EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1985 evo softail engine removal??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009 | 10:57 AM
therealPIKO
|
4th Gear
Question 1985 evo softail engine removal??

Gents,

I have stripped my 85 softail in hopes to powder coat the frame and start a ground up rebuild. The evo is in great shape and runs nice, so i was hoping to avoid any engine work just yet. i am at the point where all i have to remove is the engine/tranny combo, and the frame will be completely stripped. i have had some differing advice and i am hoping to get some clarification from some seasoned vets (you guys). do i have to separate the engine frome the primary to remove it from the frame? I have the clymers manual and it may be more than me and my amateurs garage can handle. if I do have to separate them, does anyone have any tricks of the trade to make reassembly smoother? and do i need any specific tools?? thanx for any advice.

-PIKO

Old 01-01-2009 | 11:40 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Either gotta sep the engine from the primary, or the tranny from the primary. Not that hard with a couple tools and patience.

Use an electric or air impact to remove the engine sprocket nut. Or get a chunk of hardwood and make a "jambar" to lock the engine sprocket to the clutch hub sprocket, then use a breaker bar and socket to remove the engine sprocket nut. Remove the bolts holding the inner primary to the engine. Pull the engine out the right side.

Unbolt the tranny from the frame and remove the tranny/inner primary. Highly recommended, is to pull the clutch assembly, remove the inner primary from the tranny, and then pull the tranny. Bike this age would be a good candidate for a coupla new sprockets and a new chain. Clutch hub nut is left-hand thread!

Reassembly is roughly the reverse, except you line the engine and tranny up before putting the primary system back together. Your manual describes the line-up procedure.