of the eng/trans and have a little bit of oil on my hand, but it is not enough to drip. I always thought this was a trade mark of a harley. your leaks seams more serious though. a goldwing has it's share of problems also. front tire cupping among other things. I would try to find the source of the leak and fix it. I also belive the evo is the best eng. harley ever built. I wouldn't give up on her yet.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:33 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The very reason so many bros.get into their bikes learning how to tweak them.For years with the total loss systems it was a right of passage.Leaving their mark.you can stop all the leaks Harley does not design their bikes that way anymore.Never forget they are still machines subject to things like that.It is all about proper maintainance.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:38 PM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure you have an evo oil filter and not a twin cam oil filter and you can keep the oil level about half - 3/4 full in the tank which may help.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

All pre-twin cam engines dripped a little.

I guess they took the fun out of it.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Now I have no idea what the deal is, but last year I had oil leak down all over the side of my motor. This winter I took out the stock cam and had an EV27 put in with new lifters. NO umbrella valve from S&S was put in. Had her put on the dyno.1000 miles of running relatively hard and guess what? No more oil leakage! I didn't touch the top end either. Go figure!

Old 05-06-2009, 02:06 AM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

If my oil bag/tank is a hair over the fill line it pukes out the oil. Evo's dont leak unless something is amiss. "marks its spot" is from the chain bleeders for the shovel, a tiney hole made to leak oil onto the chain to keep it oiled up.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:32 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Al Gore and his people are coming over to see you and it's not for dinner ! When I first got my EVO I would pour alittle oil under the bike so the rest of my old stock (knuckles/pans ) wouldn't feel bad !

Quick Reply: Why did HD build a motor to leak oil all over the place ?