EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Is this a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009 | 11:54 AM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member

I still think the axle spacers may be on reversed. If you can get a half-way decent measurement, with even a ruler and eyeball, measure the right and left spacers, subtract the difference and see if that's about how far off your tire looks.... As your bike is a 95 the old spacers would be reversed to what the 2000 and up bikes. Thunderstar wheels came out after 2000 (maybe 2003 or so)
Pull the wheel off, put the shorter spacer on the left, longer on the right, and check: 1. brake caliper should be centered over disc, 2. wheel should be centered, or close. (measure from fender mounts to valve stem for a quick check)

Hope things line up for you.

Last edited by schwangster; 05-17-2009 at 12:15 AM. Reason: what was I saying??
Old 04-23-2009 | 09:05 PM
fastjoe
|
Road Warrior
Default I think I got it fixed.

First off let me thank all of you that answered this thread, especially those who went through the trouble of checking their own bikes, taking pictures, and even drawing my dumb azz a diagramn .

Mtnlvr, you were right about the gap being normal. There is a stepped section on the axle that the right side spacer goes up against. Also your diagramn was much more helpful than the ones in the service manual. Turns out what I first assumed were the spacers, were indeed the spacers.

I think the shop that put on my tires did swap the spacers around the wrong way. When I pulled the tire off this evening, they had the longer spacer on the right side, and the shorter spacer on the left (brake) side. I swapped them around and right away I could see a difference. The wheel is now very close to being centered between the fork legs. It's only 1/16 off measuring from the center of the rim to the fender mounts. I would think that's acceptable.

Old 04-23-2009 | 10:25 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member

Yessss! That is a beer-worthy repair.

Sweet paint, by the way.

Old 04-23-2009 | 10:55 PM
fastjoe
|
Road Warrior

Thanks Schwangster! It does still look pretty good for a 14 year old paint job. I may be changing it soon though. I picked up a full set of tins off Ebay recently. The guy that had them for auction had removed them when his 95 Wide Glide was only a few years old and put on a custom painted set. He's had his stock tins in boxes in the garage for all this time and decided to finnaly sell them. I won the auction and just got them in yesterday. They are solid black with the same red pin stripe that seperates the yellow and black on mine.

Last edited by fastjoe; 04-23-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2009 | 01:43 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member

Just gotta keep the Wide Glide alive!
Pics when you are done, please.

Old 04-24-2009 | 04:48 PM
fastjoe
|
Road Warrior

You bet ya, and thanks again everyone.

Old 04-24-2009 | 05:08 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member

Just a note-
If you ever want to go with chrome sliders up front, the 2000+ will fit right on, and then you can upgrade to the newer 00+ brakes too.(ebay, cheap)

Old 04-24-2009 | 05:52 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior

It's always nice when a fix is free! Centered within 1/16" is just fine.

Old 04-24-2009 | 08:13 PM
fastjoe
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by schwangster
Just a note-
If you ever want to go with chrome sliders up front, the 2000+ will fit right on, and then you can upgrade to the newer 00+ brakes too.(ebay, cheap)
That is definately good to know, what about the rear 2000+ brakes, will they fit on my bike?

Old 04-24-2009 | 10:10 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by fastjoe
That is definately good to know, what about the rear 2000+ brakes, will they fit on my bike?
No they won't. Need to put on an 00+ swingarm, which fits right on. (also cheap on ebay for non-chrome take-off) I even used all the old bearing and bushings!

OR buy a wide tire kit with a swingarm, and go up to a 180-200, or more, rear tire. This has the right stop for the newer brakes. My next year's project...maybe. (shhhhh, wife might hear)

The upgrades were well worth the work, for the brakes and for the looks. I have pictures on the forum somewhere, or can PM you.

Quick Reply: Is this a problem?