EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ever use these products for a rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009 | 05:06 PM
Brettfullthrottle
|
Road Captain
Default Ever use these products for a rebuild?

Hey guys,
I have had a couple of posts referring to the rebuild that I should have already started. I have been really sitting on the fence as far as cams go but here are the parts I believe I will use-wondering if anyone here has used them and most of all-are they reliable parts?
I finally decided to use the proven EV 27 cam. Thought about the woods6, EV13,and even the stock cam. This seems to be a proven cam with balance between power and reliability.
I am looking at getting my parts all from one supplier on the east coast for a total of 511.00 including shipping.They are as follows;
1.EV27 cam
2.cam shims
3.EZ quick connect Andrews pushrods(Chrome moly)
4.Crane lifters
5.Torrington bearing
6.All required seals,etc.
Now I could have gotten cheaper parts such as REV-TECH lifters-I dont know if I really trust REV TECH. He also had some pushrods by the name of Mad Dog?
If you guys could look over my list and tell me what you think that would be great! Thanks!
-Brett

Old 01-24-2009 | 05:54 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

I run an andrews EV-13 with stock HD lifters on my 93 FLHS 50K miles plus no complaints You will pick up some lifter noise Nature of the beast ! EV-27 is good I just prefer the 13 for heavier harleys

Old 01-24-2009 | 06:29 PM
pawpawsoftail
Novice

I just recentley had some of the same work done on my '99 Softail that you are doing. I went with the ev 27, and it made a huge difference, went with the better cam bearings, my mech. has been using the Rev-Tech stuff for years and loves it so we went with the rev-tech lifters, SS adjustable push rods, SS breather gear, redid the stock CV carb., KN air filter, Vance & Hines big radius pipes, and we went with the Crane Hi4 single fire ignition system. So far it's been the best $ I have spent, wish I would have done it earlier. The motor makes less noise also, may just be because of all the new parts. I kave put a little over a thousand miles on the stuff and still get a big grin when I gas the thing. Just a little imput for ya. Good luck and Ride Safe.

Last edited by pawpawsoftail; 01-24-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2009 | 04:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I ran an EV27 cam for a long while, before going more radical. It transformed the bike, with fabulous smooth torque. That was some years ago and the Andrews cam needed a shim. I seem to recall having to install the cam, to measure the thickness of shim needed, then buying the shim. You can't buy it in advance! I used the stock lifters and pushrods.

Old 01-25-2009 | 05:00 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

You are looking at a tried and true combination. Bring it really to life by increasung the compression via milling your heads. While you are at it, have the heads street ported and a performance valve job performed. Your engine will love you for it and you will enjoy a increase in power with no loss of reliability.

Stay away from the cheaper wofong made parts. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the impoved HD "B" lifter that can be purchased at a discount from Zanotti's or Chicago HD. I'm running a .595 lift V-Thunder cam in my EVO with V-Thunder lifters, SE Chromemoly adjustable pushrods and TP roller rockers. My engine is now quieter that it was when the EV-27 was installed (ramp design).

Good luck with you decision, but my V-Thunder lifters were about $120.00 a little more than the HD's were. Do not skimp to save a few bucks on internal parts, buy only the best.s

Old 01-25-2009 | 08:20 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

This is mostly an opinion poll which I try to avoid, but there are a few things you need to be aware of...

Andrews doesn't mark their cam gears for size (color dot) so it will have to be measured for tooth pitch on the gear in order to match-up the appropriate pinion gear. If you have to change the pinion gear, it's another 75.00 unless you snag one off ebay for less. You won't know until you get the new cam in hand and it's been measured. As mentioned earlier, no need to order shims, as that clearance will have to be checked upon installation. The shim you already have in the engine may work, but if not, most dealerships have an asortment and the clearance can be from .001 to .016 so you have a lot of room to play with.

The pushrods you chose are good, I won't argue the brands, but would advise avoiding tapered styles as they can cause clearance issues inside the pushtube covers sometimes.

So far as lifters, I'd go with stock HD. All dealerships carry them, they are good quality and priced competitively. So if one ever does fail, you can pick one up anywhere and save a lot of bucks over big brand names that charge for marketing costs.

Old 01-25-2009 | 11:48 AM
Brettfullthrottle
|
Road Captain

Did a little research since last night and here is what I discovered;
Direct harley parts has a speacial on cams EV27=120.00 I can also get Andrews EZ install aluminum pushrods for 92.95 (Do I REALLY need chrome molly?)
Checked with Chicago HD and stock lifters are 28.80 each.
In these economic times I am gonna pinch every penny I can(without sacrificing quality,of course!).
So,next question as stated earlier-difference between aluminum and chrome molly pushrods?

Old 01-25-2009 | 01:19 PM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master

Originally Posted by grbrown
I ran an EV27 cam for a long while, before going more radical. It transformed the bike, with fabulous smooth torque. That was some years ago and the Andrews cam needed a shim. I seem to recall having to install the cam, to measure the thickness of shim needed, then buying the shim. You can't buy it in advance! I used the stock lifters and pushrods.
Well, the Andrews cam is .050 shorter than the stock cam (of these year motors), so as long as your end play is within tolerance before you removed the stock cam, an .050 spacer will do ya.
I looked at those alluminum Mad Dog adjustable pushrods as well, but could'nt understand why there's were $60 a set, and everyone else was $120 and up. I did'nt take the chance.
Good luck with your build.... Ben.

Old 01-27-2009 | 09:04 AM
rezrider
Tourer

I installed a EV27 jims big axle lifters, and comp cam push rods in my 88' E-glide. I also got rid of the old butterfly carb and put on a late model CV, big sucker breather and max performance slip-ons. I love the way it pulls, strong as hell up to around 5K. I went riding Sunday with a friend who has a 2003 E-glide with minor mods. My EVO ate his twin cam up, my mileage has dropped about 2 mpg but I thinks thats because I can't quit twisting the throttle now. Twisting throttle=

Old 02-03-2009 | 04:14 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member

I have an EV13 also. I used my old cam gear to avoid the extra noise caused by having a new cam gear meshing with the old pinion gear.
If anything, the new cam improved fuel mileage slightly.
Aluminum ez install pushrods are plenty strong enough for a street bike.

Quick Reply: Ever use these products for a rebuild?