EVO All Evo Model Discussion

stuburn oil filter...any tricks for removal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008 | 01:51 PM
btroy
|
Cruiser
Default stuburn oil filter...any tricks for removal?

I have an 89 FXR and I am trying to replace the oil filter. I know this thing comes off counter-clockwise but it is being a real PITA! I am at a point where the filter is now deformed/out of round.

I beleive I am turning it in the correct direction for removal. Basically pushing the oil filter wrench towards the front of the passenger side.

Anyone have any tips on removing an out of round filter.

Man I feel stupid even asking this!

Old 09-26-2008 | 02:01 PM
bkluck
1st Gear

if I understand you corectly, when you are sitting on the bike, the filter should be on the left side of the bike. and you should be turning the filter counter clock wise when you are looking at it.

Old 09-26-2008 | 02:16 PM
btroy
|
Cruiser

I have the wheels off to get new tires, so I thought it would be a good time for the oil change.

Anyway this SOB would not turn in any direction, I am turning it counter clockwise but the oil filter wrech got trashed. I ran a screwdriver all of the way through the filter but it just turns, the filter part that is. The colar on the oil fitler is not turning, its like the crome filter housing came loose from the colar that screws onto the oil filter housing.

I think I can get a chisel on the colar but I think if I am laying on the ground and looking straight into the wheel well then it should be coming off if I turn it to the right side of the bike.

The filter is directly in front of the back wheel so that is not the left or right side.

Old 09-26-2008 | 02:56 PM
btroy
|
Cruiser
Unhappy

OK, I had no choice but to cut the oil casing off of the filter, so now what I am looking at is the threads where the oil filter screws onto the oil filter housing. I was able to start screwing the new filter on so I know the correct direction to take it off.

Now I have a questions about heating the threads on the oil filter housing, will this mess anything up, as far as I know this is just the location where the oil filter attaches and no operational part in there. .....correct?

Note to self: NEVER use a chrome oil filter EVER again! Also always change my own oil!

I did not install this filter, it was done last year while on a roadtrip.

Old 09-26-2008 | 03:58 PM
btroy
|
Cruiser

Got it after heat and a cutting wheel

Old 09-26-2008 | 09:13 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Man, that one sounds tough. Glad you got it off OK. Personally, I use Genuine Toyota OEM oil filters. Just go to a Toyota dealer and ask for a filter for a 22R or 22RE motor. Much better quality than you can get elsewhere. They are even black.

Old 09-27-2008 | 12:18 AM
85FXWG
Outstanding HDF Member

I run a screw driver right thru the filter and turn, it works everytime when they get too tight and stuck.

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Man, that one sounds tough. Glad you got it off OK. Personally, I use Genuine Toyota OEM oil filters. Just go to a Toyota dealer and ask for a filter for a 22R or 22RE motor. Much better quality than you can get elsewhere. They are even black.

Old 09-27-2008 | 02:43 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

Or you can use a strap wrench. Never in the last 20 years of riding have I had an ordeal that you describe and I use chrome oil filters virtually every time. Someone must have seriously overtightened it. Make sure they did not cross thread it.

Old 09-27-2008 | 06:45 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member

be sure to oil the rubber gasket on the filter before you install it. when the gasket seats on the filter housing, maybe give it another 1/4 turn, no more than that.

Old 09-27-2008 | 07:29 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member

Did you get it off?

Quick Reply: stuburn oil filter...any tricks for removal?