EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Oil Hose Clamp Install/Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:40 AM
surfingspleen
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Hose Clamp Install/Removal

I am adding a Jagg vertical oil cooler to my 1997 Low Rider and when I went to detach the oil hoses I noticed the clamps are kinda strange-looking one piece clamps. The clamps Jagg supplied are the screw type.

1. How can I remove the original clamps without damage?

2. Should I use the supplied clamps or order OEMs?

Appreciate any help.

Spleen

Old 01-06-2009, 07:50 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You can cut the orig clamps with a pair of wire cutters Use the ss screw type hose clamps for the cooler

Old 01-06-2009, 09:30 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The OEM fittings has three prongs bent over to lock it in place which can be bent straight to easily remove will a small flathead screwdriver. When these are installed, special pliers {HD-97087-65A} are used on the raised square-flats to give tension to the clamping mechanism so the hoses will not leak and the prongs are bent over to lock. The OEM will look "neater" but if the new kit came with screw-type, you can use those but you may have to adjust for clearance and you may not like the appearance; I used the screw-type on mine after removal and the screws are noticeable. Similar tool can be found at auto parts store; picture of this tool is in service manual. Recommend buying new oil lines (unless all of them come with kit) as they are probably molded to the flanges and will not pull off easy (I wanted to remove my oil tank on the '97 FLSTC to rebuild my starter but nixed that idea because lines could not come off without destroying them and didn't have replacements on-hand). Make sure to take note of feed, return, and tank vent lines so you hook back up correctly!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:20 PM
surfingspleen
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'll use a flathead screwdriver to get the clamps off and I guess it's simpler to use the "worm-type" adjustable clamps that came with the Jagg (hose was included also) at least they are black so maybe they won't look too bad. They probably wouldn't include them in the kit if they didn't work well but it seems to me the OEMs look tidier.

One hose is under the bike so appearance is not an issue but if the clamps on the cooler don't look good I'll buy an "Oeticker" http://chadstoolbox.com/index.asp?Pa...S&Category=109
and switch to the (ear?) non-adjustable clamps.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 01-07-2009, 06:34 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Oetiker is a brand name/manufacturer for pinch clamps. Several different styles of them too. (I do like their pliers the best - made by Knipex) You can use CV joint clamp pliers from the parts store if you have room. Or any pinch type plier. I used horse hoof cutters one time

And it's easiest/cheapest to get the clamps at the dealer unless you're going to do a lot of it. No matter what - get the ones that make a full circle - NO GAP and not all the ones the dealer may have are like that. They do make a nice professional looking job, but re-using them is a 50/50 possibility or less... and screw clamps will work OK.

PS: bought a genuine HD cooler kit for mine a few years back - it came with black screw-type clamps, but I used pinch clamps anyway... It doesn't matter what you use, so long as they don't leak and you're good with the looks

Last edited by t150vej; 01-07-2009 at 01:52 PM.