EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Why did HD build a motor to leak oil all over the place ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 roadglide
Ok, no bodys EVO leaks or breathes oil out of a stock air cleaner ? I find that hard to beleive. I stopped at my local HD store and spoke to 4 differant mechanics and they all told me they will leak a bit. My local indy guy who did the work told me yep it will leak/breathe out the stock cleaner. So he suggested to leave the S.E. air cleaner on and let the cc tube hang and drip on the ground. I disagreed so it went back to a stock air cleaner. My buddies 94 and 95 Evo drip a bit out of the stock air cleaner,no where near as much as mine. Its really starting to **** me off i pay and pay and no one does the work correctly. Other than a andrews ev27 cam its stock. runs great and drives great. It just leaks. So i learning its a normal thing. or i got a rat !!! I am done spending money on something that won't go away.

Yep I heard all of this before when I got my 90 EVO. One day I had enough and started doing some research and wrenching. Bike doesn't leak any oil now. The reason why is because I listen to guys like Hackd and HGM. Guys like them know these motors like the back of their hands. My Indy guy is a good wrencher, but he accepts the status quo, I dont. You can give up and buy a goldwing, but don't think for a second that they don't have issues.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:22 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyguy5571
Yep I heard all of this before when I got my 90 EVO. One day I had enough and started doing some research and wrenching. Bike doesn't leak any oil now. The reason why is because I listen to guys like Hackd and HGM. Guys like them know these motors like the back of their hands. My Indy guy is a good wrencher, but he accepts the status quo, I dont. You can give up and buy a goldwing, but don't think for a second that they don't have issues.
Nice words there, but I'm just a car guy trying to figure this stuff out too. Its not rocket science. This is a great forum with some excelent guys more than willing to help.. I honestly believe HD makes a fine product and could not immagine riding anything else. Remember the old saying, if its got breasts or wheels, its gonna give you trouble at some point..

Old 05-08-2009, 09:36 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by HGM
Nice words there, but I'm just a car guy trying to figure this stuff out too. Its not rocket science. This is a great forum with some excelent guys more than willing to help.. I honestly believe HD makes a fine product and could not immagine riding anything else. Remember the old saying, if its got breasts or wheels, its gonna give you trouble at some point..

Good one!! I just think its funny how can go to a shop and guys will tell you that it’s normal or no big deal. I almost get the feeling that some of them only want to do certain kinds of work. The one thing that I noticed is that it is always better to talk to guys that have been there and done that.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:10 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I couldn't imagine riding anything other than H/D. Once I got mine and rode it for awhile it grew on me, and nothing else will do.

So, basically, if you don't "get it", then.....bye.

~Joe

Old 05-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyguy5571
The reason why is because I listen to guys like Hackd and HGM.
Appreciate the kind words, but in reality: I just have a very expensive education courtesy of my Harley and dealing with both dealerships and indys. I don't claim to know anything or everything, however, I can truthfully say I've 'been there' on a number of things.

To the OP: Don't give up. Like I wrote, I had a leaking rockerbox issue that lasted for THREE years. I had them resealed a total of seven times (Two HD dealers, twice at the indy that did the top end, and three times by myself). Guess what? Those brand new (aftermarket) chrome rocker boxes were warped. $700 later (New OEM HD), and I haven't had a drip of oil since.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:24 PM
98 roadglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am not jumping ship yet !!!

As we all know,dealing with indy guys and dealers and spending lots of money and not getting any where gets real old fast. I guess i am running out of ideas who to fix this problem correctly. The dealer has no idea,the indy has no idea. Whats next ? You guys here on the board have been great. Although i am better at blowing chit up, rather than fixing it. Who do i turn to now? I would love to keep this bike !!!!! Its the best riding and handling bike i have ever owned, it could use more power,another story all together. Any ideas of who to have look at it ? I live in northern IL,but i could certainly ride any where to have it looked at. Thanks John

Old 05-09-2009, 12:50 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Start at the bottom and go up,almost all of the problem's you're talking about I've had.Buy a new spring for the check ball in the oil pump,then like hak told you check the timing on the breather gear,if in doubt buy a new one.If mine sit's for a week or two it will puke oil all over the place,but knowing this I disconnect the hose going to the air box and run it into a jar or can then pour the recovered oil back into the tank.That's only if it's more than a couple tablespoons,that I just pour on weed's.Little thing's,all the little thing's you've seen on here add up,small amount of money and time and you can be leak free.You probly know this already but I'll mention it, a small amount on a garage floor looks like you just lost the bottom end,amazing is'nt it.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Another 2 things to spend money on: Factory Service Manual and Factory Parts Manual. Amazingly enough, my 93 FSM has a really good description of the oiling system on the EVO.

Here's a thread: http://www.*****************/forums/ev...breathers.html Bottom line? Missing umbrella valves.

Another question: Does it leak the worse after a hard run? Say 80mph then you shut it down shortly after?

EDIT: Here's an aftermarket part: https://www.johnsmotorcycleparts.com...products_id=33

Last edited by Hackd; 05-09-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by sqdealgeorge
Hackd I thought HD only made 1 93 FLHS I have never seen any for sale or never seen anyone ever ask about these bikes !
I should've gotten mine in the Mandarin Orange color (too many black HD's out there).....

Old 05-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go buy your gold wing then

Quick Reply: Why did HD build a motor to leak oil all over the place ?