EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Is this a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009 | 08:33 PM
fastjoe
|
Road Warrior
Default Is this a problem?

I have a 95 Dyna Wide Glide. I had new tires put on my bike three weeks or so ago. I should know by now from previous experience to inspect my bike closely right after letting someone else put their hands on it. But, I didn't, and I just noticed this today. There's a gap between what I'm assuming, by looking at my service manuel, is the right oil seal and the fork leg. I don't remember it being there before they removed the wheels and put the new tires on. I'm wondering if they didn't put the spacers back in right, or left one out. Please help.

Right side, with the gap.

Left side, no gap

I don't have a mc jack to put the bike up on to check side to side movement. Just turning the forks back and forth with the tire on the ground I don't see any movement of the wheel on the axle shaft. Still this just doesn't look right to me. I know the pictures are not the best.

Old 04-21-2009 | 10:03 PM
mustasz
Tourer

you don't feel any movement on the axel,because I think caliper holds the wheel.
I would remove it & make sure that there are corect spacers.

Old 04-21-2009 | 10:22 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior

I can't comment on your specific front end, but many front ends are set up that way. If the left side bolt draws the axle (and wheel) tight, and the axle itself runs straight through the right leg and seats up tight against that right side spacer, then your OK. The gap is there so the right side leg can be relaxed when you tighten the pinch bolts on the underside instead of having the possibility of being flexed outward trying to get the wheel and spacers in between the legs, or drawn in while tightening the axle.

Old 04-21-2009 | 11:30 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior

fastjoe,
I'm thinkin' that spacer is up against a step on the axle. I would start at the beginning like you just put the wheel on the bike and loosen the nuts that hold the axle cap tight to the lower leg on the right side (I am not talking about your fancy cap covering the right side end of the axle, I mean the nuts on the bottom of the right leg) and loosen the axle nut on the left side then move the wheel and axle over until the spacer is up against the lower leg on the right side. Tighten the nuts for the right lower leg/axle cap and then torque the axle nut on the left side. That will get rid of the gap and should properly center the wheel in the front end. With the proper spacer on the left side, the disc should be centered in the caliper.
My apologies if what I am trying to write doesn't make sense, I gotta get some sleep. Good luck man.

Last edited by megawatt; 04-21-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2009 | 02:35 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by megawatt
...With the proper spacer on the left side, the disc should be centered in the caliper...
You mean...with the proper spacer on the left side, the wheel should be centered between the forks. The caliper will float (within reason) and center itself on the disc. The gap is common on the axle pinch clamp side of many front ends.

Old 04-22-2009 | 03:51 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

I went downstairs to the garage to check... '99 Softail Fatboy here... both spacers are almost the same width, but contrary to your pics, my right spacer is a bit narrower than the left one, but this is softail. Be sure to have that checked if there is doubt or any strange noises/movements... safety first.

Mimo.

Old 04-22-2009 | 06:10 PM
fastjoe
|
Road Warrior

Thanks for your help guys. What bothers me the most about this is, I think I would have noticed that gap if it was there before. I could be wrong but I'm convinced they didn't put the spacers in right or put the wrong ones back in.

I don't know if the wheel was centered perfectly in the forks before, but it definately isn't now. It is much closer to the inside left of the fender than it is the inside right. Taking for granted that the fender could be off (don't think it is). I measured from the fork legs themselves to the middle of the wheel. The wheel is definately not centered in the fork legs.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I should try to fix this myself, or take it to another shop. The manuel says I need a magnetic base dial indicator to check end play, which I don't have. So it's either by an expensive tool, and hope I can do it myself with the help of the service manual, or take my chances with another repair shop.

By the way, if any of you have the time, could you check and see if your wheel and tire are centered in your front fender? I would really appreciate it.

Old 04-22-2009 | 06:19 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

Forget it... still thinking about it, got the wrong impression from the very beginning.

Mimo.

Old 04-22-2009 | 06:22 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior

mntlvr,
Yeah, I'm sure you are right. I was thinking non-floating caliper like my setup. For me it would accomplish centering wheel and the brake rotor. I went back and reread my post and in the sentence before my erroneous comment I did also say it would center the wheel in the front end.
On the right side, I'll have to take your word for the gap being common. It would bug me but it would not be good to have the lower leg binding because of forced alignment.
fastjoe,
Any luck with it? Have you smacked into something with the front end that would cause the forks to tweak a bit and not be parallel to one another?

Old 04-22-2009 | 06:26 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

Closer look on my bike, no gap at all. Yes, my fender/wheel/tire are perfectly aligned among them and with the forks too.

Mimo.

Quick Reply: Is this a problem?