EVO All Evo Model Discussion

98 rocker arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:58 PM
rockerbox
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on another note, my 07 streetglide with 12,000 miles on it decided to break a tooth on the starter ring. i found it during a primary oil change. i dont want to buy a oem and want to know if you guys know wheres the best place to get better ring and basket. this has been a decent scoot for me but it has had its bugs. the worst is the intake sneezes in traffic. i almost got blistered a couple of times because of it. i got a vance and hines fuel pak to try to adjust it out of it, but that will have to wait until it gets warm. its freakin gonna get to 0 degrees tonite.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 PM
rockerbox
Novice

well back to my other problem child. i have a set of gage blocks and i gaged the distance of exposed threads on each pushrod and added a .100 block to my gaged distance. this should give me exactly what i need. right?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,911 Likes on 1,426 Posts

A thread pitch guage is like free. Use one to find out what thread pitch you have in there and then use the chart provided by t150vej.

On things like your ring gear, I like to stick with OEM. I know OEM quality. I don't know the quality of anything else out there.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:22 PM
rockerbox
Novice

im not trying to discredit by no means, i just thought this would be easier than having to count wrench flats and it wouldnt matter what your thread pitch was because i know what my distance is before i start adjusting the pushrod and i can gage the distance when im done. i do appreciate the help dont get me wrong i just think out of the box sometimes. in my trade gage blocks are used to set up sine plates for machining purposes.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:24 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Any tap and die set should have a TPI gauge..

Otherwise, your gauge blocks and calculations will get you close enough. We're talking .100".. +/- .050" wont tear anything up.. My theory says that even if you set it up at .190" (almost bottomed out)cold, when the jugs heat up and grow, you'll have plenty of room... But thats just me, I think you'll be fine..

Old 01-13-2009, 09:28 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rockerbox
im not trying to discredit by no means, i just thought this would be easier than having to count wrench flats and it wouldnt matter what your thread pitch was because i know what my distance is before i start adjusting the pushrod and i can gage the distance when im done. i do appreciate the help dont get me wrong i just think out of the box sometimes. in my trade gage blocks are used to set up sine plates for machining purposes.
Gauging from what? If the rods are in your hands, you dont have an accurate starting point. You'll need to take up any slack while they are installed, before adjusting out your additional .100".. Unless I'm missunderstanding you, that wont work the way you described it here. Flats are easy to count, mark one with a sharpie, then count each time it comes around as 1 full turn (6 flats)..