EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Evo CD Player

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:55 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Evo CD Player

The tape player in my 20 year old factory radio died suddenly late last year. I can't listen to radio; the commercials are enough to drive me crazy and the music for the most part sucks.

I contacted Biketronics last fall and spoke to them about their Retro Radio kit. I didn't actually order the thing until my bonus came through last month. Yesterday it was raining all day here; a perfect afternoon to do the install.

I got the old factory radio out without much trouble, and then followed the instructions for the install. Have to say that it went even easier than the instructions said it would. The Biketronics harness matched up perfectly with the stock plugs, and the new speakers fit with no modification whatsoever. The stock handlebar controls work perfectly, as advertised. It looked and sounded great sitting in the garage.

It's still raining today so I haven't heard it on the road yet, but it sounds way better than the original radio just sitting in the garage. Bottom line: The Biketronics Retro Radio kit included everything needed, was relatively easy to install, fit my '89 Ultra perfectly and sounds great.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:07 PM
paco
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rivercity slim,

sounds good. i need a radio for my 95 ultra, would you post a picture of the fitted radio ?

later.......

Old 03-30-2009, 03:11 PM
IDIDNTDOIT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the Touring section there is a sticky at the top with a step by step with photos, they make nice stuff, plug-play.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:35 PM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Biketronics retro radio kit our '90 Ultra for a couple years now and really pleased as well. I added the iPod controller for the older Sony radio we are using and cords are just long enough that it sits under the seat and the iPod can stay in the tourpak. The only downside with the Sony iPod controller is it resets every time the radio loses power and doesn't go back to where it stopped so I have to select the playlist and hit shuffle each time. I also changed the front speakers to (2 ohm) 4" Infinity Kappas which increased the volume.

Although I don't use it much I keep part of a marine radio cover to cover the radio if it is out in the rain

Last edited by pajoe; 03-30-2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: add picture?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:23 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by paco
rivercity slim,

sounds good. i need a radio for my 95 ultra, would you post a picture of the fitted radio ?

later.......
Paco,
We have the biketronics with the sony 520 in our '95. It went in easy, plug and play basically. All the controls, plus automatic volume control work like stock. I think you might like it. There are lots of choices as far as radios go, we went with a basic one as the bike is our "shop" bike.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:07 AM
paco
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all for the heads up on the radio kit. I finally found the sticky. I will put that on the burner for later. still trying to fire the 107" on the 95 ultra frame. think i need a starter first.

later........

Old 04-02-2009, 06:28 PM
ToWhlRidr
Advanced

I just put a new Sony radio into my 96 EGC. It works great. Very easy installation short of the problem with the 1 amp fuse. Had to replace it with a 5 amp. Also turned off the auto volume control. Adjusting way too much. I will have to play with it and get the right setting. Also I want to design a lift up cover for it.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:09 PM
CurlMan
Intermediate
Default Radio upgrade cost

What exactly do I need to buy to just upgrade the radio with a plug and play and what is the cost??
Thanks for the info.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:40 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Biketronics

Originally Posted by CurlMan
What exactly do I need to buy to just upgrade the radio with a plug and play and what is the cost??
Thanks for the info.
If you go with Biketronics, the kit includes everything you need - the harness plug-in, the mounting hardware and a new Sony CD/radio. I also replaced the stock speakers (highly recommended). My total cost was around $500. Not cheap, but as you read above, it all fit and worked perfectly. Well worth it IMHO.

Here's a link to their touring bike stuff: http://www.biketronics.com/touring.html#RRPackages