EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Cam inspection help

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:58 PM
abearcarver
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam inspection help

Last fall i was told my noisy engine was a primary chain ..
(I totally replaced all primary the winter)
Now I was told my noisey engine might be the cam bearing ?
I got the cover off for inspection but need sombody to tell me what
i have in there for cam and what i need to do to tell if the bearing is bad.

Im including some pictures in attachment here and a video link ..

video here http://www.youtube.com/user/OpryStation

Attached Thumbnails Cam inspection help-cam-project-001.jpg   Cam inspection help-cam-project-003.jpg   Cam inspection help-cam-project-002.jpg  
Old 03-14-2009, 02:42 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

One thing I would check at this point is the rollers on the lifters. Had one go bad and wipe out the cam gears and send shrapnel thru the motor. If you don;t know hold old they are I would replace them. If you have adjustable rods you more then likely have a aftermarket cam also.probably a ev-27 .,,,,

Old 03-14-2009, 03:05 PM
abearcarver
Cruiser
Default the adjustable rods

How come the adjustable rods dont get short enought to take out of the lifter boxes ? Least I did remember to line the dots on the gears up before taking cam out .. Lol .. .. Cam looks great and all the gears look great. I did notice the wheel on the farthest back lifter wobbels` a tiny bit .. but they all seem to move back and forth a little .. are they supposed to ?

sorry for the beginner questions .. im a beginner` ..

Old 03-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,083 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Man you need to stop listening to eveyone...Get yourself a piece of fuel line sized rubber hose about 3ft long. Start the engine. Stick one end in your ear and use the other end like a stethoscope to locate the exact location of the offending noise. Then start tearing things apart...Of course unless you just like taking your engine apart. And that is OK, but gets kind of expensive and doesn't leave much time for riding.

The push rods should come out. Make sure that the lifters are on their lowest point on the cam lobes....might have to jiggle them around a little to get them out, make sure the lifters have fallen down onto the cam. Push the pushrods down move them over a little to unseat them from the rocker arms, then raise them up into the valve area making sure they don't re-seat in the rocker arms and they should come out. Maybe!!! Good luck. Don't force them...

I know this is a clear as mud but give it a try...Good luck

Oh yea! Don't forget to mark them to make sure they go back in their orginal places.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:38 AM
abearcarver
Cruiser
Default got the waggon in front of the horse so to speak

Trouble im having is my friggin` manual is coming via ****ing Camel ..
I bought one off ebay two weeks ago from a "big wig` parts dealer but i think they got to many Chiefs and not enough Indians running their ebay sales dept..
I got the itch to get this darn machine fixed.
I have done the ear trick and found the primary was a problem
as the clutch rear bearing was bad. I replaced the entire primary
with the help of this forum.. Now the engine noise that still there is
what you hear in the video and it on the RT side of the engine. With all of the Cam talk on this forum i found that it is very likely to be the Cam bearing as that goes bad quite often with oem bearing.
Well anyhow, i got the cam out and it looks like an after market as it has a spacer washer behind it and the original spacer with the "wings" on it.
I have no idea what the cam is so i put a picture on here showing the cam and numbers. (I hope somebody can figure out what it is for me)..
I think im going to keep the cam and gear and replace lifters, lifter boxes, push rods and gaskets .. I not sure of the best place to buy the complete package though .. Once i got all of the parts and get my manual i should be ok. Im still learning as i have not done this before.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:20 PM
bigtone
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First you, your push rods may not be the removable type, so that may be why they wont come out. As far as the cam bearing, if you are in there, just change it out. It's a 3 dollar bearing. Make sure you get the older style, made by Timken. The new Harley replacement is made by INA, avoid that one. Put a new set of lifters in it. Sometimes the rollers feel ok, but they still can act up when the engine is running. I've seen that happen. Make sure you get your cam spacers right also.

Attached Thumbnails Cam inspection help-bothbikes.jpg  
Old 03-15-2009, 03:31 PM
abearcarver
Cruiser
Default I found the problem !

Had a bad lifter .. Very bad one ..
I added it to my videos ... Whew` that makes me happy . !
Now I`ll buy a kit and install everything new ..

Thanks everybody

Old 03-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,411 Likes on 5,011 Posts

Delete

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 03-15-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Double Posted
Old 03-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,411 Likes on 5,011 Posts

Just watched the video and saw you found a bad lifter...Hopefully you found it in time...

Inspect the lifters carefully for missing needle bearings on the roller assemblies,there appears to be a lot of slop in that bad lifter.

If you don`t have timesaver type pushrods you are going to have to remove the rocker covers to get the pushrods out.

I don`t recommend going to aftermarket lifters, the units from Harley are very good.

Good luck

-Dan

Old 03-15-2009, 05:17 PM
abearcarver
Cruiser

I guess i already have the adjustable rods .. I got them out after taking off the lifter/tappet guide .. Now i find out i need a special puller the the dam cam bearing.
Then i need another tool to install the cam bearing.. Its a $10 bearing and it takes $150 in tools to replace it..

Anybody out there make a tool for this cam bearing removal and install?
Christ sake, its going to cost me as much for tools as it is for the cam and cam install kit.

Quick Reply: Cam inspection help