EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Enclosed Chain conversion update.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:36 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just picked up a new seal that goes around the sprocket. time to repaint the housing and put it back together leak free this winter. Thought about converting to belt but the enclosed oil bath has served me well for 111k miles, no need to throw money at something that aint broke.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:23 PM
dirtyharryfxrt
Road Captain

What happened to this topic, i'm still bitting my nails?! How did the conversion turn out?

Old 01-31-2014, 03:18 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,843 Likes on 3,014 Posts

well he's lost its also a 4 year old thread

i have a 81 FLT that is a shop loaner and we looked at converting it, this is what i found having a 1981 and a belt drive 1985 FL at the same time with the same stuff apart

the inner primary is all together different - it takes a 22 tooth chain sprocket its almost 3 inches different in diameter for the bely sprocket and it does not fit in the location -- the trans main shaft is different - the rear wheel is different - that makes the brake different as its easyer to replace it than mod it - some outer primarys are the same - some of the starter stuff will exchange - makes it a wet clutch - so oil lines become different the vent mostly - in 1983 they changed the inner primary O Ring to a much larger size < this is the spot most shops bail on this idea - as the engine blocks are different in the o ring groove - SURE anything is possable if you have a wad of cash and no brain to say stop whaat am i doing --

hope that helps - i dont think he did it after all -- johnzjzj

Old 01-31-2014, 05:02 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Unhappy

OP last posted on HDF in 2010, so I doubt if we will ever know what happened!

Old 01-31-2014, 06:30 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,077 Likes on 5,816 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz

the inner primary is all together different - it takes a 22 tooth chain sprocket its almost 3 inches different in diameter for the bely sprocket and it does not fit in the location -- the trans main shaft is different - the rear wheel is different - that makes the brake different as its easyer to replace it than mod it - some outer primarys are the same - some of the starter stuff will exchange - makes it a wet clutch - so oil lines become different the vent mostly - in 1983 they changed the inner primary O Ring to a much larger size < this is the spot most shops bail on this idea - as the engine blocks are different in the o ring groove - SURE anything is possable if you have a wad of cash and no brain to say stop whaat am i doing --
I am in the middle of this conversion on an 83 FLHT...I am doing MANY other mods at the same time...so a lot of what I did is not necessary. I wanted to move the battery under the seat at the same time, so I bought the transmission, inner/outer primary, clutch,starter, compensator, and all other primary parts from a 94 touring bike. I am changing to a 200 rear tire and bought a 2006 rear brake. The only reason I needed the trans was to get one with the oil tank under the trans to move the battery. I mocked it up...pretty much a bolt in operation...and not a lot of cash with the used ebay parts.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:40 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,843 Likes on 3,014 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
I am in the middle of this conversion on an 83 FLHT...I am doing MANY other mods at the same time...so a lot of what I did is not necessary. I wanted to move the battery under the seat at the same time, so I bought the transmission, inner/outer primary, clutch,starter, compensator, and all other priemary parts from a 94 touring bike. I am changing to a 200 rear tire and bought a 2006 rear brake. The only reason I needed the trans was to get one with the oil tank under the trans to move the battery. I mocked it up...pretty much a bolt in operation...and not a lot of cash with the used ebay parts.

the original OPs bike was the same bike i have and it is not the bike YOU have - the 1980 and 81 FLTs are all by themselves with many parts only to them - look up 9116 wheel bearing and the race that doubles as the axle spacer 41118-81 - f / r wheels - all the parts do not interchange, with the later stuff that is the reason he never came back he could not do what he thought -- remember 81 ***** took the company back as AMF was making big blunders -

i look at what you are doing and Bravo young fellow - great idea great execution and it will to those who are in the know know what you have done is very special in deed -- good luck --jz

Old 02-04-2014, 11:45 AM
dirtyharryfxrt
Road Captain

I think this place has the conversion down, the kit runs $850.00 and says it comes with everything you need. My bike is a 1984 FXRT with a EVO, 5-speed and the enclosed chain. http://www.karata.com/final.htm