EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Maxxis tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Maxxis tires?

I need tires on the wideglide. I cannot believe how much tires have gone up in price! I usually go with Dunlop (never had one fail yet) however I was considering saving some cash.(although I dont want to sacrifice safety!) Maxxis tires are considerably cheaper than Dunlops. Anyone have experience with 'em?
Also,shopping around for a good supplier-where can I find the best price? Any info would be appreciated-Thanks!

Old 03-14-2009, 04:35 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I heard a story of a local rider that had really cheap tires, , possibly, Cheng Shin . According to the story,something happened, and even though the tire no longer had air, the stiff sidewalls held him up well enough that he could get safely off the road.

The Maxxis look interesting too, but I think the cheaper classics have been discontinued and they are only making the more expensive radial tires. Once again, it's only rumor, but I read it's better to have tires that are fresh, less than 2 years old.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:46 AM
flylock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I been running the maxxis on my dyna for several years. cant tell any difference in ride, but they dont last as long. They are about half of the price,though.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:56 AM
I8SMK4U
Tourer

They are half the price but also half the mileage. I loved the look and feel of it. They are soft so they grip but in mountain riding (where I live) I onnly got 3000 out of the rear. I put a Dunlop MT90 on now and I did notice that the Maxxis tire run fatter on the sidewall making it wider. Same size but mor finger space in between the fender with the dunlop.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:57 AM
hardluk1
Road Master

Go to your area independent shops and even your jap bike shops ,anywhere but the big hd store and price. Do look at dunlops Elit 3 tires . I am on my second set and untill someone makes a better tire this is what i will be running. I have them now on a fxr before on a e-glide 7000 on that tire when sold it and good tread left. Price was lower from a small local shop mounted and balanced on a computer balancer. I just drop off my wheels.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:11 PM
legacycycles
Oops

There is only 1 thing between youre A#@ and the road,Dont cheap out.
20,000.00 motorcycle,10.00 tires, 50,000.00 in medical expenses.....priceless.
In all seriousness,find a local independent shop.I sell all my tires at cost plus 10.
H-D 402 Dunlop 21in front:93.48
H-D 401 Dunlop 130/16 Rear:111.21
These are the factory dunlops with hd printed in the side wall.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:44 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I use my local Yamaha dealer for my Harley and Buell tyres! They are close by and better prices than the more distant Harley dealer. I prefer Avons and have just had them fit a new wider 140/90x16 rear Venom. I want reasonable mileage, but good grip, especially in the wet.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:30 AM
capnez
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pajoe
I heard a story of a local rider that had really cheap tires, , possibly, Cheng Shin . According to the story,something happened, and even though the tire no longer had air, the stiff sidewalls held him up well enough that he could get safely off the road.

The Maxxis look interesting too, but I think the cheaper classics have been discontinued and they are only making the more expensive radial tires. Once again, it's only rumor, but I read it's better to have tires that are fresh, less than 2 years old.
maxxis and Cheng Shin are same people think name change like datsun to nissan

Old 05-19-2009, 01:56 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried them-- once was enough. Slippery in the wet, and would have lasted 1/2 as long but I pulled them off early. Never again..

Old 05-20-2009, 08:19 PM
98 FLHX
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My thoughts on this are quite simple...

You only have 2 tires between your a$$ and the pavement.

With that being said, they better be right, or that's where

your a$$ will wind up.

I've run Avon tyres for years...good mileage, great traction,

wet or dry....

When it comes to a decision like this....it's really no decision, to me anyway....

Quick Reply: Maxxis tires?