EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Oil Pressure Guage

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:34 AM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Guage

I'm looking for anyone that's had experience with this oil pressure guage.

I posted this in the Dyna section for some reason and haven't had much luck.

I'm wondering if anyone has any pics of this one installed on their EVO or if anyone know the diameter of the face.

Thanks.
Jeremy.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:55 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

im sure if you email them they will give you the measurements. i dont run one because, first you wont be able to see it while riding and when you do see it you might not like the readings, after all it volume not pressure on a harley, just like a porsche.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:49 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 637 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrod351
im sure if you email them they will give you the measurements. i dont run one because, first you wont be able to see it while riding and when you do see it you might not like the readings, after all it volume not pressure on a harley, just like a porsche.
i was going to say the same thing, the pressure means very little, as long as there is at least 5-6 psi there, and you won't be able to read that thing while you're riding. better off having the light by the dash...

Old 03-02-2009, 08:40 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior

It may be true that pressure doesn't mean anything but pressure, and volume of oil moved would be more useful, but I like the idea of being able to note a change in pressure. Say if I'm used to seeing 15psi at idle and one day it starts reading 3psi at idle with similar ambient temps.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 637 Likes on 325 Posts

I just wanted to point out that there's no way you'll see the thing while you're driving, and if you're pump quits while you're driving, there's no way you'll see it until it's way too late. Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to tell you what to do or anything, just want to make sure you know what you would be giving up (the low pressure indicator you could see when you're driving)

Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,115 Likes on 1,206 Posts

The lifters will start making noise way before you notice any oil pressure movement..Just listen to your engine instead of you iPod.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:11 AM
tmd442
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not using the particular one, I have a VDO gauge installed with the 45 deg. adapter

Attached Thumbnails Oil Pressure Guage-m_m_m_100_1781.jpg  
Old 03-03-2009, 12:53 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by d_slat
...just want to make sure you know what you would be giving up (the low pressure indicator you could see when you're driving)
I wasn't aware that I had to give up the dummy light on the dash if I install a mechanical psi gauge. I kinda figured that it would mount into a different hole or I could use a T fitting.

tmd442, you're gauge is pretty visible from that camera angle and distance. What diameter is it? Can you see it while riding? Nice bike by the way. I like the black pipes and onther wrinkle items.

Oh...the only music I listen to while riding is what comes out of the exhaust.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

My bike has (came with) both an idiot light and a pressure guage. They both screw into one block that screws into the engine block behind the #2 exhaust pushrod tube. You could probably get the same sender setup.

I like an oil pressure guage for the reasons listed. I also like an idiot light for the reasons listed. If I had to have one or the other, I'd choose an idiot light. My bike and my Esprit have both. Everything else I have has one or the other.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:10 AM
Buddy7394
Tourer
Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnlvr
I'm looking for anyone that's had experience with this oil pressure guage.

I posted this in the Dyna section for some reason and haven't had much luck.

I'm wondering if anyone has any pics of this one installed on their EVO or if anyone know the diameter of the face.

Thanks.
Jeremy.
Jeremy-

I have personal experience with this guage.. the face is 1 1/2"

That guage is an "Auto-Meter" guage.. Which is a good guage (for a auto)..
It's non liquid filled, for one thing. & meant to be put in dashboards inside cars.

Just not for on a Harley.... (Don't waste yer money)...

I contacted Auto-Meter about more info on this guage & they said it should not be used on Harleys. Plus it is not water resistant. They said it could take on water just washing yer bike.

I don't know why Wimmer, Jireh, Dennis Kirk & others are selling this type guage for Harleys.. I sent mine back to Wimmer & got a refund..

Best bet is to get a liquid filled one, The're water proof. & use a 45* degree set-up to see better.

Mine are 1 1/2" white face/ red needles & silicone filled (latest liquid used)
From Marshall Instruments..

www.marshallinstruments.com from Anaheim, CA.

I have no affiliation with Marshall, just bought some oil guages from them, & really liked them..

Only thing else needed was the adapter to thread in your tappet screen hole & I added a 45* fitting on that, looks just like tmd442 set-up is.. Easy to see..

And a guage with 0-60 lbs is all ya need.. More accurate also..

And of course I still have my Dash warning light.. (which I would never do away with..

Hope this helps..

Last edited by Buddy7394; 03-04-2009 at 01:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Guage